Old 23-01-2007, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wandering Jew problem

Could you please take a look at this photo
http://www.softel.com.pl/~kattka/gal...rginiana3.html
and tell me, whether this Tradescantia is indeed 'Osprey'? I've checked the
RHS encyclopedia and the description does not mention any shadowing on the
petals and the photo shows snowy white flower with a bunch of slightly
violet stamens in the middle. Still, I've also googled and pictures on the
net differe very largely, most showing at least traces of shadowing.

Regards, Barbara.

Old 24-01-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Basia Kulesz wrote:
Could you please take a look at this photo
http://www.softel.com.pl/~kattka/gal...rginiana3.html
and tell me, whether this Tradescantia is indeed 'Osprey'? I've checked the
RHS encyclopedia and the description does not mention any shadowing on the
petals and the photo shows snowy white flower with a bunch of slightly
violet stamens in the middle. Still, I've also googled and pictures on the
net differe very largely, most showing at least traces of shadowing.

Hi Barbara. I'm not expert on tradescantia - but the T. virginia is
usually blue. The T. osprey is white just like your picture and the
many others I've found. However, the T. virginia (which is not) on your
picture has lacy longer petals than the T. osprey I have seen. HTH

Old 24-01-2007, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/1/07 22:01, in article , "Basia
Kulesz" wrote:

Could you please take a look at this photo
http://www.softel.com.pl/~kattka/gal...rginiana3.html
and tell me, whether this Tradescantia is indeed 'Osprey'? I've checked the
RHS encyclopedia and the description does not mention any shadowing on the
petals and the photo shows snowy white flower with a bunch of slightly
violet stamens in the middle. Still, I've also googled and pictures on the
net differe very largely, most showing at least traces of shadowing.

You're right that the photos show great variation but it's a beautiful plant
whatever it is! I suggest you contact the two National Collection holders
who a

Holder
Tradescantia (Andersoniana Group)
Herbaceous
Leicestershire
Kaye, Ms H

Tradescantia (Andersoniana Group)
Herbaceous
Gloucestershire
Mcpherson, Ms B

http://www.nccpg.com/Default.Aspx?Page51.Aspx?page=51

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-01-2007, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uzytkownik "Sacha" napisal w wiadomosci
. uk...
On 23/1/07 22:01, in article , "Basia
Kulesz" wrote:

Could you please take a look at this photo [snip]

You're right that the photos show great variation but it's a beautiful

plant
whatever it is! I suggest you contact the two National Collection

holders
who a

Holder
Tradescantia (Andersoniana Group)
Herbaceous
Leicestershire
Kaye, Ms H

Tradescantia (Andersoniana Group)
Herbaceous
Gloucestershire
Mcpherson, Ms B

http://www.nccpg.com/Default.Aspx?Page51.Aspx?page=51

I will certainly try. Thank you, Sacha!

Regards, Barbara.

Old 24-01-2007, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kulesz" wrote:

Could you please take a look at this photo [snip]

You're right that the photos show great variation but it's a beautiful

plant
whatever it is! I suggest you contact the two National Collection

holders
who a

Holder
Tradescantia (Andersoniana Group)
Herbaceous
Leicestershire
Kaye, Ms H

Tradescantia (Andersoniana Group)
Herbaceous
Gloucestershire
Mcpherson, Ms B

http://www.nccpg.com/Default.Aspx?Page51.Aspx?page=51

I will certainly try. Thank you, Sacha!

Please let us know, because I think it's a beauty and would like to have it.
We have a tiny small flowered Trad we use here in hanging baskets, the one
called 'Bridal Veil' and while it's completely different, it's absolutely
enchanting. The leaves are purple, here and there, on the reverse and a
few of those in a basket are stunners. It's a wonderful species, IMO.

Old 27-01-2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uzytkownik "Sacha" napisal w wiadomosci
. uk...

Please let us know, because I think it's a beauty and would like to have

it.
We have a tiny small flowered Trad we use here in hanging baskets, the one
called 'Bridal Veil' and while it's completely different, it's absolutely
enchanting. The leaves are purple, here and there, on the reverse and a
few of those in a basket are stunners. It's a wonderful species, IMO.

Well, here's a follow-up from Ms. Johnson, I'll cite it:

"Hard to tell on internet especially as it is a few months since the flowers
were around. I have to refresh my memory each year! However, I feel Osprey
has distinctly fluffy blue centre but not so noticeable lines. Have you
checked Iris Pritchard. Could be her."

So, I'll probably be googling around for Iris Pritchard. In the meantime
I've had a look at RHS Plant Finder, there are some 80 named cultivars of
Tradescantia x andersoniana alone. And I know from my own experience that it
sows itself and if one has several differently coloured clumps, then there's
no telling what the offspring might be. However, the consolation is - all
are beautiful

Regards, Barbara.

Wandering Jew Question Bob-tx Texas 0 08-07-2010 01:00 PM
My hero,. Andrew Meyer, the jew. [email protected] Ponds 0 21-09-2007 12:51 PM
wondering jew bassett Australia 6 09-09-2007 12:55 AM
A good day indeed for Hezbollah against the Jew agressors Just Another Bush And Blair Hater United Kingdom 1 09-08-2006 11:10 PM
Wandering Jew Burp Gardening 8 21-10-2003 02:22 PM