Old 30-01-2007, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Would anyone care to remind us idiots, when to plant seeds?

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 29, 12:55?pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote after

"Alan Holmes" writes:

| I never know when to start planting things and I'm sure there must
be
others
| who would also welcome a reminder of what to sow, and when.

[...]

Books and seed packets are usually good guides -- often better than
other gardeners, whose conditions may vary widely.

But this would require me to remember to get the packets out and read
them, my state of memory makes that almost impossible, whereas I read this
newsgroup every day!

I get all the seed packets and put them in order of the suggested sowing
time, earliest at the front etc. Then when you feel that conditions are all
right for the first lot, sow the first few, and as the season progresses,
sow the rest as you get the time etc, and hopefully you won't be far out.

It works for me:-)

Steve

Old 30-01-2007, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 30, 1:14 pm, "La Puce" wrote:
.. We could, in 10 years time, be planting our potatoes
in December if this carries on ...

silly assumption the weather patterns have not changed over decades
they go full circle

Old 30-01-2007, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" writes:

| I never know when to start planting things and I'm sure there must
be
others
| who would also welcome a reminder of what to sow, and when.

[...]

Books and seed packets are usually good guides -- often better than
other gardeners, whose conditions may vary widely.

But this would require me to remember to get the packets out and read
them, my state of memory makes that almost impossible, whereas I read
this newsgroup every day!

I get all the seed packets and put them in order of the suggested sowing
time, earliest at the front etc. Then when you feel that conditions are
all right for the first lot, sow the first few, and as the season
progresses, sow the rest as you get the time etc, and hopefully you won't
be far out.

It works for me:-)

But do you have my memory?

Or lack of!

Alan

Steve

Old 30-01-2007, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Minister" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 1:14 pm, "La Puce" wrote:
. We could, in 10 years time, be planting our potatoes
in December if this carries on ...

silly assumption the weather patterns have not changed over decades
they go full circle

When I was small there was ALWAYS snow at this time of year, but it's been
lacking for some time now!

Old 31-01-2007, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:13:15 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote
Books and seed packets are usually good guides -- often better than
other gardeners, whose conditions may vary widely.

But this would require me to remember to get the packets out and read
them, my state of memory makes that almost impossible, whereas I read
this
newsgroup every day!
Alan

1 Take 1 old
2 Cut 12l bits of cardboard to fit into the box
3 Write the name of the months on the bits of card
4 Make a cup of tea
5 Sit down with tea, seed, packets, shoebox and cardboard
6 Sort the seed packets into the various months
7 place filled shoe box in de GH or wherever you plant your seeds.........

There is something odd about steps 1 and 2.
Martin

Ooooops
1 Take an old shoebox

Old 31-01-2007, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Jan 30, 11:04?am, Sacha wrote:
On 30/1/07 09:46, in article , "Keith

(Dorset)" wrote:
One story I heard that the 'old gardeners' used to use, was to bare thier
bums and sit on the earth. When they felt comfortable - it wast time to sow!

Before you ask - no I don't...

I was thinking more of their reaction when it *isn't* time to sow!!

I first heard that one as a guide to sowing barley. There are more
comfortable variants for the faint-hearted, or gluteally
hypersensitive: "Sow wheat in mud, barley in dust", or "Sow your
barley when you can't see what colour horse the neighbour's using".

There's much to be learned from simple peasant wisdom. Consider the
traditional rhyme:
"When buds do burst on the sukebind tree,
'Tis time to spread your 2-4-5-T."

--
Mike.

Old 31-01-2007, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin"
"JennyC" wrote:
"Martin" wrote

"JennyC" wrote:
1 Take 1 old
2 Cut 12l bits of cardboard to fit into the box
3 Write the name of the months on the bits of card
4 Make a cup of tea
5 Sit down with tea, seed, packets, shoebox and cardboard
6 Sort the seed packets into the various months
7 place filled shoe box in de GH or wherever you plant your
seeds.........

There is something odd about steps 1 and 2.
Martin

Ooooops
1 Take an old shoebox

from the gutter and convert it into ...

You'd have to evict the 150 Yorkshiremen first.........

and then there is the 12 litres of cardboard.

It's a pretty big shoebox.....
Jenny

Old 01-02-2007, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes

.

and then there is the 12 litres of cardboard.

Is that like papier mache?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 01-02-2007, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Would anyone care to remind us idiots... (another unhelpful 'witticism')

Hence the expresion 'sowing one's oats'?

Have fun,

Keith

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 02-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Holmes
I never know when to start planting things and I'm sure there must be others
who would also welcome a reminder of what to sow, and when.

So, who is going to volunteer?

Alan
Plants that take a long time to develop such as begonias, antirrhinums and sweet peas can be sown indoors or in a heated greenhouse in january or February. Other annuals should be sown around March or April time.

http://www.link2garden.com/Plants___Seeds/UK/
Old 02-02-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com, Mike
Lyle writes

There's much to be learned from simple peasant wisdom. Consider the
traditional rhyme:
"When buds do burst on the sukebind tree,
'Tis time to spread your 2-4-5-T."

Oh and don't forget

"when piglets fly and puppies moo
'tis time to paint your fencing blue".

Or on the other hand

"when soil is warm and breezes gentler
'tis time to visit a garden centre"

Old 02-02-2007, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/2/07 12:27, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 2/2/07 11:32, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
| wrote:
|
| Oh and don't forget
|
| "when piglets fly and puppies moo
| 'tis time to paint your fencing blue".
|
| Or on the other hand
|
| "when soil is warm and breezes gentler
| 'tis time to visit a garden centre"
|
| Cheeky woman! Now you've got to do one to rhyme with 'nursery'. ;-))

When first you cash your brand new bursary,
'Tis time to visit the good old nursery.

Not at all bad, Nick! I like that one.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk