GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   small worms in potatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/152231-small-worms-potatoes.html)

Andy 11-01-2007 03:25 PM

small worms in potatoes

Hi,

I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.

Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do? The best
approach I can think off at the moment is to order a different variety
to last year, maybe some thing disease resistant like Kestrel.

Thanks,
Andy

Sacha[_1_] 11-01-2007 04:04 PM

small worms in potatoes

On 11/1/07 15:25, in article
, "Andy"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.

Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do? The best
approach I can think off at the moment is to order a different variety
to last year, maybe some thing disease resistant like Kestrel.

We were given a batch of potatoes something as you describe. Ray said baby
slugs, possibly. ;-(
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Alan Holmes 11-01-2007 05:19 PM

small worms in potatoes

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 11/1/07 15:25, in article
, "Andy"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.

Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do? The best
approach I can think off at the moment is to order a different variety
to last year, maybe some thing disease resistant like Kestrel.

We were given a batch of potatoes something as you describe. Ray said
baby
slugs, possibly. ;-(

I'm sure he is right, Ray that is, I had a lot of them in my potatoes last
year, never had anything like that before, I did wonder whether it was
restricted to maincrop, so this year I'm only going to use first earlies and
second earlies.

Alan

La Puce 11-01-2007 05:42 PM

small worms in potatoes

Andy wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.
Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do? The best
approach I can think off at the moment is to order a different variety
to last year, maybe some thing disease resistant like Kestrel.

It's wireworms (Agriotes lineatus) and we've all had problems with them
this year. I've heard of few reports on sciarid too, because of the
weather, the flies made their ways to the potatoes more easily. Once
the agriotes make a tunnel in the potatoes, the slugs get in there.

Kestrel is nice, great chips! But you didn't have a disease problem,
you had a pest problem :o)

Robert[_2_] 11-01-2007 07:01 PM

small worms in potatoes

La Puce wrote:
: Andy wrote:
:: Hi,
::
:
: It's wireworms (Agriotes lineatus) and we've all had problems with
: them this year. I've heard of few reports on sciarid too, because of
: the weather, the flies made their ways to the potatoes more easily.
: Once the agriotes make a tunnel in the potatoes, the slugs get in
: there.
:
: Kestrel is nice, great chips! But you didn't have a disease problem,
: you had a pest problem :o)

I agree with La Puce on this one

Gill Matthews 11-01-2007 07:07 PM

small worms in potatoes

In article . com, says...
Hi,

I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.

Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do? The best
approach I can think off at the moment is to order a different variety
to last year, maybe some thing disease resistant like Kestrel.

Thanks,
Andy

They are most likely first hatch slugs. Growing n early maincrop like
kestrel (a lovely spud and one of my favourites) will help because you
will get the crop out of the ground before infestation levels get too
high.

Bob Hobden 11-01-2007 11:53 PM

small worms in potatoes

"Andy" wrote
I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.

Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do? The best
approach I can think off at the moment is to order a different variety
to last year, maybe some thing disease resistant like Kestrel.

Did they look a bit stiff (wireworm) or soft a squidgy like a slug?

--
Regards
Bob H

Andy 12-01-2007 11:24 AM

small worms in potatoes

Squidgy like a slug.

I hadn't crossed my mind that it could be a slug problem.
The allotment I'm using had been unused for years so maybe there were
more problems with slugs than usual. I did grow some earlies and they
weren't nearly as badly effected. I thought it was because they were a
different variety.

Interesting to see how popular Kestrel spuds are. I think I'll give
them a go, last year I tried Verity, lovely for roasties but not too
great for anything else.

"Andy" wrote

Sacha[_1_] 12-01-2007 12:28 PM

small worms in potatoes

On 12/1/07 11:24, in article
, "Andy"
wrote:

Squidgy like a slug.

I hadn't crossed my mind that it could be a slug problem.
The allotment I'm using had been unused for years so maybe there were
more problems with slugs than usual. I did grow some earlies and they
weren't nearly as badly effected. I thought it was because they were a
different variety.

snip

Some could be more prone to the problem than others, I wouldn't know. I'd
suggest you do a little internet research on the use of Nematodes which are
very effective. But the treatment must be kept up.

Alan Holmes 12-01-2007 04:07 PM

small worms in potatoes

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/1/07 11:24, in article
, "Andy"
wrote:

Squidgy like a slug.

I hadn't crossed my mind that it could be a slug problem.
The allotment I'm using had been unused for years so maybe there were
more problems with slugs than usual. I did grow some earlies and they
weren't nearly as badly effected. I thought it was because they were a
different variety.

snip

Some could be more prone to the problem than others, I wouldn't know. I'd
suggest you do a little internet research on the use of Nematodes which
are
very effective. But the treatment must be kept up.

But it can become expensive.

Alan

Sacha[_1_] 12-01-2007 04:31 PM

small worms in potatoes

On 12/1/07 16:07, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
I'd
suggest you do a little internet research on the use of Nematodes which
are
very effective. But the treatment must be kept up.

But it can become expensive.

It can but it's probably cheaper than losing an entire allotment full of
veg. ;-( And a lot of people don't want to use pellets or sprays on stuff
they're going to eat.

Rod[_1_] 12-01-2007 06:31 PM

small worms in potatoes

"Andy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of
my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I
gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.

Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do?

Did they curl up into a little circle? Too small at this stage to see
legs, but I think what you saw were baby millipedes exploiting the
damage done by slugs to gain access to the potato flesh. You'll see
the same critters under a rotten strawberry for the same reason.
So varieties not favoured by slugs and or the nematode parasite of
slugs. For suitable varieties look up any of Bob's and my postings on
the subject and you'll end up thoroughly confused ;~) On our heavy
soil I like Desiree.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Alan Holmes 12-01-2007 06:48 PM

small worms in potatoes

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/1/07 16:07, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
I'd
suggest you do a little internet research on the use of Nematodes which
are
very effective. But the treatment must be kept up.

But it can become expensive.

It can but it's probably cheaper than losing an entire allotment full of
veg. ;-( And a lot of people don't want to use pellets or sprays on
stuff
they're going to eat.

True, but pellets cannot be absorbed by potatoes, surely?

Alan

Bob Hobden 12-01-2007 06:48 PM

small worms in potatoes

"Andy" wrote after...
Bob Hobden wrote in reply to
"Andy" who wrote
[...]

We have a constant problem with slugs both on the previous allotment and the
new one.
Tried Nematodes, rather expensive and no discernable difference to other
years, they need the ground kept nice and moist which can be difficult here
some summers. Cheaper to buy organic spuds ready grown.

Our way to deal with this is to plant spuds that are a touch resistant to
slug damage but still excellent for cooking,
such as the ones we plant...
Kestral ...SE
Romano...MC (stores well) (red)
Spey...MC

others to try with good resistance are...
Hermes
Lady Rosetta
Maritima
Misdas
Pentland Dell

You will still get some damage and resistance does seem to differ depending
on your soil etc, if one doesn't do too well for you try a different one
next year etc.until you find one that works in your soil and you like the
taste of. Better still go to a Potato Day and get a few tubers of each of
them and trial them all this year, just make sure you label them well and
keep them seperate after harvest so you know what to get next year.

Potato Days, details at...
http://thewhitchurchweb.org/potatoday/potatodays.htm

ps. Verity ...SE does not appear to have been tested for slug resistance
(or it has none)

--
Regards
Bob H

Sacha[_1_] 12-01-2007 06:53 PM

small worms in potatoes

On 12/1/07 18:48, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

snip
We have a constant problem with slugs both on the previous allotment and the
new one.
Tried Nematodes, rather expensive and no discernable difference to other
years, they need the ground kept nice and moist which can be difficult here
some summers. Cheaper to buy organic spuds ready grown.

Is the keeping the ground moist problem due to a hosepipe ban for you, Bob?
I ask because, otherwise, those wishing to use nematodes might not have that
problem. It's not just the potatoes, though, it's the other goodies slugs
just lurve.