GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shaped Top Lapped Fencing Quality (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/153847-shaped-top-lapped-fencing-quality.html)

John 05-02-2007 04:26 PM

Shaped Top Lapped Fencing Quality

I'm shortly to replace approximately 60ft of 6 ft lapped
fencing panels and am considering the type topped
by curved trellice. My question is - as they do not look
as sturdy as the plain ones - are they good value?
Or are they likely to be short lived?

Thank you for help and guidance.

John.

p.k. 05-02-2007 04:40 PM

John wrote:
I'm shortly to replace approximately 60ft of 6 ft lapped
fencing panels and am considering the type topped
by curved trellice. My question is - as they do not look
as sturdy as the plain ones - are they good value?
Or are they likely to be short lived?

Thank you for help and guidance.

As always you get what you pay for, Forrest fencing and similar are robust,
jonny timber merchant own brand rip off is not.

pk

Sacha 05-02-2007 05:12 PM

Shaped Top Lapped Fencing Quality

On 5/2/07 16:40, in article , "p.k."
wrote:

John wrote:
I'm shortly to replace approximately 60ft of 6 ft lapped
fencing panels and am considering the type topped
by curved trellice. My question is - as they do not look
as sturdy as the plain ones - are they good value?
Or are they likely to be short lived?

Thank you for help and guidance.

As always you get what you pay for, Forrest fencing and similar are robust,
jonny timber merchant own brand rip off is not.

But depending on where you live and of course, price, there may be a sawmill
that will make these things for you to your specs.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Keith \(Dorset\) 06-02-2007 09:02 PM

Shaped Top Lapped Fencing Quality

John,

I recently bought three. (Sorry I can't recall what brand they are as a
builder friend got them for me). They are of the 'new' design you mention
and cost about £45 each and are extremely well made. Naturally the wood is
terated.

The stability will depend more on how you erect them.

Use 4x4 treated timber for the supporting posts. Put them at least 18in into
the ground. Concrete them in.

We live on the edge of a cliff and they have already survived winds up to
60mph.

NB If your area is windy, go for the type that has lapping on alternate
sides, where the wind can get between the gaps to break the pressure.

Good luck,

Keith