Old 26-01-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Other uses for olive oil

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:39:26 +0000, The Reid
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:22:35 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

When I was down in London last July I happened upon two Maoris in
Camden Market,

like you do! :-)

sorry, wrong attribution.
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old 26-01-2007, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , The Reid
writes
wrote:

When I was down in London last July I happened upon two Maoris in
Camden Market,

like you do! :-)

Weren't me mate Anne J.
--
June Hughes
Old 26-01-2007, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:58:37 +0000
Sacha wrote:

On 26/1/07 10:53, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

snip of sea salt, oil and rosemary - nothing
new under the sun, obviously!

Sacha, olive oil soap is very nice for the skin, also. Here is one we've used
for many years:

http://www.coop-du-nyonsais.fr/boutique/autres.php

Many thanks for that. You can't imagine how timely it is just now. A
friend of ours, who lives in France, came to stay bringing me three bars of
the olive oil soap that she knows I love. I'm halfway through the last one!

The proverbial soap crisis; we know it well. Glad to help!

Was looking around the site for some mention of shipping conditions, I guess
I'll have to call. Bag-in-box for oil is a very clever thing, but heavy.

Oil from this coop is some of the best in France, very mild flavoured. Rather
dear, though. I see there's a shower gel there as well.

Lavender soap is also nice and has the added property that it repels nits;
whenever
there's an outbreak at school we also apply lavender oil to the children
(which the
girl thinks nice but the boy objects to.)

-E

Shame they're not at the age when boys think it's nice to wear something
girls find attractive. ;-) I can't say nits are a problem with us
personally but now we're in the grandparent stakes, one never knows!

They'll be there all too soon. Which will bring it's own set of problems,
no doubt more troublesome than nits...

Meanwhile, happy grandparenting!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 26-01-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , The Reid
writes

wrote:

When I was down in London last July I happened upon two Maoris in
Camden Market,

like you do! :-)

sorry, wrong attribution.

No need to apologise. I like a good massage - not one of your namby
pamby girlie ones that beauticians do but a real one, which is as good
as a work-out session without the effort.
--
June Hughes
Old 26-01-2007, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:55:14 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

When I was down in London last July I happened upon two Maoris in
Camden Market,

like you do! :-)

sorry, wrong attribution.

No need to apologise. I like a good massage - not one of your namby
pamby girlie ones that beauticians do but a real one, which is as good
as a work-out session without the effort.

say no more! Wink wink nudge nudge.
Old 26-01-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have lots of stainless steel in my kitchen (oven, extractor hood, hob etc)
and use a drop of olive oil and a soft cloth to clean/polish it. It brings
it up beautifully. The tip was given to me by the man who sold us our
kitchen a few years ago
Mel.

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 26/1/07 02:48, in article ,
"Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from Sacha contains these
words:

Thinking of the Frances Mayes books, as I was a while ago, I remember
her
writing that her husband took a pudding spoon of olive oil every
morning,
presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork. And I think it
was
she who wrote that Italian women used to use it as skin nourishment.
Has
anyone here any experience of either? I rather like the idea of a much
cheaper version of Clarins in my kitchen cupboard!

When I was down in London last July I happened upon two Maoris in
Camden Market, who were doing massages. I waited almost the entire
day, until they could fit me in. They were using olive oil as a
massage oil, and after the hour-long massage my skin positively
glowed for weeks....I still haven't managed to get it out of the
clothes I was wearing that day, though!

Perhaps you could get them to do house calls next time!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-01-2007, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , The Reid
writes
wrote:

When I was down in London last July I happened upon two Maoris in
Camden Market,

like you do! :-)

sorry, wrong attribution.

No need to apologise. I like a good massage - not one of your namby
pamby girlie ones that beauticians do but a real one, which is as good
as a work-out session without the effort.

say no more! Wink wink nudge nudge.

Not at all. I think Anne will agree with me.
--
June Hughes

Old 26-01-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , MELANIE
MCDONALD writes
I have lots of stainless steel in my kitchen (oven, extractor hood, hob etc)
and use a drop of olive oil and a soft cloth to clean/polish it. It brings
it up beautifully. The tip was given to me by the man who sold us our
kitchen a few years ago

Must give that a try. My fridge and cooker are both brushed stainless
steel and are a b****r to clean.
--
June Hughes
Old 26-01-2007, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps next time you will not bother with the clothes, save all that
washing!

Alan

Old 26-01-2007, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 25/1/07 20:28, in article
,
" wrote:

On Jan 25, 6:28 pm, Sacha wrote:
Thinking of the Frances Mayes books, as I was a while ago, I remember
her
writing that her husband took a pudding spoon of olive oil every
morning,
presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork. And I think it
was
she who wrote that Italian women used to use it as skin nourishment.
Has
anyone here any experience of either? I rather like the idea of a much
cheaper version of Clarins in my kitchen cupboard!
--

Sacha, I have asked my husband to comment here as heart disease and
fatty acids are his subject, I know that he is known, throughout the

Ok, Edward here, Judith's husband. From my research in the late 1980'
early 90's, with regard to your comments on olive oil, I believe this
is accurate .

Omega 3 oils work fom the inside out. Olive oil is not that rich in w3
but is superbly balanced in respect of w3/w6 and therefore should
achieve the objective.

Thank you, Edward! I shall start taking some every day, too, or at least
dunk some bread in a good splodge of it. I can't say I understand the
chemistry but those southern Med people must have been doing something
right
and you clearly know all about it. What I don't understand is these new
and
apparently sudden, claims that eggs contain Omega 3. All eggs, or only
from
hens fed a special diet? I read Judith's 'reference' for you and felt a
strong and instantaneous twinge of guilt as I recalled the bacon sandwich
had for breakfast!

What did you do with it once you had recalled it?

Alan

Old 26-01-2007, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MELANIE MCDONALD" wrote:

I have lots of stainless steel in my kitchen (oven, extractor hood, hob etc)
and use a drop of olive oil and a soft cloth to clean/polish it. It brings
it up beautifully.

Made a note of that; I've just re-done the kitchen (the hard way: fire),
and She Who Should be Obeyed (the relationship hasn't reached "Must" yet,
but heading that way rapidly) lobbied successfully for brushed stainless.
I pushed for "garden blotchy dun," but was overruled by the most effective,
"If you want me to move in...."
I'll try that before the next visit, especially around the handles of the
French door freezer drawer in the bottom fridge.

Old 26-01-2007, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:25:33 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

say no more! Wink wink nudge nudge.

Not at all. I think Anne will agree with me.

of course not! Of course not! But, eh, eh?