GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is it too early to buy seed potatoes? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/152083-too-early-buy-seed-potatoes.html)

Alan Holmes 05-01-2007 05:30 PM

Is it too early to buy seed potatoes?

Whilst being in a garden centre today, under orders from SWMBO, I noticed
they had bags of seed potatoes on sale, I would have thought it a bit early
to buy them, or am I being normally silly?

Alan

Robert[_2_] 05-01-2007 05:45 PM

Alan Holmes wrote:
: Whilst being in a garden centre today, under orders from SWMBO, I
: noticed they had bags of seed potatoes on sale, I would have thought
: it a bit early to buy them, or am I being normally silly?
:
: Alan

Maybe slightly early but not by a lot. As long as you have somewhere well
lit, cool and frost free to chit them you should be ok

Alan McKenzie 05-01-2007 07:35 PM

Is it too early to buy seed potatoes?

I have mine now
I ordered them from Marshalls - they say they will deliver from Nov onwards.
Had mine just before Xmas.
they are chitting now in egg boxes
Not sure if this advice I was given is sound but if they sprout too early
for you to put in the ground then you can rub the sprouts off and then let
them re-grow
I'm told that the ideal is to have 4 sprouting to a length of about an inch
and that they should be green
hope this helps and if my info is incorrect then I'm sure it will be
corrected.

Alan

Jim Paterson 05-01-2007 08:40 PM

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Whilst being in a garden centre today, under orders from SWMBO, I noticed
they had bags of seed potatoes on sale, I would have thought it a bit
early to buy them, or am I being normally silly?

Alan

Remember they have already been harvested (last year) and stored for some
some time so as long as you keep them dark, cool and frost free they will be
ok. naturally do not plant out until usual time for variety - lates early &
earlies late. March-May