Old 30-01-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fire ash in compost worry

On 30 Jan 2007 09:22:14 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| But I think that applying it via coal ash may, perhps, not be the best
| way !

Most sulphur will burn to a gas and contribute to acid rain. The
amount left in the ash is unlikely to make any difference.

Yes ! Which is why applying it via coal ash is not going to be the
best way

PS. Will someone tell the news media that sulphur dioxide in rain does
not make sulphuric acid !

Old 30-01-2007, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 28, 2:57 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article " writes:|
| Find something else to worry about. Avoid putting the ash from too
| much tanalised timber or old paint, as they contain heavy metals,
| but vegetables will not take up much of them. Modern shiny paper is
| unlikely to be a problem.
|
| That's reassuring as I have always put the ash from our woodburner
| onto the garden. However, I also have a solid fuel range, can I put
| some of this on the garden?

Of course, but I can't tell you whether it will do good or harm!
It is probably marginal, whichever way, and will depend on the source
of the coal/coke/whatever you are using.

The main worry with coal and smokeless fuels is from trace impurities
of heavy metals and boron that are concentrated in the ash waste.
Boron can be damaging to some plants (and weeds) and the heavy metals
are perhaps not ideal use on your veg patch. Most plants will grow OK
in soil with relatively high concentrations of heavy metals without
much problem.

OTOH Wood ash is an excellent source of free potash for fruit trees
and bushes. And the onion bed seems to benefit from any bits of
residual charcoal that is left over.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 30-01-2007, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
(WaltA) writes:

| PS. Will someone tell the news media that sulphur dioxide in rain does
| not make sulphuric acid !

But you had better ensure that your language is not too sulphurous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-01-2007, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

| PS. Will someone tell the news media that sulphur dioxide in rain does
| not make sulphuric acid !

But you had better ensure that your language is not too sulphurous.

LOL !
Yes

Old 30-01-2007, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"Martin Brown" writes:

| The main worry with coal and smokeless fuels is from trace impurities
| of heavy metals and boron that are concentrated in the ash waste.

Yes.

| Boron can be damaging to some plants (and weeds) and the heavy metals
| are perhaps not ideal use on your veg patch. Most plants will grow OK
| in soil with relatively high concentrations of heavy metals without
| much problem.

Only in fairly large quantities. It is an important nutrient in
small ones. Just like many other metals for both plants and animals!

I don't know how mobile it is in the soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-01-2007, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Jan 30, 12:15?pm, (WaltA) wrote:
| PS. Will someone tell the news media that sulphur dioxide in rain does
| not make sulphuric acid !

But you had better ensure that your language is not too sulphurous.

LOL !
Yes

It never does any good to be vitriolic, either.

--
Mike.