Old 28-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Registered User

Smile Salix Caprea "Kilmarnock"

Hello All,

I have just joined the news group and this is my first message.

I have a Salix Caprea "Kilmarnock" which I am fond of just near the front door. It is about six years old. It is now about 6 foot high and about 6 foot diameter. I would like to reduce it in height and would like guidance on the best way to do this.

Alan Harrison.
Old 28-01-2007, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Salix Caprea "Kilmarnock"

Alan Harrison wrote:
Hello All,

I have just joined the news group and this is my first message.

I have a Salix Caprea "Kilmarnock" which I am fond of just near the
front door. It is about six years old. It is now about 6 foot high
and about 6 foot diameter. I would like to reduce it in height and
would like guidance on the best way to do this.

Alan Harrison.

Better to dig it up and move it. And, in future, to find out the size
things grow before you position them! Saves a lot of effort later on. If
you reduce its height drastically you will spoil its habit and its
shape. And it will grow again!
Old 29-01-2007, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:01:43 +0000, Alan Harrison
wrote:

Hello All,

I have just joined the news group and this is my first message.

I have a Salix Caprea "Kilmarnock" which I am fond of just near the
front door. It is about six years old. It is now about 6 foot high
and about 6 foot diameter. I would like to reduce it in height and
would like guidance on the best way to do this.

If you need to prune, for instance if the weeping branches are
trailing the ground, cut longest branches right back to where they
join the trunk. If you cut them half way back you will just have more
of a mess. Not an easy tree to deal with!
You could be quite drastic with cutting off branches this way, or just
take off the biggest and see how it goes.

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane
Alan Harrison wrote:
Hello All,

I have just joined the news group and this is my first message.

I have a Salix Caprea "Kilmarnock" which I am fond of just near the
front door. It is about six years old. It is now about 6 foot high
and about 6 foot diameter. I would like to reduce it in height and
would like guidance on the best way to do this.

Alan Harrison.

Better to dig it up and move it. And, in future, to find out the size
things grow before you position them! Saves a lot of effort later on. If
you reduce its height drastically you will spoil its habit and its
shape. And it will grow again!
Jane & Pam,

I may have to move it later but I'd like to try to prune it first. Many thanks for your help.

Alan.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/1/07 22:16, in article , "Alan
Harrison" wrote:

Sacha Wrote:
On 28/1/07 14:01, in article
,
"Alan
Harrison"
wrote:
-

Hello All,

I have just joined the news group and this is my first message.

I have a Salix Caprea "Kilmarnock" which I am fond of just near the
front door. It is about six years old. It is now about 6 foot high
and about 6 foot diameter. I would like to reduce it in height and
would like guidance on the best way to do this.
-
They're grafted so I don't see how you could do that. You could prune
the
weeping stems but not the main trunk. It's probably better to see if
you
can dig it up (with a large root ball) and move it. Or cut it down and
start
again. Is it blocking access to the door or can you live with it
rather
than risk losing it?
--

Hi Sasha,
It was here when we moved in. It is not blocking the access yet but it

If you can live with it, I'd leave it and enjoy it. Or try moving it but it
will need a large hole dug first and then lifting with a huge rootball and
regular watering after re-planting. As you can see, you can't take the top
out of it without ruining it!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-02-2007, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

If you can live with it, I'd leave it and enjoy it. Or try moving it but
it
will need a large hole dug first and then lifting with a huge rootball and
regular watering after re-planting. As you can see, you can't take the
top
out of it without ruining it!
--
Sacha

And if you 'find' a huge rootball, lucky for you :-))

Our experience, and I know that of others as well, is that they are surface
rooting and fall over at the slightest wind as they are so top heavy

Mike