Old 28-01-2007, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fire ash in compost worry

Normally I empty the ash from the log burner into the compost. I hear it is
good for the veg patch. Normally it is just wood ash but sometimes some
paper and card goes in the burner, sometimes shiny & printed stuff,
sometimes a bit of tanalised timber and sometimes some old wood with old
paint on it.

I don't know anything about the chemistry of these things but I did wonder
if I might be adding concentrated toxins to my veg patch.

Tim w

Old 28-01-2007, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Tim W" writes:
| Normally I empty the ash from the log burner into the compost. I hear it is
| good for the veg patch. Normally it is just wood ash but sometimes some
| paper and card goes in the burner, sometimes shiny & printed stuff,
| sometimes a bit of tanalised timber and sometimes some old wood with old
| paint on it.
|
| I don't know anything about the chemistry of these things but I did wonder
| if I might be adding concentrated toxins to my veg patch.

Find something else to worry about. Avoid putting the ash from too
much tanalised timber or old paint, as they contain heavy metals,
but vegetables will not take up much of them. Modern shiny paper is
unlikely to be a problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-01-2007, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan, 14:50, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Find something else to worry about. Avoid putting the ash from too
much tanalised timber or old paint, as they contain heavy metals,
but vegetables will not take up much of them. Modern shiny paper is
unlikely to be a problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That's reassuring as I have always put the ash from our woodburner
onto the garden. However, I also have a solid fuel range, can I put
some of this on the garden?

JudithL at home

Old 28-01-2007, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
" writes:

| Find something else to worry about. Avoid putting the ash from too
| much tanalised timber or old paint, as they contain heavy metals,
| but vegetables will not take up much of them. Modern shiny paper is
| unlikely to be a problem.
|
| That's reassuring as I have always put the ash from our woodburner
| onto the garden. However, I also have a solid fuel range, can I put
| some of this on the garden?

Of course, but I can't tell you whether it will do good or harm!
It is probably marginal, whichever way, and will depend on the source
of the coal/coke/whatever you are using.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-01-2007, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

| [...] I did wonder
| if I might be adding concentrated toxins to my veg patch.

Find something else to worry about. [...]

Easily done.

Thanks

Tim w

Old 28-01-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan, 13:35, "Tim W" wrote:
Normally I empty the ash from the log burner into the compost.

Fair enough. But I would consider keeping it separate, and laying it
in rings around tender plants. It forms an abrasive environment that
slugs don't like, and is a cheap and simple way of keeping the slimey
buggers off.

Old 28-01-2007, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 28, 2:57 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Of course, but I can't tell you whether it will do good or harm!
It is probably marginal, whichever way, and will depend on the source
of the coal/coke/whatever you are using.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I use those nut shaped things, Taybrite. I expect it will be o.k. for
the flower beds, I hope.

JudithL

Old 28-01-2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
" writes:

| Of course, but I can't tell you whether it will do good or harm!
| It is probably marginal, whichever way, and will depend on the source
| of the coal/coke/whatever you are using.
|
| I use those nut shaped things, Taybrite. I expect it will be o.k. for
| the flower beds, I hope.

Probably. A quick Web search indicated that their composition and even
shape are specified in a Statutory Instrument (albeit very approximately.)
18B in:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1997/19972658.htm

The mind boggles.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-01-2007, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 28, 5:43 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article Probably. A quick Web search indicated that their composition and even
shape are specified in a Statutory Instrument (albeit very approximately.)
18B in:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1997/19972658.htm

The mind boggles.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick, it seems there are statutes for everything these days!

JudithL

Old 29-01-2007, 04:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

| [...] I did wonder
| if I might be adding concentrated toxins to my veg patch.

Find something else to worry about. [...]

Easily done.

Thanks

Tim w

best way don't burn tanalised or painted wood. Toxins escape in to the air
and the ash is not good in the soil and burning too much can (note I said
can) result in excess deterioration of your fire box. 3 good reasons not to
use it, accepting the odd bit may get in accidently.

rob

Old 29-01-2007, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:35:04 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

Normally I empty the ash from the log burner into the compost. I hear it is
good for the veg patch. Normally it is just wood ash but sometimes some
paper and card goes in the burner, sometimes shiny & printed stuff,
sometimes a bit of tanalised timber and sometimes some old wood with old
paint on it.

I don't know anything about the chemistry of these things but I did wonder
if I might be adding concentrated toxins to my veg patch.

Tim w

I would echo Nick's comments. But remember that wood ash is quite
alkaline, being rich in potash but also lime. Fine for veg but not so
good for so-called lime-hating shrubs such as rhododendrons, camellias
and some heathers.

--
Chris

Old 29-01-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 28, 5:43 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article Probably. A quick Web search indicated that their

composition and even
shape are specified in a Statutory Instrument (albeit very

approximately.)
18B in:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1997/19972658.htm

The mind boggles.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick, it seems there are statutes for everything these days!

Cuts both ways: at least you know you're probably getting a product of
standard quality for your hard-earned. But, and I wonder if this is a
big "but": what about the sulphur content? If it's a high-sulphur coal
and you put a lot of its ash down for a long time it may not be a good
idea. I don't know what the limits are at all for scattering on the
beds, but I can't see it doing a compost heap any good.

--
Mike.

Old 30-01-2007, 05:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan 2007 14:50:33 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:#

Avoid putting the ash from too
much tanalised timber or old paint, as they contain heavy metals,
but vegetables will not take up much of them. Modern shiny paper is
unlikely to be a problem.

I seem to remember the EU getting involved in tanalising a few years
ago (20000/2001 ?) and that the old ( traditional) tanalising
involving heavy metals (copper, chromium and arsenic) had been banned.

The replacement stuff, (copper triazol ?) is supposedly less toxic to
touchy/feely children chewing upon it.
I dont know how it reacts in a fire !
But dioxins from all the other stuff are perhaps more pertinent if one
wants to worry onself to death !

All off top of head, caveat emptor ,,

Old 30-01-2007, 05:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:31:11 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
big "but": what about the sulphur content? If it's a high-sulphur coal
and you put a lot of its ash down for a long time it may not be a good
idea.

Sulphur has long been used in many forms to cure all sorts of ills in
the garden .
But I think that applying it via coal ash may, perhps, not be the best
way !