Old 09-01-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Okay, we can't garden so.........

what seeds, plants, bulbs have people ordered for this year? Anything new
for you? Any new plants you haven't tried before.
For those of you for whom the weather is calm and pleasant - no gloating
please!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-01-2007, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
: what seeds, plants, bulbs have people ordered for this year?
: Anything new for you? Any new plants you haven't tried before.
: For those of you for whom the weather is calm and pleasant - no
: gloating please!

Rough as rats here in Plymouth but I did manage to sow some more broad beans
and prune the gooseberries on Sunday. I am trying a few different seeds this
year, one of which is cardoon (Gigante Di Romangna). This is really for
novelty value but any tips on culture or use of the plant will be
appreciated.

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 09-01-2007, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
what seeds, plants, bulbs have people ordered for this year? Anything new
for you? Any new plants you haven't tried before.
For those of you for whom the weather is calm and pleasant - no gloating
please!

Well the weather here is obviously not as bad as your's but still not
pleasant enough to venture out to do some digging, not that I'm able to at
the moment, when I do start it will all be vegetables, have no interest in
flowers at all.

I would not have thought of planting broad beans yet, but I usually get the
times wrong anyway!(:-)

I'll be growing the usual rubbish, potatoes, runner beans, strawberries and
raspberries, tomatoes, sweet corn, leeks and a number of other things which
I cannot bring to mind at the moment.

All I can hope for is that the senile decay does not get any worse, it's
quite annoying to get up from the chair and wonder what the hell you have
stood up for!(:-)

Alan

Old 09-01-2007, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
what seeds, plants, bulbs have people ordered for this year? Anything new
for you? Any new plants you haven't tried before.
For those of you for whom the weather is calm and pleasant - no gloating
please!

Well the weather here is obviously not as bad as your's but still not
pleasant enough to venture out to do some digging, not that I'm able to at
the moment, when I do start it will all be vegetables, have no interest in
flowers at all.

I would not have thought of planting broad beans yet, but I usually get the
times wrong anyway!(:-)

I'll be growing the usual rubbish, potatoes, runner beans, strawberries and
raspberries, tomatoes, sweet corn, leeks and a number of other things which
I cannot bring to mind at the moment.

Rubbish? Now you are being too modest, Alan.
All I can hope for is that the senile decay does not get any worse, it's
quite annoying to get up from the chair and wonder what the hell you have
stood up for!(:-)

Alan

--
June Hughes
Old 09-01-2007, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

what seeds, plants, bulbs have people ordered for this year? Anything new
for you?

I've got a couple of new catalogs, and I'm keen to expand the few
blackcurrants I put in last year. I've asked my sweetie to look through
the catalogs and make suggestions, and some Pagan spring planting rituals
will be in order.

So far in the Northeastern American colonies, we really haven't had winter,
but predictions are for something resembling it to come in as a Canadian
import in the next few days.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:

what seeds, plants, bulbs have people ordered for this year? Anything new
for you?

I've got a couple of new catalogs, and I'm keen to expand the few
blackcurrants I put in last year. I've asked my sweetie to look through
the catalogs and make suggestions, and some Pagan spring planting rituals
will be in order.

So far in the Northeastern American colonies, we really haven't had
winter,
but predictions are for something resembling it to come in as a Canadian
import in the next few days.

Neither have we in the Westcountry of England, record overnight temperatures
of 12.3 C last night in Devon ( we're verboten to know what that is in
Fahrenheit ).

Andy

Old 10-01-2007, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andy wrote:

So far in the Northeastern American colonies, we really haven't had
winter, but predictions are for something resembling it to come in as a Canadian
import in the next few days.

Neither have we in the Westcountry of England, record overnight temperatures
of 12.3 C last night in Devon ( we're verboten to know what that is in
Fahrenheit ).

Ah, well that is 54F give or take an inch Winter hasn't arrived
here on the south Devon coast either. The average temperatures for
December were 11.9C (52F) by day and 8.06 (46F) by night. So far, Jan
has given days averaging 12.89C (55F) and nights of 9.33 (49F) with
nothing below 6C (43F). Ignoring last winter (which for us was
unusually cold), temperatures are some 2C up on previous recent years.

A flower stem on a Crinum (Crinum moorei) that appeared very late in
the year has developed yet more buds. These are opening, but the
ravages of hailstorms, heavy rain and a fair amount of wind are taking
their toll. Even a climbing Bauhinia has refused to shed its leaves
and is still opening a few dishevilled flowers.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/1/07 19:54, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Oh dear, I think we're all familiar with that one! We'll grow tomatoes but
I don't think we're likely to grow much more than that. Not only is it a
question of space, it's also time. Once things get really busy customer
wise everything else goes by the board.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/1/07 08:06, in article
, "DavePoole Torquay"
wrote:

Andy wrote:

[...]

Any minute now you'll tell us that the Hardenbergia is in full flower. ;-)
Actually, the one we gave my son is attempting to flower now in Jersey and
an Alyogyne he has outside has a flower open. It makes us very envious.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
what seeds, plants, bulbs have people ordered for this year? Anything
new
for you? Any new plants you haven't tried before.
For those of you for whom the weather is calm and pleasant - no gloating
please!

Well the weather here is obviously not as bad as your's but still not
pleasant enough to venture out to do some digging, not that I'm able to at
the moment, when I do start it will all be vegetables, have no interest in
flowers at all.

I would not have thought of planting broad beans yet, but I usually get
the times wrong anyway!(:-)

I'll be growing the usual rubbish, potatoes, runner beans, strawberries
and raspberries, tomatoes, sweet corn, leeks and a number of other things
which I cannot bring to mind at the moment.

My wife will do potatoes (like desiree and might try maris piper this year);
she does the digging and likes doing it.
and we will probably do tomatoes in the greenhouse (sungold plus one other).
My wish list for this year is headed by pumpkins. Last year I ended up
growing one plant by accident (meant to do more) and got 2 pumpkins and they
were a revelation. This year I want to grow 3 or 4 plants.
I am also a glutton for fashion whims and now want globe artichokes after
seeing that Carol Klein digging up muddy handfuls and making chips.
Otherwise, every year, I promise I will start Asparagus and never do.
Finally, I want to try peas and or broad beans.
The other new years resolutions, I have forgotten :-)

Des in Dublin

Old 10-01-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:

what seeds, plants, bulbs have people ordered for this year? Anything
new
for you?

I've got a couple of new catalogs, and I'm keen to expand the few
blackcurrants I put in last year. I've asked my sweetie to look through
the catalogs and make suggestions, and some Pagan spring planting rituals
will be in order.

So far in the Northeastern American colonies, we really haven't had
winter,
but predictions are for something resembling it to come in as a Canadian
import in the next few days.

Neither have we in the Westcountry of England, record overnight
temperatures of 12.3 C last night in Devon ( we're verboten to know what
that is in Fahrenheit ).

For a rough estimate, double it and add 30!

Alan

Andy

Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:

what seeds, plants, bulbs have people ordered for this year? Anything
new
for you?

I've got a couple of new catalogs, and I'm keen to expand the few
blackcurrants I put in last year. I've asked my sweetie to look through
the catalogs and make suggestions, and some Pagan spring planting
rituals
will be in order.

So far in the Northeastern American colonies, we really haven't had
winter,
but predictions are for something resembling it to come in as a Canadian
import in the next few days.

Neither have we in the Westcountry of England, record overnight
temperatures of 12.3 C last night in Devon ( we're verboten to know what
that is in Fahrenheit ).

For a rough estimate, double it and add 30!

I was brough up with feet, inches, pounds, stones, miles and LSD (old money)
but I was lucky to have always used Centigrade. I am not sure why, but it
was usually commoner in Ireland, certainly since the 1960s. Do younger
(i.e. under age of 40 :-) UK folks use centigrade or farenheit?
Farenheit is hard work.
I lived in Germany for a bit and have now gotten used to kilos and
kilometers and have been using decimal currency since it came in but still
cannot get used to measuring people (height or weight) except in feet and
stones.
Temperature in centigrade is nice and simple though, thankfully.

Alan

Andy

Old 10-01-2007, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
My wish list for this year is headed by pumpkins. Last year I ended up
growing one plant by accident (meant to do more) and got 2 pumpkins and they
were a revelation. This year I want to grow 3 or 4 plants.

We really enjoy growing the italian varieties from
http://www.seedsofitaly.com/catalogue/8. There's a dark flesh variety
on the organic section which is amazing roasted.

I am also a glutton for fashion whims and now want globe artichokes after
seeing that Carol Klein digging up muddy handfuls and making chips.

Interesting that. I usually eat my globe artichokes with a vinaigrette
;o)

Otherwise, every year, I promise I will start Asparagus and never do.
Finally, I want to try peas and or broad beans.

There the easiest ones !! This year I'm doing Monstrueux de Carantan
leeks - a childhood leek variety which grow as thick as my arm and
Jubilee Hysor and Sutton broad beans for experiment. The later is
perfect for exposed gardens - I found this claim funny so I thought
I'll try them.

The other new years resolutions, I have forgotten :-)

Just as well - you are what you is )

Old 10-01-2007, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

I am also a glutton for fashion whims and now want globe artichokes after
seeing that Carol Klein digging up muddy handfuls and making chips.
Des in Dublin

Are those the Irish undeground version of Jerusalem Artichokes:-)

Old 10-01-2007, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

I am also a glutton for fashion whims and now want globe artichokes after
seeing that Carol Klein digging up muddy handfuls and making chips.
Des in Dublin

Are those the Irish undeground version of Jerusalem Artichokes:-)

Ahhhhhhhhh bugger!!!
got me Cynaras and me Helianthusses mixed up so I did.
That's a fair cop guv.
(both silly names anyway :-)