Old 23-01-2007, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 11:01, in article ,
"The Reid" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:12:10 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

If it's illegal, as is reported, why are the police merely handing
out forms to be filled in and returned, telling them where the
'salvaged'
goods have gone? The whole thing is utterly bizarre - why not just
close
off the beach until the shipping company's salvage people move in?

one container had the personal effects of a Swedish couple moving to
SA, nice.

Oh, that was *awful*. A report said people were seen moving off with
family
portraits and obviously personal household effects and there were
photographs lying around on the beach, showing that young couple.
I wonder if the enquiry will show that ship to have been overloaded for
the
conditions. I know there's a large chunk of metal hanging underneath but
it
looked very top heavy to the untrained eye.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Container ships always appear to be overloaded so I guess that this ship
was OK. I have listened to a few of the Maritime lawyers on the box and the
taking of stuff from a beach, which originates from a ship, is clear-cut. I
won't bore you with my interpretation as I am sure it will be well covered
this evening.

Old 23-01-2007, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Oh, that was *awful*. A report said people were seen moving off with family
portraits and obviously personal household effects and there were
photographs lying around on the beach, showing that young couple.
I wonder if the enquiry will show that ship to have been overloaded for the
conditions. I know there's a large chunk of metal hanging underneath but it
looked very top heavy to the untrained eye.

What about the oil, the pollution, the sea birds? Can you see anything?
Will it be ok?

Old 23-01-2007, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:13:31 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

but it
looked very top heavy to the untrained eye.

they tend to
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old 23-01-2007, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23 Jan 2007 03:52:29 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

What about the oil, the pollution, the sea birds? Can you see anything?

I dont think its going to be a major environmental issue. More one of
scumbags taking peoples personal efects from a shipwreck.
Old 23-01-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

but it
looked very top heavy to the untrained eye.

they tend to

As far as I can see, there is little to no freeboard on these ships?

Old 23-01-2007, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:00:14 +0000, Sacha

So they are empty. Just as I thought.
--

and where do you think the full or heavy ones would be?

What has most of the cargo been so far? Heavy or light goods?

Think 'Freeboard'. The ship does have 'depth' as in cargo holds BELOW the
water line :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 23-01-2007, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 Martin wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ho, ho, ho! ;-)

and a bottle of rum, too?

It was "Whisky Galore", not "Rum Galore"!

and Yo ho ho, not no no no no yes.

I don't think anyone has recognised the reference! Wasn't anything to do
with the Vicar of Dibley.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 23-01-2007, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes, it's a wee bit chilly out on the shore here in Dorset too.

Waiting to be first on the tide that is...

Keith

following a centuries-old tradition ;-)

Old 23-01-2007, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/1/07 13:24, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:00:14 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/1/07 10:55, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:19:39 -0000, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

LOL Sacha was last seen rolling barrels into the back of a truck.

I did rather envy them those which, as our local paper put it, will
undoubtedly end up planted up in somebody's garden, somewhere! Apparently
they're worth about £100 each!

So they are empty. Just as I thought.

I've just read the DT report which says some of them were empty, some had
wine in them. People have taken thousands and thousands of pounds worth of
BMW motor bikes and BMW car spares; there is a wrecked car lying upside
down at the edge of the sea and apparently near fights broke out between
groups who thought they had first dibs on some of the motor bikes. I
believe there's even some kind of 4x4 vehicle there. People were on their
mobile phones, ringing friends in the motor trade to find out what e.g. BMW
engines were worth.
The Swedish couple who were reported as having lost a container load of
goods, say that while they are insured, much of their stuff is irreplaceable
as it was family china, glass, pictures etc. and there are photographs of
men breaking into the container to get at the contents. There is zero
excuse for that because the container was whole and could have been rescued
and returned to its owners.
One man is quoted as saying that there's a 'good wreck' roughly once every
25 years but that this is 'the best' ever. ;-((

Old 23-01-2007, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
The Swedish couple who were reported as having lost a container load of
goods, say that while they are insured, much of their stuff is irreplaceable
as it was family china, glass, pictures etc. and there are photographs of
men breaking into the container to get at the contents. There is zero
excuse for that because the container was whole and could have been rescued
and returned to its owners.
One man is quoted as saying that there's a 'good wreck' roughly once every
25 years but that this is 'the best' ever. ;-((

With this behavior plus the nonsense re. Big Brother we as a nation are
not looking very good.

Old 23-01-2007, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Kate Morgan writes:

| With this behavior plus the nonsense re. Big Brother we as a nation are
| not looking very good.

A VERY long time ago I decided that, if I was to adopt an artificial
monicker for the net, it would be Emmanuel Goldstein.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-01-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs) (OT)

Dear all,

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of cultures - yes 'cultures', between
many of those who live by the sea and many, or most, who don't.

Wrecking is a time-old tradition whereby coastal dwellers have always
supplemented their often meagre earnings by salvaging items of value from
the shoreline at the time of a wreck.

Here in Dorset, often the whole community would venture out, often in
appalling weather to grab whatever was there for the taking.

Keith

PS It is said that ships were sometime lured onto rocks with judiciously
placed lights so that wrecking could take place.

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 13:24, in article ,

One man is quoted as saying that there's a 'good wreck' roughly once
every
25 years but that this is 'the best' ever. ;-((

--
Sacha

Funny how we seem to have different rules for different people. Wrecking
and harvesting of wrecks has been going on for years, just as some people
keep on harping on about 'We used to do this in the past' ' When I was in
Jersey .....' ............ don't we?

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk