Old 21-01-2007, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Does anyone know Where I can get railway sleepers?

Hi,

I'm going to try and make r raised beds & was told that railway
sleepers are a good material to use.

I have just had a look on 't old internet & can find Mone bros in
Leeds selling them for £23.50 each, which bearing in mind the number
I'll need (about 18) puts it way out of my price range.
£423 can buy a lot of veg :-)

My guess is that as they've been used in a lot of garden makeover
shows the price has gone up some what & there cashing in.

Does anyone know of a Leeds supplier of railway sleepers that sell
them at a more affordable price?

Thanks very much.
Old 21-01-2007, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm going to try and make r raised beds & was told that railway
sleepers are a good material to use.

I have just had a look on 't old internet & can find Mone bros in
Leeds selling them for £23.50 each, which bearing in mind the number
I'll need (about 18) puts it way out of my price range.
£423 can buy a lot of veg :-)

My guess is that as they've been used in a lot of garden makeover
shows the price has gone up some what & there cashing in.

Does anyone know of a Leeds supplier of railway sleepers that sell
them at a more affordable price?

Thanks very much.

That price is not far off the mark. You should be able to find them a bitter
cheaper but not much.
Why do you want to use big,chunky ,heavy sleepers which reduce the size of
the plot? Could you use scaffold boards (preferably second hand) which IMHO
look better and are vastly cheaper.

Old 21-01-2007, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tina wrote:
Hi,

I'm going to try and make r raised beds & was told that railway
sleepers are a good material to use.

I have just had a look on 't old internet & can find Mone bros in
Leeds selling them for £23.50 each, which bearing in mind the number
I'll need (about 18) puts it way out of my price range.
£423 can buy a lot of veg :-)

My guess is that as they've been used in a lot of garden makeover
shows the price has gone up some what & there cashing in.

Does anyone know of a Leeds supplier of railway sleepers that sell
them at a more affordable price?

Thanks very much.

Hi Tina, the sleepers sound expensive to me. It's quite possible to
create raised beds without any edging supports at all - in my opinion
they look a lot better (more natural) this way. Edging such as
sleepers/planks/bricks are a perfect hiding place for slugs and snails
according to Patrick Whitefield: 'Raised Vegetable Gardening ... the
advantages of raised beds and how to design and make them' ~ current
(Winter) edition 'Permaculture Magazine'.

Antony

--
Delete 'SP_BLK_' to reply
Old 21-01-2007, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:03:45 +0000, Gill Matthews wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
says...
Hi,

I'm going to try and make r raised beds & was told that railway
sleepers are a good material to use.

snip

Does anyone know of a Leeds supplier of railway sleepers that sell
them at a more affordable price?

use old recycled scaffold planks not railway sleepers. These are inevitably
expensive because they have a huge ammount of wood in them. Sleepers
recycled from the railway are no longer sold because of the large
quantitiy of carcenogenic tar products they contain. Scaffolding companies
and hire firms regularly replace their planks as not being safe enough to
use but they are still plenty strong enogh to hold back a bit of earth.

I echo everyone else's suggestions of using old scaffold boards. Talk to
some friendly builders! Apart from the price, they have extra advantages in
being lighter to move around and easier to saw to size if you need (believe
you me, it is not easy to saw through a railway sleeper!), and also you do
not get the possible problems of creosote leaching out in the sun which you
do get with old sleepers.

We have used old scaffolding boards for a raised veg bed, and it has worked
extremely well (apart from shorty with a bad back here having to make steps
up to get into it!).

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
bed and breakfast near Ludlow:

Old 21-01-2007, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

GNER mainline runs through Leeds. Seriously though check out along disused
railway lines - there are often piles of stuff.

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

http://www.helden.org.uk

Old 26-01-2007, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baal wrote:
GNER mainline runs through Leeds. Seriously though check out along disused
railway lines - there are often piles of stuff.

Please take care using old timber railway sleepers scavenged from the
railway. They often have noxious chemicals such as tar on them, and you
should note that not all trains have holding tanks for the toilets.
Where do you think that goes?

Also the railway increasingly uses concrete sleepers (or even
occasionally metal) so there will be fewer timber ones to recycle. I
note (from a Balfour Beatty Rail magazine) that old granite ballast is
often classified as restricted (as in polluted) waste, ergo, old timber
sleepers will be also.

I use "gravel boards" in my garden.
Old 28-01-2007, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
Thanks for looking Janet.

I need 18 so using the links you gave me the cheapest one on your list
will charge me over £600 which for me is way out of my price range.

You can buy a lot of veg for £600.
Thanks to all those ponsy garden makeover programs the price looks to
have gone up somewhat over the last 5 years.

http://www.gardenclever.com/index.as...AYCAT&catid=15
http://www.railwaysleeper.com/
http://www.salvo.co.uk/timber/forsale.html
http://www.kayser-uk.com/default.asp?contentID=3
http://www.avsfencing.co.uk/products.asp?ID=7&USERID=
http://www.sleeper-supplies.co.uk/te...b6d8a33dbaa325
c468cea14fbaa

do pom garden centres stock garden sleepers? Not railway, rather general
purpose garden sleepers. Usually 150mm x 100 or 200mm x 100 by 2.1 m or 1.4
m long. Wood used here is often cum, macrocapa or pine. They usually go for
$15 (5 pounds)a sleeper from a wholesale or $25 (8-9 pounds) in a garden
centre. Way cheaper than railway sleepers and untreated.

rob

Old 28-01-2007, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A quick google brought up
http://www.gardenclever.com/index.as...AYCAT&catid=15
http://www.railwaysleeper.com/
http://www.salvo.co.uk/timber/forsale.html
http://www.kayser-uk.com/default.asp?contentID=3
http://www.avsfencing.co.uk/products.asp?ID=7&USERID=
http://www.sleeper-supplies.co.uk/te...b6d8a33dbaa325
c468cea14fbaa
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 29-01-2007, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:58:40 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:
George, Your right I have found a couple of sites selling garden
sleepers, snag is they are £20 each, plus delivery.

33% cheaper than your railway sleepers mind

Your country must not have been influenced by all the garden make over
tv shows like the UK.

yes, though if you get them off the person who mills the sleepers they work
out around 60% of the garden centre price.

frob

Old 29-01-2007, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
George, Your right I have found a couple of sites selling garden
sleepers, snag is they are £20 each, plus delivery.

Your country must not have been influenced by all the garden make over
tv shows like the UK.

But thanks for the reply.

Welcome to Rip Off Britain.

.. .