GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Septic tank pollution testing. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/15185-septic-tank-pollution-testing.html)

Peter Hughes 16-04-2003 03:09 PM

Septic tank pollution testing.

Is there any way of testing for pollution levels in the region of a
septic tank soak-away? I'm not exactly sure where the land drains go
and I'd like to plant some veg. It's on clay soil if that's any help.

Thanks,
Peter.

Nick Maclaren 16-04-2003 03:21 PM

Septic tank pollution testing.

In article ,
Peter Hughes writes:
| Is there any way of testing for pollution levels in the region of a
| septic tank soak-away? I'm not exactly sure where the land drains go
| and I'd like to plant some veg. It's on clay soil if that's any help.

Why worry? If it is your own domestic tank, and you aren't putting
anything horrible down the drains, you won't expose yourself to
any nasties that you won't be exposed to anyway. You could be
cautious and plant only vegetables that are cooked before being
eaten, but even that is somewhat OTT.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jill Bell 16-04-2003 08:08 PM

Septic tank pollution testing.

In message , Peter Hughes
writes
Is there any way of testing for pollution levels in the region of a
septic tank soak-away? I'm not exactly sure where the land drains go
and I'd like to plant some veg. It's on clay soil if that's any help.

A sense of smell was always a good indicator when our septic tank
soakaway was not working properly........... pooooooh! The raspberries
round there always used to flourish and crop well:-)

Jill
--

http://www.bellsbarn.demon.co.uk
(Gardens, geraniums and photographs)