GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Min/Max Thermometer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/152754-min-max-thermometer.html)

Broadback 01-02-2007 01:39 PM

Min/Max Thermometer

Can someone recommend a good min/max thermometer for my greenhouse
please? I purchased one with 2 indicators that looked like pencil lead
and a button to press to "zero" them. It was hopeless, the indicators
did not always zero and on doing so tended to bounce back up. The only
way to get it to work was subjecting to centrifugal force by wind
milling it with my arm.

Gary Woods 01-02-2007 02:09 PM

Min/Max Thermometer

Broadback wrote:

Can someone recommend a good min/max thermometer for my greenhouse
please?

In a generic sense: The digital ones are so good now that I wouldn't
consider anything else. Min/max, often remote reading with settable alarm,
and all cheaper than a good "conventional" thermometer. At any U.S. garden
shop, but they're all made in Asia somewhere, so I'm sure available across
the pond as well.

Chris Hogg 01-02-2007 06:22 PM

Min/Max Thermometer

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:39:20 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

Can someone recommend a good min/max thermometer for my greenhouse
please? I purchased one with 2 indicators that looked like pencil lead
and a button to press to "zero" them. It was hopeless, the indicators
did not always zero and on doing so tended to bounce back up. The only
way to get it to work was subjecting to centrifugal force by wind
milling it with my arm.

You should be able to reset them with a small magnet. Just drag the
indicators back down to the top of the mercury thread. That's how they
used to be done, before the button pressing versions came along. Of
course, the indicators may no longer be magnetic, but I don't dee how
else they could be moved.

--
Chris

BoyPete 01-02-2007 07:02 PM

Min/Max Thermometer

Gary Woods wrote:
Broadback wrote:

Can someone recommend a good min/max thermometer for my greenhouse
please?

In a generic sense: The digital ones are so good now that I wouldn't
consider anything else. Min/max, often remote reading with settable
alarm, and all cheaper than a good "conventional" thermometer. At
any U.S. garden shop, but they're all made in Asia somewhere, so I'm
sure available across the pond as well.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420'
elevation. NY WO G

Yep, def. get a digital one. I recently got a weather station from Aldi for
£15! Gives min/max indoors and out (remote sensor) humidity, pressure with
trend, radio controlled clock..............blah blah. :)
have a look here......
http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acata...y_thr_sub.html
http://www.skyview.co.uk/dept1/acatalog/Home.html
HTH :)
--
ßôyþëtë

Nick Maclaren 01-02-2007 07:59 PM

Min/Max Thermometer

In article ,
"BoyPete" writes:

| Yep, def. get a digital one. I recently got a weather station from Aldi for
| £15! Gives min/max indoors and out (remote sensor) humidity, pressure with
| trend, radio controlled clock..............blah blah. :)
| have a look here......
| http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acata...y_thr_sub.html
| http://www.skyview.co.uk/dept1/acatalog/Home.html
| HTH :)

I was given such a device for my birthday, and it broke beyond repair
within weeks. Even when it worked, it was so pernicketty that I could
never tell if it was measuring the real temperature.

Cheap analogue min/max thermometers are trash, but cheap digital ones
can be even worse.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hugh Jampton 01-02-2007 08:26 PM

Min/Max Thermometer

On 1 Feb 2007 19:59:46 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I was given such a device for my birthday, and it broke beyond repair
within weeks. Even when it worked, it was so pernicketty that I could
never tell if it was measuring the real temperature.

Cheap analogue min/max thermometers are trash, but cheap digital ones
can be even worse.

Hmmmm ... I've had the WS8610 (as shown in BoyPete's first link) for a year
and a half. It's been great and very accurate - checked regularly against
local weather stations. OK it's not a Davis weather station but I've had my
£40 worth out of it :-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

K 01-02-2007 09:30 PM

Min/Max Thermometer

Broadback writes
Can someone recommend a good min/max thermometer for my greenhouse
please? I purchased one with 2 indicators that looked like pencil lead
and a button to press to "zero" them. It was hopeless, the indicators
did not always zero and on doing so tended to bounce back up. The only
way to get it to work was subjecting to centrifugal force by wind
milling it with my arm.

See if you can slide the indicators down with a magnet.
--
Kay

[email protected] 02-02-2007 01:03 AM

Min/Max Thermometer

Broadback wrote:
Can someone recommend a good min/max thermometer for my greenhouse
please? I purchased one with 2 indicators that looked like pencil lead
and a button to press to "zero" them. It was hopeless, the indicators
did not always zero and on doing so tended to bounce back up. The only
way to get it to work was subjecting to centrifugal force by wind
milling it with my arm.

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/basic_sub.html lists a
stainless one, which I think is the same as the one I bought my
brother-in-law from the local garden centre.

I am surprised that no-one makes a matching pair of max-min and
Mason's (wet/dry) instruments. Never found one.