GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/152365-hat-sunshield-gardening.html)

Michael 17-01-2007 08:36 PM

Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

My garden is very exposed to the elements and in the Summer I can only
average about 2 hours gardening a day because of the sun on my neck.

I do use a sunhat but this isn't enough. Can someone suggest a stockist of a
sunhat with flaps ?

Thanks.

Michael

K 17-01-2007 09:18 PM

Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

Michael writes
My garden is very exposed to the elements and in the Summer I can only
average about 2 hours gardening a day because of the sun on my neck.

I do use a sunhat but this isn't enough. Can someone suggest a stockist of a
sunhat with flaps ?

Have you tried Travelling Light?
--
Kay

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 17-01-2007 09:21 PM

"Michael" [email protected] wrote in message
My garden is very exposed to the elements and in the Summer I can only
average about 2 hours gardening a day because of the sun on my neck.

I do use a sunhat but this isn't enough. Can someone suggest a stockist of
a sunhat with flaps ?

Thanks.

Michael

I too use a sunhat sometimes. To protect my neck I stick a tea towel on my
head first. Red Gingham of course.
I fancy myself as Lawrence of Arabia -others think I am daft:-)

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 17-01-2007 09:25 PM

Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

"Michael" [email protected] wrote in message
My garden is very exposed to the elements and in the Summer I can only
average about 2 hours gardening a day because of the sun on my neck.

I do use a sunhat but this isn't enough. Can someone suggest a stockist of
a sunhat with flaps ?

Thanks.

Google sunhat with flaps
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/is...opscr1710.html

Michael

[email protected] 17-01-2007 09:32 PM

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Michael" [email protected] wrote in message
My garden is very exposed to the elements and in the Summer I can only
average about 2 hours gardening a day because of the sun on my neck.

I do use a sunhat but this isn't enough. Can someone suggest a stockist of
a sunhat with flaps ?

Thanks.

Michael

I too use a sunhat sometimes. To protect my neck I stick a tea towel on my
head first. Red Gingham of course.
I fancy myself as Lawrence of Arabia -others think I am daft:-)

Not as daft as me, when I saw the thread I thought it said Hat With
Gunshield for Gardening!!!

Judith at home in England

cineman 18-01-2007 12:01 AM

Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

Baseball cap with large brim worn wrong way round?

Most Garden centres sell a variety of hats with large brims all round.
After having a couple of skin cancers removed I always wear a hat outside in
sun, whether it be spring summer or autumn.
regards
Cineman

Sacha 18-01-2007 09:54 AM

Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

On 18/1/07 00:01, in article
, "cineman"
wrote:

Baseball cap with large brim worn wrong way round?

Most Garden centres sell a variety of hats with large brims all round.
After having a couple of skin cancers removed I always wear a hat outside in
sun, whether it be spring summer or autumn.
regards
Cineman

http://www.kakadookids.co.uk/index.html
is an American site but emailing them might produce the name of a UK outlet.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Nick Maclaren 18-01-2007 10:05 AM

Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| I too use a sunhat sometimes. To protect my neck I stick a tea towel on my
| head first. Red Gingham of course.
| I fancy myself as Lawrence of Arabia -others think I am daft:-)

T.E. Lawrence always wore white. A. Pedant.

'Tain't daft at all - even I have been known to do it, on the very rare
occasions when I have needed to protect myself from the sun. After the
bridge of the nose, the back of the neck is the most exposed location
with normal western dress. Don't ask me why the tips of the ears don't
beat both of them, but they seem to come in a poor third.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Tom 18-01-2007 10:50 AM

Sacha wrote:

http://www.kakadookids.co.uk/index.html
is an American site but emailing them might produce the name of a UK
outlet.

It has a .co.uk website and email address and it's postal address is
Kakadoo Kids Ltd, 12 Tranter Road, Aberlady, United Kingdom, EH32 0UE

What makes you think it is an American site?

Tom

Sacha 18-01-2007 01:12 PM

Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

On 18/1/07 10:50, in article , "Tom"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

http://www.kakadookids.co.uk/index.html
is an American site but emailing them might produce the name of a UK
outlet.

It has a .co.uk website and email address and it's postal address is
Kakadoo Kids Ltd, 12 Tranter Road, Aberlady, United Kingdom, EH32 0UE

What makes you think it is an American site?

Thanks for the correction! I thought I saw prices in dollars - admittedly I
was googling very quickly. But all the better.

Les Hemmings 18-01-2007 02:05 PM

Michael wrote:
My garden is very exposed to the elements and in the Summer I can only
average about 2 hours gardening a day because of the sun on my neck.

I do use a sunhat but this isn't enough. Can someone suggest a
stockist of a sunhat with flaps ?

Thanks.

Michael

I have a Tilley Hat, viewed here by brim size. Pick a light colour with
dark underbrim for sunlight protection...

http://www.tilleyuk.com/hat_thumbnai...=1&hat_catId=3

Mines been washed in the washine machine, driven over, bleached (don't ask)
lost for months in woodland, found (washed again), used for scrumping and
works in rain or heat... and it's still the only hat i own for working in
the nursery or out and about. Lifetime warranty, just take it to shop and
swap it for a new one.... not needed to in 15 years.

(No, i don't work for them... )

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd
time!"

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Robert[_3_] 18-01-2007 08:38 PM

Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

In message , Les Hemmings
writes
Michael wrote:
My garden is very exposed to the elements and in the Summer I can only
average about 2 hours gardening a day because of the sun on my neck.

I do use a sunhat but this isn't enough. Can someone suggest a
stockist of a sunhat with flaps ?

Thanks.

Michael

I have a Tilley Hat, viewed here by brim size. Pick a light colour with
dark underbrim for sunlight protection...

http://www.tilleyuk.com/hat_thumbnai...extractBy=Cate
goryId&id=1&hat_catId=3

Mines been washed in the washine machine, driven over, bleached (don't ask)
lost for months in woodland, found (washed again), used for scrumping and
works in rain or heat... and it's still the only hat i own for working in
the nursery or out and about. Lifetime warranty, just take it to shop and
swap it for a new one.... not needed to in 15 years.

(No, i don't work for them... )

Seconded. I have a standard Tilley T5 - fantastic piece of kit (the
brim on mine is much flatter than is shown on the Tilley site). Storm
proof and excellent at keeping the sun off. They do a rather odd
looking thing that appears to be just what the OP is looking for - look
up Tilley Airflo. They don't have to bought online - there is a
reasonable scattering of dealers around the country.
--
Robert

Nick Maclaren 18-01-2007 09:03 PM

Robert writes:

| Seconded. I have a standard Tilley T5 - fantastic piece of kit (the
| brim on mine is much flatter than is shown on the Tilley site). ...

They look very similar to the traditional bush hat, which was and is
very practical. I use thatch, but not everyone is so endowed :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Michael 18-01-2007 09:21 PM

Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments .I have bookmarked the websites
and will give them a look tomorrow.

Michael

Robert[_3_] 18-01-2007 10:14 PM

Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Robert writes:

| Seconded. I have a standard Tilley T5 - fantastic piece of kit (the
| brim on mine is much flatter than is shown on the Tilley site). ...

They look very similar to the traditional bush hat, which was and is
very practical. I use thatch, but not everyone is so endowed :-)

From memory there are a couple of styles with quite wide brims,
including one with a snap up brim, but others, like the T5, are more
restrained. Thatch is fine for protecting the top but I found that the
back of my neck was very vulnerable to sunburn.
--
Robert