Old 29-01-2007, 05:01 AM
Registered User

Smile New Garden! Ideas/Advise Needed!! ^.^

Hello everyone

I moved into my apartment in July 2006 and was told I have a small area of garden at the back. It's not too small it's directly under my kitchen window and at the moment it's kinda neglected.... Now the apartments all decorated I decided with my partner to do it up abit, We also have a fron Garden about 15-16 Inchs width that goes from my bedroom all the way to my living room window that I wanna sort out too.
I have started growing some plants already so far we have planted and growin

- Salvia(Blaze Of Fire)
- Antirrhinum(Monarch Mixed)
- Petunia(Bedding Mixed)
- Lobelia(Crystal Palace)

Now me and my partner and lookin for seeds that we can grow indoors in Januray - Febuary,
We have all our plants in door at moment because of the cold but it's warning up outside so we are gonna grow them to a decent size then move them out.
Also as for outside planning so far we have decided on some blue slate bits to maybe put around edges or have them near wall to make it blend.
Theres a bush/tree type thing out in back garden at moment so might keep it might move it will get some pictures of it tommrow as I don't know what it is.

Anyway any advice would be great.
Thanks
Old 29-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Registered User

No one then?
Old 30-01-2007, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Garden! Ideas/Advise Needed!! ^.^

"Hotaru" wrote in message

No one then?

Might help if you told us whereabouts in the world you are..... there's a
huge difference between the UK and Idaho for instance
Jenny

Old 30-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Registered User

Tee hee
I'm I'n UK - Yorkshire - Leeds
Old 30-01-2007, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hotaru" wrote in message

Tee hee
I'm I'n UK - Yorkshire - Leeds

You won't get much response from this purist newsgroup because you post from
gardenbanter :-((

To the 'owners' of uk.rec.gardening, that is as welcome as a pork chop in a
synagogue.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 30-01-2007, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Jan, 13:55, Hotaru wrote:
Tee hee
I'm I'n UK - Yorkshire - Leeds

Hullo, neighbour (Manchester).

I'm not too sure where to start. I don't want you to think that we are
horrible people in here you see. There's so so so so many beautiful
flowers and plants that you could have, all depending of soil, sun,
rain, drainage etc. and sadly the first plants you have chosen would
have never ever be my choice, ever. Sorry to be so direct but that's
me ) Second your garden is the most challenging I have ever come
across. A 16inch garden is quite amazing. Are you from Liliput and do
you live in a shoe?

Old 31-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Registered User

I went to my local garden center today and they had a sale on all seeds! 17p a packet so I bought all the Jan-Feb ones I could see,
Also got many types of Fushcia might be wrong spellin
Im getting them all started soon and fushia are already grown abit,
I love flowers so much so relaxing
Old 31-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Registered User

Oh tee hee the 16inch is 24 inch and also that like the path lines at the front the back garden is alot larger!
And no I have a large apartment tee hee
Old 31-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Registered User

I managed to egt some more flowers for my garden, Many diffrent Fushias my fave is Dark Eyes but my partner loves SnowGlobe ones.
got more seeds

-Verbena
-Cosmos
-Sweet Pea
-Petunia
-Nasturitium
-Delphininium

I went for plants that will go in my back garden area for the sun and flowers that I liked, I love bright and colourful flowers.
I have many seeds growin as I type this and doing VERY well happly growing
I made sure I got right soil/plantfood for them too,

Will post pics very soon of back garden now(I hate it it's a posh area I live in but the last person neglected it big time.)

Old 31-01-2007, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Jan, 21:55, Martin wrote:
When it comes to potatoes?

Which reminds me - last night as I was discussing something with my
youngest, he disagreed with me and to perhaps to strengthen his
argument he said to me : 'You say tomatoes, I say potatoes'. g

Old 31-01-2007, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 29, 4:01 am, Hotaru wrote:
We also have a
fron Garden about 15-16 Inchs width that goes from my bedroom all the
way to my living room window that I wanna sort out too.
I have started growing some plants already so far we have planted and
growin

- Salvia(Blaze Of Fire)
- Antirrhinum(Monarch Mixed)
- Petunia(Bedding Mixed)
- Lobelia(Crystal Palace)

For the size of small strip that you have at the front, you will need
small plants and you seem to have chosen well above.

There are some miniature roses that would look very pretty in the
strip and would rise above the height of the bedding plants and give a
different dimension. You could also put sweet peas in and grow these
up a small wigwam which, again, will give you height.

I hope that helps a little but well done in trying to make something
of a small space.

JudithL

Old 31-01-2007, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Gill Matthews writes
In article ,
says...

I went to my local garden center today and they had a sale on all seeds!
17p a packet so I bought all the Jan-Feb ones I could see,
Also got many types of Fushcia might be wrong spellin
Im getting them all started soon and fushia are already grown abit,
I love flowers so much so relaxing

I hope this works out for you. The problem with buying seed is that you either
get one sad little specimen or enough to fully plant one of the main beds at
the Royal Horticultural Society Gardens at Wisely

The seeds are probably last season's, and not kept in brilliant
conditions. Some seeds are tougher than others, so if any packets don't
germinate, don't feel downhearted - it's probably not your fault. Some
seeds are tough as old boots, so you've got a good chance of getting
some good plants.

Gill is right - either you hit exactly the right time for sowing, and
every seed germinates, or you don't, and you get hardly anything. But
don't let that put you off! I often sow in succession, so that if the
seeds from the first sowing don't show, I can try a few more a bit
later, and a bit later again. It's very much a matter of luck - you know
what the temperatures are today, but you don't know what's going to
happen in two weeks time.

Any seeds you don't sow, keep in a plastic bag in the fridge. They may
still be OK next year. Or not. But there's no harm in trying.

If you want fun later in the year, you can try taking cuttings from
fuchsias - cut off a non-flowering twig about 4-6inches long. Cut the
base just below where two leaves are sprouting. Remove all the leaves
except one or two at the top. Then push it into a pot of damp but not
wet compost so that at lest 2/3 of it is underground, put the entire pot
into a large clear plastic bag, and tie at the top. Put the bag in a
shady place. If you try several cuttings, you may find that one or two
of them take, giving you new plants. You can tell when they've taken as
they'll start pushing roots out of the holes in the bottom of the pot.

Most Fuchsias will need to come in in the winter, but a few, mostly
smaller flowered ones, are hardy - they'll get cut back to ground level
by frosts, but new shoots will appear in spring. If you get good at
cuttings, you have spare plants to allow you to experiment.

The most important thing in gardening is to look at the results of
anything you do, and think about it. Don't worry too much about final
results, relax and enjoy it as you go along. The process of growing is
where the real enjoyment is.

You haven't had many replies to your original question, possibly because
it was a bit wide ranging. The answer to what you can grow depends so
much on what it is you want to grow. I've learnt a lot by visiting
garden centres and nurseries (1), not just in May when everyone's
thoughts turn to gardens, but all the year through. You can see plants
you like, make a note of them, then browse the web to find out what
growing conditions they like and whether they are worth considering.

Don't forget to plant one or two things that will be interesting in
winter. There are a few winter flowering things, some with strong
scents. Otherwise, look at coloured stems, evergreen foliage, berries.

(1) If you're in NW Leeds try High Trees up near the airport.
--
Kay
Old 01-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Registered User

Thanks Judith ^.^

I also have a indoor Greenhouse now too hehe.
And some plants are for the back garden which is MUCH Larger and I mean like 10X the size lol.

I have 2 full trays of seeds all doing amazeingly well.
And some really nice Star Pansys and Fushsias that are already grown to about 4 inch ish have them in kitchen window growin now with some wonder grow plant plus.