GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tayberry growing and pruning etc (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/151676-tayberry-growing-pruning-etc.html)

Colin Jacobs 21-12-2006 05:33 PM

Tayberry growing and pruning etc

I have recently planted Tayberry Canes but have been told that they need to
be 3m from my neighbours plot.

Whilst moving them (I presume they can be moved before spring) I would like
to tidy them up and propagate some more.
I know very little about these and would welcome any advice on pruning etc.
I was running them along a fence but can they also be grown on wigwams?
Thanks
Col.

--
East Coast Nature Guides
Lowestoft

Rod[_1_] 21-12-2006 07:53 PM

"Colin Jacobs" wrote in message
I have recently planted Tayberry Canes but have been told that they
need to
be 3m from my neighbours plot.

Whilst moving them (I presume they can be moved before spring) I
would like to tidy them up and propagate some more. I know very
little about these and would welcome any advice on pruning etc.
I was running them along a fence but can they also be grown on
wigwams?
Thanks
Col.

I've never tried them on a wigwam, but I think it would need to be a
big one. I grew them along wires, ideally you need at least 4
horizontal wires evenly spaced from about 50cm high to as high as
you're prepared to reach. I train them in a form that approximates a
wide (very) fan. 1 plant can easily fill 6-8metres wide but so long as
you tie in the new growth to the wires you don't need to be very far
from your boundary - 1 1/2 to 2metres should be ample. New growth is
tied in loosely into a bunch more or less vertical in the centre of
the fan. At pruning time (Autumn/winter) remove all the old fruited
wood and tie in the new growth in a wide fan to replace what you've
cut out. Weak and surplus shoots should be removed along with the tips
of any canes that go beyond the allocated space. Don't propagate any
more unless you are exceedingly fond of tayberries, one plant will
give more than enough for a large hungry family. They're very good
with Mr Tesco's greek style yoghurt :-}
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Jim Jackson 21-12-2006 09:08 PM

Colin Jacobs wrote:
Whilst moving them (I presume they can be moved before spring) I would like
to tidy them up and propagate some more.

Propagation: like blackberries.

Bend over a shoot and bury the tip in the ground, holding it down with a
stone or similar. When tip has rooted cut shoot and you have a new plant.