GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pampas Grass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/152098-pampas-grass.html)

Red Tomato 06-01-2007 01:43 PM

Pampas Grass

Hi Guys

I have a HUGE clump of pampas grass and want to cut back but have NO
idea where to start, any ideas on how to do this and when?

Thanks

Barbara from

www.all-about-tomatoes.com

Nick Maclaren 06-01-2007 02:01 PM

Pampas Grass

In article . com,
"Red Tomato" writes:

| I have a HUGE clump of pampas grass and want to cut back but have NO
| idea where to start, any ideas on how to do this and when?

Wait until the hedgehogs have woken up (they often hibernate under it),
ask that nice Mr Blair for one of his surplus Iraqi weapons of mass
destruction, and nuke it. If he hasn't got one spare, just set light
to it. If you are in no hurry, wait until autumn before doing that.

Seriously. The worst problem is if it isn't in a location where
burning it is safe. Cutting it back by hand is a sanguinary experience.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

ogglet 06-01-2007 02:31 PM

Pampas Grass

If you just want to cut it back (make it smaller) and not eradicate it
altogether. (in which case fire is indeed the most effective
method...eventually). Just use an electric hedge trimmer and ruthlessly cut
away until you just have a ball of brown dead material left in the
middle...It wont stay this way for long, in 2 seasons you'll be back where
you started

Ian
ups.com...

Jim Paterson 06-01-2007 06:04 PM

Pampas Grass

and don't forget to wear a good pair of gloves. Pampas grass leaves can cut
you to ribbons.

JennyC 07-01-2007 07:51 AM

Pampas Grass

"Jim Paterson" wrote in message
and don't forget to wear a good pair of gloves. Pampas grass leaves can
cut you to ribbons.

Its an invasive plant in lots of places...........
http://www.hotkey.net.au/~d.elliott/pampas.htm
Jenny

Mike Lyle[_1_] 07-01-2007 02:22 PM

Pampas Grass

JennyC wrote:
"Jim Paterson" wrote in message
and don't forget to wear a good pair of gloves. Pampas grass leaves can
cut you to ribbons.

Its an invasive plant in lots of places...........
http://www.hotkey.net.au/~d.elliott/pampas.htm
Jenny

Let's hope RT isn't in Tasmania, then! I was interested to see from
that site that it had been regarded as a fodder crop: I assume this
would be the young shoots, as I can't easily imagine cattle tucking
into the mature hacksaw blades.

--
Mike.