Old 24-01-2007, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default shrub / tree identification

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 23:41, in article lid, "Stewart

Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

snip

I don't know Pseudocamellia stewartia. I'm interpreting the photo as
showing a capsule with 5 locules which have separated, so the capsule as
a whole is quite blunt. I would also interpret the capsule as being
chartaceous (parchment-like) rather than woody. A photograph of the
innards of the capsule might assist identification.

I can't find a pic of the seed pod of the Stewartia. The plant is unusual
but not rare. The OP didn't give any description of a flower, so I'm
assuming he hasn't seen one yet but obviously that would help a lot.
Perhaps a neighbour would know?

In the pic of the seed pods they look as if they've been hanging around

for
a long time and so are rather dried out. It would be interesting to know
what they look like when fresh.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Do they flower like that up the stems? I have never seen one in seed or
flower. The pods in the picture reminded me a little of Paulownia but not
quite right and they would be more in bunches, still it might be a relative!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Registered User

Hi, i must admit i thought it was a hazel at first, not that i know what i'm talking about.
I've also seen some pics of a hibiscus that have very similar leaves, assuming i showed you the right leaf pic lol. there are no other bushy shrubs around it, as you can see from the main pic, so i think i have the right one.

i've been looking at lots of leaves on the net and it does seem more like a shrub than a tree, there are too many variations to be certain though.
thanks
Old 24-01-2007, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/1/07 21:19, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 23:41, in article
lid, "Stewart
Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

[...]

Allowing for scale, they're much too big for Paulownia, I *think*.

Old 25-01-2007, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lowlife" wrote in message

hi i really need to find out what this shrub or tree is, as it has mould
on it that probably wants treating. i'll describe it and link 3 photo's
from photobucket (hope that's allowed).

firstly i live in surrey. the soil is clay but well mixed now. the
shrub is about 5 ft high, round in form with grey / brown smooth bark.
the buds are very small and staggered as opposed to pairs, and there
are no leaves on it at this time. on the end of each branch there is a
group of brown open seed pods. the fungi is clustered on the lower
branches and looks like white/pale cyan granules.

i've taken a pic of the tree, the pods and the fungus or whatever it
is

http://tinyurl.com/29ej9r

http://tinyurl.com/22c58j

http://tinyurl.com/2ghxb2

i hope they work. failing that, does anyone know of an online plant
finder?
thanks

--
lowlife

Hi,

I'd go with Hibiscus syriacus, I've just been out and had a look at my
Hibiscus syriacus 'Oiseau bleu', the structure and seed pods looks very
similar to your photos, so I thought I'd take a picture of it:

http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/images/...s_syriacus.jpg
(I held up a white card behind the seed head, else it wouldn't stand out
against the browns of the beech hedge behind it).

Here's a picture of it in full flower, along with leaf detail:
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/images/...hibiscus12.jpg

As others have said the 'fungus' is lichen and won't do any harm.

I live in Surrey, but on sandy soil.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 25-01-2007, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/1/07 12:22, in article , "Nick Gray"
wrote:
snip

I'd go with Hibiscus syriacus, I've just been out and had a look at my
Hibiscus syriacus 'Oiseau bleu', the structure and seed pods looks very
similar to your photos, so I thought I'd take a picture of it:

http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/images/...s_syriacus.jpg
(I held up a white card behind the seed head, else it wouldn't stand out
against the browns of the beech hedge behind it).

Here's a picture of it in full flower, along with leaf detail:
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/images/...hibiscus12.jpg

Perhaps you didn't see the link to the picture of the leaves of the plant in
question? They're not remotely like a Hibiscus, unfortunately and seem to
resemble a hazel more closely!

Old 25-01-2007, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip

http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/images/...s_syriacus.jpg
(I held up a white card behind the seed head, else it wouldn't stand out
against the browns of the beech hedge behind it).

Here's a picture of it in full flower, along with leaf detail:
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/images/...hibiscus12.jpg

Perhaps you didn't see the link to the picture of the leaves of the plant

in
question? They're not remotely like a Hibiscus, unfortunately and seem to
resemble a hazel more closely!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Oh bugger,

No I didn't see that link, the header didn't download for some reason. I
agree with you that the photo looks like a hazel leaf, but can't see a
nearby hazel in the foreground or background, but also there is no flower
buds on that photo either, so I wonder whether the OP got the photos mixed
up.

Very odd and I'm now intrigued to find out what it is.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 25-01-2007, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Gray" wrote in message
snip

[...]

Yes-I don't think we have yet established that those leaves belong to that
tree/shrub--or have we? :-)

Old 25-01-2007, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/1/07 13:32, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Nick Gray" wrote in message
snip

[...]

Not necessarily. The OP didn't seem quite sure of what he'd taken, when.
It's confusing when you don't know much about trees and shrubs and you see
them without flowers on, so I think that he and we, will have to possess our
souls in patience!

Old 25-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Registered User

hi me again, well lets work backwards. if we think the leaves belong to a hazel or large shrub such as hibiscus, there is nothing else in the garden like that. it's predominantly a dahlia bed, with a few other shrubs with berries and some lilies. as you can see from the distant photo, there's not much else there. so on that basis i think i have the right leaves. the branches seem to be quite sparse, with other twig branches at quite large intervals along the main branches. at the end, or near the end of each branch there is a group of these flower head / pod things.
there are no flowers along the main branches, only on or near the end of the branches or offshoots. the shrub / tree is a round shape about 5ft high and about the same across.

hope that helps
Old 26-01-2007, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lowlife" wrote in message

[...]

Everything, with the exception of that photo of the leaf, still leads me to
believe that it is Hibiscus syriacus. My hibiscus looks exactly the same as
yours at the moment, about 5 foot with open branches, seed pods on the end
of the branches, no leaves, browny-grey bark etc. It's just that photo of
the leaf that is throwing a spanner in the works.

But your original question was: "i really need to find out what this shrub
or tree is, as it has mould
on it that probably wants treating." and we've established that it's lichen,
which won't do any harm and doesn't need treating, so I think it might be a
case of sitting and waiting for the plant to flower and then we can get a
better idea of what it might be, if not Hibiscus. BTW it looks like it's
been looked after, and pruned well into a nice shape, who's done this? maybe
they remember what it looked like in summer or know what it is?

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 28-01-2007, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Yes, I too have it on some of my shrubs. You should consider yourself very
lucky that you have lichens in your garden, they only grow in good quality
air and have only made a slow comeback since the Clean Air Act forced people
to use other forms of heating besides coal/wood in London. Cherish it, it's
a fascinating story in itself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichens

We have loads on our trees in the garden and around the area. However a
lot of people in Amersham burn wood fires, it seems to be a fashionable
thing nowadays, though they tend to bur logs for 'supplementary' heat as
opposed to us, who burn logs for main lounge heating.

--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association