Old 02-01-2007, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Thank you everybody!

I now have an almost definative and very entertaining 'Composting FAQ'!
Much appreciated.
On inspection, my dalek like bin has striations of developing humus
with obvious and vigorous worm activity!

We are in the middle of (an admittedly, very warm) winter. And the
whole process has slowed down but I am still unable to envisage filling
it before next summer! It just keeps rotting and dropping!

Slowest to go a Pineapple leaves, Potatoes, Swede skin and
cardboard. I have stopped with the fish but my wife keeps including
orange peel and eggshells. They will still be there next winter!

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tulpa wrote:

We are in the middle of (an admittedly, very warm) winter. And the
whole process has slowed down but I am still unable to envisage filling
it before next summer! It just keeps rotting and dropping!

Well done Richard, as the level is dropping it shows that it is doing
exactly what you want it to. Unlike one of my green daleks, it is
still full and has not dropped at all. It's entirely my fault, I had
some lawn taken up and the entire lot went into the dalek. I have a
solution which will keep my husband busy when we get home to England -
although he may find it a bit cold nipping out there at night!

Judith Lea - at home in France

Old 02-01-2007, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Red Tomato wrote:

I agree with the bloody pineapple leaves- had some in the bin for about
four months, not going anywhere!!! and I noticed the savoy cabbage
really hangs around as well.

Barbara from

www.all-about-tomatoes.com

Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 2, 10:19 pm, "Red Tomato" wrote:
Red Tomato wrote:I agree with the bloody pineapple leaves- had some in the bin for about
four months, not going anywhere!!! and I noticed the savoy cabbage
really hangs around as well.

You are so right! Interesting, considering how very full of protein
rotting enzimes pineapples are!

Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Red Tomato writes

Red Tomato wrote:

I agree with the bloody pineapple leaves- had some in the bin for about
four months, not going anywhere!!! and I noticed the savoy cabbage
really hangs around as well.

Barbara from

You're not even trying! If you want longevity, try avocado stones, date
stones and wine corks. And the outer network of spines from defunct
cacti ;-)

www.all-about-tomatoes.com

--
Kay
Old 02-01-2007, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

judith lea writes

Tulpa wrote:

We are in the middle of (an admittedly, very warm) winter. And the
whole process has slowed down but I am still unable to envisage filling
it before next summer! It just keeps rotting and dropping!

Well done Richard, as the level is dropping it shows that it is doing
exactly what you want it to. Unlike one of my green daleks, it is
still full and has not dropped at all. It's entirely my fault, I had
some lawn taken up and the entire lot went into the dalek.

That's got a high soil content - you wouldn't expect it to drop very
much, if at all. But I'd have left it in a heap rather than waste
valuable dalek space on something that will rot down very nicely just in
a heap on its own.
--
Kay
Old 03-01-2007, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

That's got a high soil content - you wouldn't expect it to drop very
much, if at all. But I'd have left it in a heap rather than waste
valuable dalek space on something that will rot down very nicely just in
a heap on its own.
--
Kay

I have a huge heap that didn't go into the daleks, the gardener piled
it, wall like and told me it would rot down. I now have a grass wall -
Edward will soon be taking trips to the daleks and the grass wall!

Old 09-01-2007, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Red Tomato writes

Red Tomato wrote:

I agree with the bloody pineapple leaves- had some in the bin for
about four months, not going anywhere!!! and I noticed the savoy
cabbage really hangs around as well.

Barbara from

You're not even trying! If you want longevity, try avocado stones,
date stones and wine corks. And the outer network of spines from
defunct cacti ;-)

I keep wine corks as "crocks" for my pots. I will try and remember that
avocado stones work too! Hmm. Will lychee stones also work, do you
think?
--
Linz
Wet Yorks via Cambridge, York, London and Watford

Old 09-01-2007, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Amethyst Deceiver
writes
K wrote:
Red Tomato writes

Red Tomato wrote:

I agree with the bloody pineapple leaves- had some in the bin for
about four months, not going anywhere!!! and I noticed the savoy
cabbage really hangs around as well.

Barbara from

You're not even trying! If you want longevity, try avocado stones,
date stones and wine corks. And the outer network of spines from
defunct cacti ;-)

I keep wine corks as "crocks" for my pots. I will try and remember that
avocado stones work too! Hmm. Will lychee stones also work, do you
think?

I have never used wine corks and we drink wine, so thanks for that. I
shall give it a go. I used to use pieces of polystyrene but they flake
off when you are breaking them up, so I gave up on that one.
--
June Hughes

Old 10-01-2007, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Amethyst Deceiver
writes

I keep wine corks as "crocks" for my pots. I will try and remember
that avocado stones work too! Hmm. Will lychee stones also work, do
you think?

I have never used wine corks and we drink wine, so thanks for that. I
shall give it a go. I used to use pieces of polystyrene but they
flake off when you are breaking them up, so I gave up on that one.

If you get things that have been packaged in polystyrene 'peanuts'
they're good, too!