Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kaz Kaz is offline

Default Is the uk.rec.gardening silly season over yet???

With due respect I think the 60cm depth suggestion may be overkill. Unless
the bamboo is a "giant" species the lateral rhizomes are unlikely to run
more than a foot deep so IMHO a barrier or trench 15-18 inches deep should
be ample.
Regards,
Christina

"Delivery Boy" wrote in message
I have a clump of bamboo which is twenty feet tall, width is 4 feet by
8 feet. It was grown to provide shadow over a lily and fish pond. It
has performed very well. However, keeping it from spreading has
always been a problem. This did not matter a great deal because
I had a field on three sides, the horses and cows did a great job in
keeping it cropped. All good things come to an end and a new housing
development is about to start in the afore said field. The survey team
drew my attention to 8 root runs each putting up from 5 to 9 clumps of
well cropped bamboo shoots. This according to the team leader is no
problem because they will be taking off about 4 to 5 feet of soil.

My problem is this. I will have to prevent further wanderings in the
future. I'm sure not many of the new owners will share my enthusiasm
for bamboo. What effective measures can I take, which will not harm
my bamboo and be low in maintenance? Anyone any experience?

Regards,

DG

Old 05-01-2007, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kaz writes
With due respect I think the 60cm depth suggestion may be overkill. Unless
the bamboo is a "giant" species the lateral rhizomes are unlikely to run
more than a foot deep so IMHO a barrier or trench 15-18 inches deep should
be ample.
Regards,
Christina

Wow, I thought 20 ft impressive! What size do "giant" bamboos reach in
this country?

.. .

--
Kay
Old 05-01-2007, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Kaz writes
With due respect I think the 60cm depth suggestion may be overkill. Unless
the bamboo is a "giant" species the lateral rhizomes are unlikely to run
more than a foot deep so IMHO a barrier or trench 15-18 inches deep should
be ample.
Regards,
Christina

Wow, I thought 20 ft impressive! What size do "giant" bamboos reach in
this country?

Phyllostachys 'Shanghai 3' grows to 11m. and is supposedley the tallest-but
there is a pile of new and more exotic stuff hitting the UK shores anytime
now. No doubt it will be expensive but if it's even taller then it will
sell:-)
I think some of these boos will take over from Leylandii and get an even
worse reputation.

. ..

Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kaz" wrote in message
[...]

I have seen bamboo go under a wall with its foundations and reappear through
the tarmac the other side! I have also seen them punch straight through the
barrier the sell for stopping it.
My advice for a boundary planting would be an unfilled trench and just cut
it off when you see it.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Gardening season about over here ... Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 8 18-09-2015 08:43 PM
Silly season Muddymike United Kingdom 16 17-07-2009 03:01 PM
Is the uk.rec.gardening silly season over yet??? Pam Moore United Kingdom 1 08-01-2007 09:42 AM
Is the uk.rec.gardening silly season over yet??? Leslie United Kingdom 0 05-01-2007 05:45 PM
Is the uk.rec.gardening silly season over yet??? Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) United Kingdom 0 05-01-2007 12:53 PM