Old 25-01-2007, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Other uses for olive oil

Thinking of the Frances Mayes books, as I was a while ago, I remember her
writing that her husband took a pudding spoon of olive oil every morning,
presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork. And I think it was
she who wrote that Italian women used to use it as skin nourishment. Has
anyone here any experience of either? I rather like the idea of a much
cheaper version of Clarins in my kitchen cupboard!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-01-2007, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Thinking of the Frances Mayes books, as I was a while ago, I remember
her writing that her husband took a pudding spoon of olive oil every
morning, presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork. And
I think it was she who wrote that Italian women used to use it as
skin nourishment. Has anyone here any experience of either? I
rather like the idea of a much cheaper version of Clarins in my
kitchen cupboard!

When she's back, I have to hide the extra vierge from my youngest so her
face has to content itself with cheap sunflower. I moaned about it to my
mother, who said "Ah, yes. My mother used to use olive oil every day."
Personally, I think she'd need less oil if she stopped using so much of
that damned warpaint, but what do I know?

Drifting only slightly, I remember an old butcher pointing out that he
had "hands like a girl". Though I found a courteous way of avoiding
tactile examination, the muscular extremities he proffered in evidence
certainly looked very smooth, and I didn't doubt his explanation that it
was because he was handling fat all the time.

As to the, ah, aperient qualities, well, it seems rather more pleasant
than liquid paraffin, and must do the same job.

--
Mike.

Old 25-01-2007, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 25, 6:28 pm, Sacha wrote:
Thinking of the Frances Mayes books, as I was a while ago, I remember her
writing that her husband took a pudding spoon of olive oil every morning,
presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork. And I think it was
she who wrote that Italian women used to use it as skin nourishment. Has
anyone here any experience of either? I rather like the idea of a much
cheaper version of Clarins in my kitchen cupboard!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Sacha, I have asked my husband to comment here as heart disease and
fatty acids are his subject, I know that he is known, throughout the
World, as an Expert on Omerga 3 oils. Hence his comments below and he
has warned me, he will charge if I do this again!!!

Ok, Edward here, Judith's husband. From my research in the late 1980'
early 90's, with regard to your comments on olive oil, I believe this
is accurate .

Omega 3 oils work fom the inside out. Olive oil is not that rich in w3
but is superbly balanced in respect of w3/w6 and therefore should
achieve the objective.

Kindest regards

Dr. Edward Lea

Old 25-01-2007, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 25, 8:50 pm, "Les Hemmings"
Omega 3 oils work fom the inside out. Olive oil is not that rich in
w3 but is superbly balanced in respect of w3/w6 and therefore should
achieve the objective.

Kindest regards

Dr. Edward LeaA long way from the sixties when I grew up. The only olive oil in the UK was

in little cork stoppered bottles for pouring down your ears! It took ages
for me to break my conditioning associating it with ear wax /

Les

Les, I too can remember olive oil being put in ears to soften wax!!!

JudithL at home

Old 25-01-2007, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Omega 3 oils work fom the inside out. Olive oil is not that rich in
w3 but is superbly balanced in respect of w3/w6 and therefore should
achieve the objective.

Kindest regards

Dr. Edward LeaA long way from the sixties when I grew up. The only olive oil in the UK was

in little cork stoppered bottles for pouring down your ears! It took ages
for me to break my conditioning associating it with ear wax /

Les

Les, I too can remember olive oil being put in ears to soften wax!!!

JudithL at home

My mother used it on her hair and she stayed dark much longer than I
did, I think she used it on her face too, not all the time just now and
then.

kate
Old 25-01-2007, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

[...] olive oil every morning,
presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork.[...]
[...] as skin nourishment. Has
anyone here any experience of either?

No, but have used it on porous stonework, slate overmantles for instance and
as a wood oil especially in the kitchen on boards and spoons.

Tim w

Old 26-01-2007, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anne Jackson
writes
The message from Sacha contains these
words:

Thinking of the Frances Mayes books, as I was a while ago, I remember her
writing that her husband took a pudding spoon of olive oil every morning,
presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork. And I think it was
she who wrote that Italian women used to use it as skin nourishment. Has
anyone here any experience of either? I rather like the idea of a much
cheaper version of Clarins in my kitchen cupboard!

When I was down in London last July I happened upon two Maoris in
Camden Market, who were doing massages. I waited almost the entire
day, until they could fit me in. They were using olive oil as a
massage oil, and after the hour-long massage my skin positively
glowed for weeks....I still haven't managed to get it out of the
clothes I was wearing that day, though!

You never cease to amaze me, Anne. What with the mb and now
Maori massages in Camden market. You make me feel positively staid.
Seriously though, olive oil is great but as you have found, it is oily
Almond oil does much the same thing and costs about the same. I used to
use it for aromatherapy, although I have only ever been an amateur at
that.
--
June Hughes
Old 26-01-2007, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/1/07 20:28, in article
,
" wrote:

On Jan 25, 6:28 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Edward! I shall start taking some every day, too, or at least
dunk some bread in a good splodge of it. I can't say I understand the
chemistry but those southern Med people must have been doing something right
and you clearly know all about it. What I don't understand is these new and
apparently sudden, claims that eggs contain Omega 3. All eggs, or only from
hens fed a special diet? I read Judith's 'reference' for you and felt a
strong and instantaneous twinge of guilt as I recalled the bacon sandwich I
had for breakfast!

Old 26-01-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/1/07 22:40, in article ,
"Tim W" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

[...] olive oil every morning,
presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork.[...]
[...] as skin nourishment. Has
anyone here any experience of either?

No, but have used it on porous stonework, slate overmantles for instance and
as a wood oil especially in the kitchen on boards and spoons.

Tim w

That's an interesting idea. We have stone overmantles in two rooms and one
has a couple of ring marks on it - from what I've no idea. The decorator
who is working here atm is going to try to remove those marks for me and
after that I'll use your tip.

Old 26-01-2007, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/1/07 23:00, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:28:37 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Thinking of the Frances Mayes books, as I was a while ago, I remember her
writing that her husband took a pudding spoon of olive oil every morning,
presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork. And I think it was
she who wrote that Italian women used to use it as skin nourishment. Has
anyone here any experience of either? I rather like the idea of a much
cheaper version of Clarins in my kitchen cupboard!

http://www.alcasoft.com/soapfact/history.html
"While the Romans are well known for their public baths, generally soap was
not
used for personal cleaning. To clean the body the Greeks and then the Romans
would rub the body with olive oil and sand. A scraper, called a strigil, was
then used to scrape off the sand and olive oil also removing dirt, grease, and
dead cells from the skin leaving it clean. Afterwards the skin was rubbed down
with salves prepared from herbs."

I've got some shower stuff composed of sea salt, oil and rosemary - nothing
new under the sun, obviously!

Old 26-01-2007, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:22:35 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

When I was down in London last July I happened upon two Maoris in
Camden Market,

like you do! :-)
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old 26-01-2007, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:19:09 +0000
Sacha wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sacha, olive oil soap is very nice for the skin, also. Here is one we've used
for many years:

http://www.coop-du-nyonsais.fr/boutique/autres.php

Oil from this coop is some of the best in France, very mild flavoured. Rather
dear, though. I see there's a shower gel there as well.

Lavender soap is also nice and has the added property that it repels nits; whenever
there's an outbreak at school we also apply lavender oil to the children (which the
girl thinks nice but the boy objects to.)

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 26-01-2007, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/1/07 10:53, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

snip of sea salt, oil and rosemary - nothing
new under the sun, obviously!

Sacha, olive oil soap is very nice for the skin, also. Here is one we've used
for many years:

http://www.coop-du-nyonsais.fr/boutique/autres.php

Many thanks for that. You can't imagine how timely it is just now. A
friend of ours, who lives in France, came to stay bringing me three bars of
the olive oil soap that she knows I love. I'm halfway through the last one!

Oil from this coop is some of the best in France, very mild flavoured. Rather
dear, though. I see there's a shower gel there as well.

Lavender soap is also nice and has the added property that it repels nits;
whenever
there's an outbreak at school we also apply lavender oil to the children
(which the
girl thinks nice but the boy objects to.)

-E

Shame they're not at the age when boys think it's nice to wear something
girls find attractive. ;-) I can't say nits are a problem with us
personally but now we're in the grandparent stakes, one never knows!