Old 27-01-2007, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Throw away attitude

In message , Anne Jackson
writes
snip

We used to get stolen cars up there, two or three a month. Stolen,
driven up the hill, then set fire to... The Council made access to the
hill impossible for vehicles, so that came to a halt, thank goodness!

Don't hold your breath, Anne. Barnet Council made it impossible for
people to bring stolen cars into Brunswick Park. That is when the
lovely little people started dumping motor cycles.
--
June Hughes
Old 27-01-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:05:13 -0000, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

Incidentally I did replace and old fridge with a new one on the basis that
the energy saving cost (to me) negated the new cost before the estimated
demise of the new fridge.

You could have probably saved that by removing the light bulb from inside
the
fridge.

Except that the light bulb is only on for a very short time when the door is
opened.

Alan

Old 27-01-2007, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:18:41 -0000, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On 25 Jan 2007 03:34:49 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

If our attitude is to save money, many of us are saving money for the
long run, not for a quick fix. I have never expected anything to be
cheap. I have had this argument with my husband many times when he
finds something cheap and thinks it's a bargain. I hate bargains. I
know that it will break and that we will have no other choice but to
throw away.

Lidl and Aldi electrical goods have a three year guarantee and seem to
be
the
same quality as more expensive stuff.
In a Consumer test the two best ABMs were EUR220 and EUR 30.
Price doesn't necessarily mean quality.

Those of us who have lived in NL too long are constantly looking for
bargains
and finding them. We rarely, if ever pay, the RRP. Almost everything we
own was
a bargain including our 20 year old Sony TV , which was cheap because it
had a
small blemish on the screen, but came with a full guarantee. We took it
back to
the Sony importer who exchanged it for one without any defects. Most of
our
white goods are "last years models". Who cares about the current
fashion,
when
they last 20 years? BCC rules!
--

Martin

If you believe saving energy is important then I can assure you that brand
new white goods (Fridges/freezers/washers etc) are considerably more
efficient than 10 year old models.

I don't believe in throwing away things to save small amounts of energy.
The
things thrown away took a lot of energy to make. I don't leave the TV,
VCR, etc.
on standby 24 hours a day.

The energy used for the standby is miniscule compared with the amount of
energy thrown away on motorways which have two Kilowatts of light every
hundred yards, over thousands of miles!

And swithing off standby means that the machine has to be reset when you
want to use it again, clocks and programmes.

Alan

Old 27-01-2007, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:13:15 +0100, Tim C. wrote:

Following up to "La Puce" :

Price doesn't necessarily mean quality.

To me it does, especially if this indicates an energy efficiency
rating.

If only the extra costs in manufacture of the better products were passed
on, I would agree. But that's not how it is in the real world. Most charge
what the market will stand. Whether the more expensive product with a
"name" is better than the cheaper no-name one is a matter of checking the
label, or a dubious matter of trust. Personally I know which I'd choose.

Many of the different names come out of the same factories.

There was a report that the manufacturers energy info cannot always be
trusted.

A bit like the fuel consumption of cars!

Alan

--

Martin

Old 28-01-2007, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 28, 12:05 am, Martin wrote:
..Nothing to reset on our TV which I always switch off after use.
--

Martin-

I hate me too answers, but in this case, the answer is "me too" , I
leave nothing on standby.

Judith

Old 28-01-2007, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:27:11 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Incidentally I did replace and old fridge with a new one on the basis
that
the energy saving cost (to me) negated the new cost before the estimated
demise of the new fridge.

You could have probably saved that by removing the light bulb from
inside
the
fridge.

Except that the light bulb is only on for a very short time when the door
is
opened.

Have you been in there to check?

Yes. the big problem is, how to get out, cos in the dark I have trouble
finding the handle!

Alan

--

Martin

Old 28-01-2007, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:31:37 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:18:41 -0000, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
m...
[...]

So switch the motorway lights off and have more accidents?

There are a few motorways which do not have lights, do you know that there
are more accidents on those?

And, you may not have noticed, but most cars and other vehicles have things
called lights, which are usually switched on when it's dark, although there
are a number of idiots who seem to think they are needed when the sun is
shining brightly!

And are there many accidents on roads which do not have lighting on them,
which is often the case in the country.

The amount of energy wasted by devices left on standby is not trivial.
How many have you got on standby in your house?

Enlighten me as to how much is not 'trivial'?

I have about three on standy, each using a few milliamps, compared with the
killowatts used on motorways.

And swithing off standby means that the machine has to be reset when you
want to use it again, clocks and programmes.

Nothing to reset on our TV which I always switch off after use.

Have you swicked off your video recorder when you have it set to record
things which are being broadcast either tomorrow or the day after?

Some video recorders need the clocks reset after a mains failiar, like
switching it off!

Alan

Old 28-01-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:32:36 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:13:15 +0100, Tim C.
wrote:

Following up to "La Puce" :

Price doesn't necessarily mean quality.

To me it does, especially if this indicates an energy efficiency
rating.

If only the extra costs in manufacture of the better products were
passed
on, I would agree. But that's not how it is in the real world. Most
charge
what the market will stand. Whether the more expensive product with a
"name" is better than the cheaper no-name one is a matter of checking
the
label, or a dubious matter of trust. Personally I know which I'd choose.

Many of the different names come out of the same factories.

There was a report that the manufacturers energy info cannot always be
trusted.

A bit like the fuel consumption of cars!

You can check both yourself, but how many check white goods energy
consumption?

I have check the fuel consumption on cars I have had, and the advertised
fuel consumption is nowhere near accurate.

I keep a log of fuel used and distance travelled.

Alan

Old 29-01-2007, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Gill Matthews Try the :

I don't know how often you have been told that but I regularly request not
to have a bag and have almost never been refused.

If you'd followed the thread you'd find that I'd been told it by only one
person. I was being sarcastic :-) My experience has been like yours, in
fact I can't recall ever being refused.
--
Tim C.

Old 29-01-2007, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Sacha :

Nobody forces you to take a bag! If you don't, they save money, after all.
Take the till receipt and smile nicely. That's it.

Not according to 'Mike' who seems to think that forcing you to take a bag
is the norm.
--
Tim C.
Old 29-01-2007, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Anne Jackson :

That's what I said, but it seems this isn't an acceptable request by UK
shopkeepers. I've been told, so now I know.

Nonsense!

I know it's nonsense.
--
Tim C.
Old 29-01-2007, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim C." wrote in message
Following up to Sacha :

Nobody forces you to take a bag! If you don't, they save money, after
all.
Take the till receipt and smile nicely. That's it.

Not according to 'Mike' who seems to think that forcing you to take a bag
is the norm.
--
Tim C.

Please repost where I have said it's 'the norm'

Thank you

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 29-01-2007, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "'Mike'" :

"Tim C." wrote in message
.. .
Following up to Sacha :

Nobody forces you to take a bag! If you don't, they save money, after
all.
Take the till receipt and smile nicely. That's it.

Not according to 'Mike' who seems to think that forcing you to take a bag
is the norm.
--
Tim C.

Please repost where I have said it's 'the norm'

Your post of 25.01.2007 at 11:45 or thereabouts:

Don't you think I have tried? Only to be told by the shop assistant, "We
have to do that and we have to put the receipt inside the bag to prove you
have purchased it and you have not shop lifted it"

I've done it often in the UK, no problem whatsoever.

So have I, but it is not the norm. The norm is as I have stated.

--
Tim C.
Old 29-01-2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim C." wrote in message
Following up to "'Mike'" :

"Tim C." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thank you. I knew I had posted it somewhere and couldn't find it.

I have found this to be the case in many 'small corner shops' which try to
support and also many large combines such as Woolworths where shoplifting
must be a big problem.

Yes I have had my request not to put things in a bag because of the waste,
but I feel that your paranoia over such a small thing as a paper bag shows
you have a bit of a problem with life :-(((

As an afterthought, do you really believe that such a small item as a paper
bag and use thereof will 'save the world'???????

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk