Old 11-02-2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Inverted snobbery.... yawn. (OT)

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:39:06 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]
Or the idiocy of coming out on strike because there is not enough

sugar in
the tea (Ford Dagenham)

I didn't know that!

But did it actually happen? In any civilian employment I know about,
people pay for their own at the canteen or from the tea swindle: not
something it would make any sense to take up with the management. Few
adult civilians would be subjected to a situation where they didn't have
a choice about how much sugar went in their tea. I fancy I scent an
urban myth of perhaps even less than "Winterval" credibility.

I got near to causing a strike by changing a 13 amp fuse in a plug
attached to a
piece of equipment that I was using that belonged to my employer and not
to the
company that was borrowing it.
Martin

I heard a story (might be another myth Mike) about a chap drilling a hole in
a wooden wall and coming out the other side into a metal
wall............down tools by the metal workers union........
Jenny

Old 11-02-2007, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote

My experience was in Stevenage.
Martin

Agggghhhh - small world !
Jenny

Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message
[...]
[...]

It's the kind of joke people tell over their tea (just half a sugar for
me, please). Where it does seem to have turned certifiably crazy was in
Fleet Street and in the very few places affected by '70s wildcats (the
scary "Red Robbo" kind of thing), or the nastier inter-union disputes.

--
Mike.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:51:46 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote

My experience was in Stevenage.

Agggghhhh - small world !

Gunnelswood Road
Martin

Scary - my Dad worked there for English Electric .....later BAE
Jenny

Old 11-02-2007, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

I heard a story (might be another myth Mike) about a chap drilling a hole
in a wooden wall and coming out the other side into a metal
wall............down tools by the metal workers union........
Jenny

Fitting a Porthole into a ship.
Shipwright to mark it out
Burner to cut most of the hole.
Caulker to trim the hole.
Shipwright to mark the holes for the rivets
Driller to drill the holes
Riveter to fit the porthole in.
Shipwright to mark the holes for the curtain rail and drip tray
Driller to drill the holes
Joiner to fit the curtain rail
Coppersmith to make the drip tray
Shipwright to fit it.

I kid you not. That was the 50's when I was doing my Apprenticeship.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 11-02-2007, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message

I heard a story (might be another myth Mike) about a chap drilling a hole
in a wooden wall and coming out the other side into a metal
wall............down tools by the metal workers union........
Jenny

Fitting a Porthole into a ship.
Shipwright to mark it out
Burner to cut most of the hole.
Caulker to trim the hole.
Shipwright to mark the holes for the rivets
Driller to drill the holes
Riveter to fit the porthole in.
Shipwright to mark the holes for the curtain rail and drip tray
Driller to drill the holes
Joiner to fit the curtain rail
Coppersmith to make the drip tray
Shipwright to fit it.

I kid you not. That was the 50's when I was doing my Apprenticeship.
Mike

2007 = one multi functional programmed machine :~)
Jenny

Old 11-02-2007, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:26:03 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]
You pay a LOT less tax than most Europeans .....

But do they get better value out of tax than we do?

For a start, I understand they have better health services in France

and
Germany, and I believe live longer as a result. Especially now

they've
stopped smoking Gauloises all the time.

You can believe what you like, from what I have seen in Germany and

France
there's not a lot of difference. In France you get given antibiotics

for
everything and in Germany suppositories. In the German hospital I was

in all the
nursing staff were German speaking Poles, Russians etc.because the

locals won't
work for the wages offered.

The French are big on suppositories, too!

No, sorry, my all-but mistake: I've looked at the always fascinating CIA
World Factbook*, and in fact the difference in life expectancy isn't as
great as I thought. They do lead UK, but France by a year and a bit, and
Germany by only about three months (estimates for 2006). I haven't
explored to find if the difference by social class, region, etc varies
significantly between these countries.
*https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications.../2102rank.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/s7p5q

--
Mike.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:05:04 +0000, June Hughes

wrote:

In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 07:21:51 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote
It is said that Bush isn't the moron he appears to be!

The few americans I have spoken to are convinced he is a moron!
Alan

They will soon be able to choose between a woman or a black candidate :~))

but still have to make do with very rich morons :-)

Hilary Clinton is far from being a moron.

I didn't say she was. I was referring to the one that will be elected.

Ah! Well, that's altogether different.
--
June Hughes
Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote
It is said that Bush isn't the moron he appears to be!

The few americans I have spoken to are convinced he is a moron!
Alan

They will soon be able to choose between a woman or a black candidate :~))

Let's hope they choose the right one, whichever it is!

The right one for whom?
--
June Hughes
Old 11-02-2007, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote
It is said that Bush isn't the moron he appears to be!

The few americans I have spoken to are convinced he is a moron!
Alan

They will soon be able to choose between a woman or a black candidate
:~))

Let's hope they choose the right one, whichever it is!

The right one for whom?

For them, and us.

Hopefully the next one will not stand Bliar being such a wimp!

Alan

Old 12-02-2007, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

Mining was destroyed by that idiot who was in charge of the union.

Alan

And done very nicely for himself since then. So much for brother
unity
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Inverted tomatos Not@home Gardening 10 29-09-2009 07:26 PM
Yawn, Terryc Australia 1 14-07-2006 02:21 AM
trolls-yawn kc Ponds 4 04-06-2005 04:30 AM
Inverted tomatoes? luriko Gardening 15 31-05-2005 01:16 AM