Old 30-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Registered User

Unhappy pond primer

I have a large wooden half barrel, which I want to put fish in...I had problems before when several fish died..I thought it was a residue from the port wine that had been stored in the barrel...I've cleaned and dried it out..Is there anything I can paint it with to stop the same thing happening again?...........
Old 30-01-2007, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pond primer

solaara wrote:
I have a large wooden half barrel, which I want to put fish in...I had
problems before when several fish died..I thought it was a residue
from the port wine that had been stored in the barrel...I've cleaned
and dried it out..Is there anything I can paint it with to stop the
same thing happening again?...........

There is a product called G4, which is for sealing fibreglass ponds. I don't
know if it would work on wood.
Give Bradshaws a ring...........

http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...me/default.asp

and ask. I assume you will be filtering?
HTH

--
ßôyþëtë

http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/

Old 30-01-2007, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BoyPete wrote:
solaara wrote:
I have a large wooden half barrel, which I want to put fish in...I
had problems before when several fish died..I thought it was a
residue from the port wine that had been stored in the barrel...I've
cleaned and dried it out..Is there anything I can paint it with to
stop the same thing happening again?...........

There is a product called G4, which is for sealing fibreglass ponds.
I don't know if it would work on wood.
Give Bradshaws a ring...........

http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...me/default.asp

and ask. I assume you will be filtering?
HTH

Direct link to the fishy forum.............
http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/fo...ay.php?fid=104
You need to sign up to post. Apologies for a very slow server tonight. Bums
being kicked as I post
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 31-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Registered User

Wink

[quote=BoyPete]solaara wrote:
I have a large wooden half barrel, which I want to put fish in...I had
problems before when several fish died..I thought it was a residue
from the port wine that had been stored in the barrel...I've cleaned
and dried it out..Is there anything I can paint it with to stop the
same thing happening again?...........

There is a product called G4, which is for sealing fibreglass ponds. I don't
know if it would work on wood.
Give Bradshaws a ring...........

http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...me/default.asp

and ask. I assume you will be filtering?
HTH

--
ßôyþëtë

I am going to filter and I will give Bradshaws a try.....Thanks for suggestion!... Solaara
Old 31-01-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"solaara" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/2ae46c

and ask. I assume you will be filtering?
HTH

--
ßôyþëtë

I am going to filter and I will give Bradshaws a try.....Thanks for
suggestion!... Solaara

Why on earth would you want to 'filter'?

Alan

Old 31-01-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

solaara wrote:
BoyPete Wrote:
solaara wrote:-
I have a large wooden half barrel, which I want to put fish in...I
had
problems before when several fish died..I thought it was a residue
from the port wine that had been stored in the barrel...I've cleaned
and dried it out..Is there anything I can paint it with to stop the
same thing happening again?...........-

There is a product called G4, which is for sealing fibreglass ponds.
I don't
know if it would work on wood.
Give Bradshaws a ring...........

http://tinyurl.com/2ae46c

and ask. I assume you will be filtering?
HTH

--
ßôyþëtë

I am going to filter and I will give Bradshaws a try.....Thanks for
suggestion!... Solaara

Had another thought. If we are going to experience hot summers like last
year, you might like to think about an air pump feeding one or two
airstones. With no plants (I assume) and not a lot of water surface area,
you could have oxygen starved fish. HTH
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 31-01-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
"solaara" wrote in message

BoyPete Wrote:
solaara wrote:-
[...]

Best explained here Alan.............

http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html#21

--
ßôyþëtë

Old 31-01-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

"BoyPete" wrote in message
solaara wrote:
BoyPete Wrote:
solaara wrote:-
[...]

If there is a filter, the filtered circulation water will oxygenate
the water when it re-enters.
My fish have survived 13+ years on that assumption.
But then, they are higgorint. They don't know about airstones.
:-)

--
ned

Old 31-01-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ned" wrote:

But then, they are higgorint. They don't know about airstones.

I remember reading years ago in an aquarium magazine that airstones didn't
aerate the way you think. It's the constant turning over of the
oxygen-saturated top layer that really does it. Which is why a power
filter accomplishes the same thing.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gary Woods wrote:
"ned" wrote:

But then, they are higgorint. They don't know about airstones.

I remember reading years ago in an aquarium magazine that airstones
didn't aerate the way you think. It's the constant turning over of
the oxygen-saturated top layer that really does it. Which is why a
power
filter accomplishes the same thing.

Gary Woods

In an aquarium, quite correct.
--
ßôyþëtë

Primer on Plant Nutrition Ray Orchids 0 14-08-2004 03:19 PM
Primer on Plant Nutrition Ray Orchids 0 14-08-2004 03:19 PM
Algae primer test Ka30P Ponds 16 10-08-2004 05:57 PM
Why do mowers have primer bulbs? Mainframe Lawns 22 19-06-2004 02:06 PM
[IBC] Chamaecyparis soil type question - and a small Google primer kevin bailey Bonsai 0 04-08-2003 11:02 AM