Old 04-02-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grow your own veg!

On 4 Feb, 12:07, "JennyC" wrote:
Yephttp://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/panel/index.shtml

He is lovely isn't it )) The other day I got gobsmacked by the
findings that the lotus flower was related to the Plane tree. A DNA
thing. This programme is wonderful. No need for tv, you can just
imagine the images in your mind ....

Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

There is a programme currently on TV about growing your own veg and it is
claimed that a plot 3 metres (10 feet) square can provide you with veg
all
years round.

Is that really possible?

Alan

Do you really think that programme is any good Alan, I found it silly and
frivolous. some good moments but generally a lot of faffing about with
the camera, with music and pictures of happy families digging in their
soil etc.

I don't think it is any good either, but I just HAD to watch it, just in
case there was someting interesting, fool that I am!

Didn't show putting up bean supports or pea supports. Not at all what I
was expecting ...........

I was expecting more as well!

I cannot believe that Carol Klein didn't realise that sowing seeds under
a magnolia tree wouldn't incur some drawbacks! She seemed surprised that
the roots had stopped her crops from growing full size !

I couldn't undersatnd that bit either, I would not have planted anything
that close to any tree

One of those good ideas that have been hi jacked by the "meeja" types
again ... sigh

It's a 'lifestyle' programme, made to look good and suck the wannabe
gardener's in. Not much cop for the serious gardener, but it hits its mark.
Hence all the shots of children climbing trees, robins eating out of hands,
rural veg gardens and the grainy out of focus 8mm cine film linking shots.
The occasional music is well chosen too. Good-looking, arty, feel-good
stuff, and well done IMO for its intended target. Better sticking to Monty
Don or what have you for the more serious stuff.

Andy.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy" wrote It's a 'lifestyle' programme, made
to look good and suck the wannabe
gardener's in. Not much cop for the serious gardener, but it hits its
mark. Hence all the shots of children climbing trees, robins eating out of
hands, rural veg gardens and the grainy out of focus 8mm cine film linking
shots. The occasional music is well chosen too. Good-looking, arty,
feel-good stuff, and well done IMO for its intended target. Better
sticking to Monty Don or what have you for the more serious stuff.
Andy.

I agree that it's not very 'in depth' info but there are a lot of things I
like about the prog:
Carol gives one hope that not all ladies of a 'certain age' are grumpy....
Her enthusiasm is catching
Wrinkles can look OK
I love the music - find myself remembering stuff I'd forgotten ....
The robin is sweet - wish mine was as tame

It actually makes me want to grow my own
Jenny

Old 04-02-2007, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Feb, 19:38, "JennyC" wrote:
I agree that it's not very 'in depth' info but there are a lot of things I
like about the prog:
Carol gives one hope that not all ladies of a 'certain age' are grumpy....
Her enthusiasm is catching
Wrinkles can look OK
I love the music - find myself remembering stuff I'd forgotten ....
The robin is sweet - wish mine was as tame
It actually makes me want to grow my own

Be a 'serious gardener' Jenny. You cannot grow robins.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 20:38:29 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

I agree that it's not very 'in depth' info but there are a lot of things I
like about the prog:
Carol gives one hope that not all ladies of a 'certain age' are grumpy....
Her enthusiasm is catching
Wrinkles can look OK
I love the music - find myself remembering stuff I'd forgotten ....
The robin is sweet - wish mine was as tame

It actually makes me want to grow my own
Jenny

Jenny, I agree with you. Carol K's enthusiasm and obvious enjoyment
give inspiration, and hopefully people who have never before tried to
grow veg will give it a try.
It's not all success. They show the problems, like the cabbage-white
etc.
I'm really enjoying the series.

Pam in Bristol

Old 05-02-2007, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On 4 Feb 2007 13:19:18 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

On 4 Feb, 19:38, "JennyC" wrote:

snip
The robin is sweet - wish mine was as tame
It actually makes me want to grow my own

Be a 'serious gardener' Jenny. You cannot grow robins.

You beat me to it, Puce. She could always buy a bird box.

That is a typically idiotic post from LaPuke

--

Martin

Old 05-02-2007, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mel
writes
I agree. I was extremely disappointed because the programme taught me
nothing. I want to see a normal (non-celebrity), but experienced person
tackling an abandoned council allotment from scratch, and follow them
in-depth throughout the growing year.

Do you see the programme "Allotment" on, It's on Discovery Real Time
extra Mondays at 6.30pm
It's very hands on and shows all sorts of allotments and even flower
growing plus shows and general gardening tips. The presenters clearly
love growing vegetables and they don't prattle on too much, they even
have their own allotments.. Last week they were showing huge vegetables
but made the point that taste was important! I think tomorrow night's
episode must be about no.15.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 05-02-2007, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , JennyC
wrote:

[...]

It's honest, engaging, sensual and emotional and absolutely hits its
mark imho. It's a pity that a few of the hortisnobs around here have to
let us know how superior their knowledge is, as if that's some kind of
valid critique.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 4 Feb, 19:38, "JennyC" wrote:
I agree that it's not very 'in depth' info but there are a lot of things
like about the prog:
Carol gives one hope that not all ladies of a 'certain age' are
grumpy....
Her enthusiasm is catching
Wrinkles can look OK
I love the music - find myself remembering stuff I'd forgotten ....
The robin is sweet - wish mine was as tame
It actually makes me want to grow my own

Be a 'serious gardener' Jenny. You cannot grow robins.

Damn, another illusion bites the dust :~)
Jenny

Old 05-02-2007, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Feb, 00:51, Stan The Man wrote:
It's honest, engaging, sensual and emotional and absolutely hits its
mark imho. It's a pity that a few of the hortisnobs around here have to
let us know how superior their knowledge is, as if that's some kind of
valid critique

And it's frustrating. I just cannot find my Cat Steven's album .... ;o)

Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Feb, 13:25, Martin wrote:
Didn't you heat it with granny's hair drier and turn it into an oh so
fashionable vinyl flower pot 20 years ago?

On a roll aren't we Martin. Don't underestimate my power of creativity
blink blink nudge nudge

Old 05-02-2007, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Feb, 14:08, Martin wrote:
Artisan broodje kaas, Puce?

Hmmm... you might go too fast there, but no, not yet. Wait till I get
me goat.

In my rummage I still haven't found Mr Steven's Lp but found Nitin
Sawhney Beyond Skin. My ... I had forgotten how good this record
was )

Old 05-02-2007, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Feb, 15:05, Martin wrote:
Artisan broodje geitenkaas?

Ja. BAaaaahhhhh....

Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 06:40:28 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

"La Puce" wrote in message
groups.com...
On 4 Feb, 19:38, "JennyC" wrote:
I agree that it's not very 'in depth' info but there are a lot of
things
like about the prog:
Carol gives one hope that not all ladies of a 'certain age' are
grumpy....
Her enthusiasm is catching
Wrinkles can look OK
I love the music - find myself remembering stuff I'd forgotten ....
The robin is sweet - wish mine was as tame
It actually makes me want to grow my own

Be a 'serious gardener' Jenny. You cannot grow robins.

Damn, another illusion bites the dust :~)

Have you thought of growing tits?
Of course you haven't.
Martin

With this weather they'd be blue ones ;~)
Jenny

Old 05-02-2007, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On 5 Feb 2007 03:14:03 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

On 5 Feb, 00:51, Stan The Man wrote:
It's honest, engaging, sensual and emotional and absolutely hits its
mark imho. It's a pity that a few of the hortisnobs around here have to
let us know how superior their knowledge is, as if that's some kind of
valid critique

And it's frustrating. I just cannot find my Cat Steven's album .... ;o)

Didn't you heat it with granny's hair drier and turn it into an oh so
fashionable vinyl flower pot 20 years ago?
Martin

there is a new 'shop' here in r'dam selling recycled stuff made into other
things.... they have fruit bowls (LPs) pen holders (singles) for sale ....
Jenny :~)