Old 23-01-2007, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs) (OT)

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
Dear all,

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of cultures - yes 'cultures',
between many of those who live by the sea and many, or most, who don't.

Wrecking is a time-old tradition whereby coastal dwellers have always
supplemented their often meagre earnings by salvaging items of value from
the shoreline at the time of a wreck.

Here in Dorset, often the whole community would venture out, often in
appalling weather to grab whatever was there for the taking.

Keith

PS It is said that ships were sometime lured onto rocks with judiciously
placed lights so that wrecking could take place.

Thank you Keith.

These landlubbers should stick to the soil ;-)

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 13:24, in article ,

One man is quoted as saying that there's a 'good wreck' roughly once
every
25 years but that this is 'the best' ever. ;-((

--
Sacha

Funny how we seem to have different rules for different people. Wrecking
and harvesting of wrecks has been going on for years, just as some people
keep on harping on about 'We used to do this in the past' ' When I was in
Jersey .....' ............ don't we?

Mike

--
.................................................. ........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 23-01-2007, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

For those of you who have no idea what this is about:
Jenny

Old 23-01-2007, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I don't think container ships should have anything on the deck, I'm sure
it adds to the instability.

Alan

Well you think wrong. What do you think the roll of 'Naval Architect' is?
and Lloyds and DNV etc etc etc?

Please engage brain before posting stupid statements.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 23-01-2007, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 11:21, in article , "David
Rance" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 Martin wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ho, ho, ho! ;-)

and a bottle of rum, too?

It was "Whisky Galore", not "Rum Galore"!

David

Yes but not on the dead man's chest. ;-) Or any other part of his
anatomy,
for that matter.

Nelsons body, was, apparently pickled in a container of rum to preserve his
body so he could be bought home for burial, the sailors on board did not
know this and they taped the cask, forever after, rum was known as Nelsons
Blood!

Alan

Old 23-01-2007, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

When I joined the Andrew, I was given the option of a tot of rum each day
or threepence extra on the pay, I thought that the tot of run was probably
worth more that threepence, so I opted for that!

There is another tale about the rum bosun, but I'll leave that for now!

Alan

Looks as if you became the "Rum Rat"

Mike
I wonder if that brings Andy Muppet alive ;-)

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 23-01-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
: Dear all,
:
: This is a fundamental misunderstanding of cultures - yes 'cultures',
: between many of those who live by the sea and many, or most, who
: don't.
:
: Wrecking is a time-old tradition whereby coastal dwellers have always
: supplemented their often meagre earnings by salvaging items of value
: from the shoreline at the time of a wreck.
:
: Here in Dorset, often the whole community would venture out, often in
: appalling weather to grab whatever was there for the taking.
:
: Keith
:
: PS It is said that ships were sometime lured onto rocks with
: judiciously placed lights so that wrecking could take place.
:

Good luck to them I say. If someone has the cheek to put a ship like that to
sea, endangering our coast, then they deserve no compassion and their cargo
is 'fair game'. The only quite big problem I have with this ship's cargo is
that the redistribution is causing more damage to the beach than the
original containers were...

Old 23-01-2007, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan wrote:

snip
The Swedish couple who were reported as having lost a container load of
goods, say that while they are insured, much of their stuff is irreplaceable
as it was family china, glass, pictures etc. and there are photographs of
men breaking into the container to get at the contents. There is zero
excuse for that because the container was whole and could have been rescued
and returned to its owners.
One man is quoted as saying that there's a 'good wreck' roughly once every
25 years but that this is 'the best' ever. ;-((

With this behavior plus the nonsense re. Big Brother we as a nation are
not looking very good.

Shades of "Jamaica Inne" Where are you Daphne du Maurier when we need
you?
Old 23-01-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Martin wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:19:39 -0000, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

LOL Sacha was last seen rolling barrels into the back of a truck.

Laugh if you like Martin, but I have it on good authority that a new
parts-dealership for motor bikes has just opened in the car park of a
certain nursery somewhere on the lower slopes of Dartmoor!

Old 23-01-2007, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Alan Holmes wrote:

Nelsons body, was, apparently pickled in a container of rum to preserve his
body so he could be bought home for burial, the sailors on board did not
know this and they taped the cask, forever after, rum was known as Nelsons
Blood!

Ah, well it was also supposedly the basis for the saying "tapping the
Admiral" (having a drink), but unfortunately it's a myth ... allegedly.

Old 23-01-2007, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:26:17 -0000, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:

Dear all,

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of cultures - yes 'cultures', between
many of those who live by the sea and many, or most, who don't.

Wrecking is a time-old tradition whereby coastal dwellers have always
supplemented their often meagre earnings by salvaging items of value from
the shoreline at the time of a wreck.

Here in Dorset, often the whole community would venture out, often in
appalling weather to grab whatever was there for the taking.

Keith

PS It is said that ships were sometime lured onto rocks with judiciously
placed lights so that wrecking could take place.

In the mid 16th century, the impoverished tin miners of west Cornwall
had a fearsome reputation as wreckers. It is recorded by a local
historian of the time that they could strip a wreck between tides (say
12 hrs), leaving little trace. Many hundreds would descend on the
wreck, equipped with axes, saws etc. Even the ship's timbers would go.
Hapless survivors were lucky to keep their clothes, let alone their
possessions.

Wrecks were regarded as fair game and sent by God. A prayer apparently
offered up by a vicar on the Isles of Scilly when times were
particularly hard, went something like this: "O Lord we pray, not that
wrecks should happen, but if they do, let them happen on Scilly"

A sailors' prayer from the time, when in the waters off south Cornwall
(there are several versions):

"From rocks and shoals and shifting sands
And Breage and Germoe mens' hands
Good Lord, deliver us."

Breage and Germoe are two local mining villages; I live more or less
between them.

--
Chris

Old 23-01-2007, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 23/1/07 08:56, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ha - just what I need, free Beemer parts and none of them fit mine :-(

Oh well, better go back and help Sacha with the shipping order to
Jersey ;-)

I can just see my daughter in law's face when she receives a consignment
of
sal****er Pampers! ;-))
What we're having a problem understanding is why people are being allowed
do this! If it's illegal, as is reported, why are the police merely
handing
out forms to be filled in and returned, telling them where the 'salvaged'
goods have gone? The whole thing is utterly bizarre - why not just close
off the beach until the shipping company's salvage people move in?

It's been shut off now. Excellent video evidence of the potential thieves
(if they don't fill out the forms).
From Lyme Bay to eBay. Yes some stuff is already on the site:-(
I never realised that Devon housed such vermin.

It's apparently not illegal provided that you do not attempt to hide it
and you inform the official Receiver of Wrecks, so the goods may be
returned to the owner if he/she wants them. Hence the handing out of
forms to enable people to do this.

--
Kay
Old 23-01-2007, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Alan Holmes writes

Nelsons body, was, apparently pickled in a container of rum to preserve his
body so he could be bought home for burial, the sailors on board did not
know this and they taped the cask, forever after, rum was known as Nelsons
Blood!

Zoological specimens of all sorts used to be pickled in rum. My husband
told me that when he was first at the Museum some of the specimen jars
smelt exceedingly interesting ;-)
--
Kay
Old 23-01-2007, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
[...]
It really makes you wonder what the police are for.

Well, OK then: what do you want them to do? I haven't heard that
anybody's committed a crime.

--
Mike.