Old 07-02-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Tetanus jabs

On 7 Feb, 14:50, Martin wrote:
On 7 Feb 2007 06:47:07 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:
But I got a jab there and then because the last one I had had I was 9
years old, after being bitten by a dog in Bridgewater, of all places.

You could have been bitten in a more painful place.

)))

Old 07-02-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
: "La Puce" wrote in message
: oups.com...
:: On 7 Feb, 10:53, Sacha wrote:
::: Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab
::: lately. Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp
::: implements and/or delving
::: into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our
::: dogs having a fight last Friday
::
:: Ths is very well, or perhaps not, but your husband got bitten by your
:: own dog and therefore didn't get infected by soil. But, he is a
:: nursery man, working with soil all the time. How truly bizarre to
:: give such a warning to gardeners who are, I very much suspect, up to
:: date with their jabs, I know I am - 4 years before the next one -
:: and not look closer to home?!
::
: You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole
: life !!
: I worked on farms, with horses, pigs, various crops etc and never
: thought about it.
: Do you think it's essential for home gardeners /
: Jenny

We have advice for our members on the allotment website but whether anybody
takes any notice I wouldn't know www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 07-02-2007, 04:21 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:47:27 +0000, Sacha wrote:

No, thank goodness. I was on the look out for that myself.

When I got cellulitis I'd never heard of it before let alone seen it,
thats why I basicaly ignored the first, very mild, signs. I won't do that
again! If you hit it with antibiotics early on it's not a problem but let
it get hold for a 24 to 48hrs and it becomes serious to life threatening.

The scary thing is that is comes from a very common bacteria that is part
of most peoples skin flora. You might not even be able to see the wound
that it gets in through.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:54:45 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunisations, comes with
the one against diptheria and something else.

Dip. tet and polio.

Polio is one on it's own, used to be oral on a sugar lump. Wanders off
and finds the third was Whooping Cough.

He'd had tet injections in the past but had simply forgotten to renew
- not surprising as nowadays it covers you for something like ten
years, I think.

I get the feeling that ten years is the figure they pin on, just to be
safe, when they don't really know how long the protection lasts. It's
reasonably accepted these days that if you've had three boosters there is
no need to bother anymore.

Not sure when it was introduced as a routine childhood immunisations in
the UK but I'm pretty sure I got it as a child which would have been
early 60's...

Also, he's not the type that's inclined to fuss over health issues.

Neither am I but you can get caught...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 07-02-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article om,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
| On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:54:45 +0000, Sacha wrote:
|
| Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunisations, comes with
| the one against diptheria and something else.
|
| Dip. tet and polio.
|
| Polio is one on it's own, used to be oral on a sugar lump. Wanders off
| and finds the third was Whooping Cough.

Polio was by injection, when I were a lad.

| He'd had tet injections in the past but had simply forgotten to renew
| - not surprising as nowadays it covers you for something like ten
| years, I think.
|
| I get the feeling that ten years is the figure they pin on, just to be
| safe, when they don't really know how long the protection lasts. It's
| reasonably accepted these days that if you've had three boosters there is
| no need to bother anymore.

It was 3 years when I started with it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Feb 7, 11:10 am, "La Puce" wrote in response to Sacha:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.

Ths is very well, or perhaps not, but your husband got bitten by your
own dog and therefore didn't get infected by soil.

So, getting bitten by one's own dog is any less hazardous than being
bitten by any other? Tetanus can be transmitted via animal bites as
well as directly from the soil. Look it up!

But, he is a
nursery man, working with soil all the time. How truly bizarre to give
such a warning to gardeners who are, I very much suspect, up to date
with their jabs, I know I am - 4 years before the next one - and not
look closer to home?

Oh for goodness sake stop trying to score points by attempting a
sanctimonious jibe at what was a well-meaning warning brought on by an
accident that could befall us all. Remembering to get jabs is easily
forgotten by many and I wouldn't mind betting that most gardeners are
equally forgetful.

Stop trying it on, I can see the game you're trying to play. Don't
start that again Puce.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , The Reid
writes
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:53:19 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date!

mines out of date now, must get it fixed.

I have to admit, I had forgotten mine too. Haven't had one for many
years. Fancy forgetting that. Must do something about it.
--
June Hughes
Old 07-02-2007, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Feb, 17:58, "Dave Poole" wrote:

Oh for goodness sake stop trying to score points by attempting a
sanctimonious jibe at what was a well-meaning warning brought on by an
accident that could befall us all. Remembering to get jabs is easily
forgotten by many and I wouldn't mind betting that most gardeners are
equally forgetful.
Stop trying it on, I can see the game you're trying to play. Don't
start that again Puce.

Ok. I'm sorry. You're right. It wasn't entirely intended in a 'bad'
sense though, and I was surprised that an event like this brought on a
warning about tetanus. I hope we'll hear from you when jokes are on
the OP at my expenses. Especially regarding fleas (and ticks etc) ;o)

Old 07-02-2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or
delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our dogs
having a fight last Friday and got bitten on his left hand. He absolutely
refused to go to the doctor, doing his tough ex-Para 'thing' (!)
Consequently, on Sunday morning he was in so much pain and his hand so
swollen, with the pain travelling up his arm, that he had to go to our
local
hospital for a tetanus jab and has been put on hefty antibiotics. We're
going to the doctor this morning for a check up because while it has
improved, his hand is still very swollen and poisoned and he can't use it
at
all. On top of this, he has been in bed, feeling pretty poorly and
sleeping
a lot, since last Sunday. This is extremely unlike him! So, if you fall
into any 'at risk' category, please visit your doctor!

I had been getting these on a fairly regular basis, but the last time I went
to the Doc, he said he wouldn't give me any more as I was now immune!

Alan

Old 07-02-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On 7 Feb 2007 06:47:07 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

On 7 Feb, 13:59, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
Thats is just an infection, all be it a nasty one, not tetanus. Tetanus
causes muscle spasm hence the name "lock jaw".

Sure it wasn't - thank goodness (and me, locked jaw ... that would be
the day ;o))

But I got a jab there and then because the last one I had had I was 9
years old, after being bitten by a dog in Bridgewater, of all places.

You could have been bitten in a more painful place.

My eyes are now watering with the thought!

Alan

Old 07-02-2007, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Feb, 18:31, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
My eyes are now watering with the thought!

Dirty man.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I wasn't told I was immune exactly, but told not to bother with more
boosters unless I got an injury likely to cause tetanus.

Anyway, best wishes to Ray for a full recovery. Then he can stop swinging
the lead and get on with those posts and ropes :-))

Steve

Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 7/2/07 16:21, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:47:27 +0000, Sacha wrote:

No, thank goodness. I was on the look out for that myself.

When I got cellulitis I'd never heard of it before let alone seen it,
thats why I basicaly ignored the first, very mild, signs. I won't do that
again! If you hit it with antibiotics early on it's not a problem but let
it get hold for a 24 to 48hrs and it becomes serious to life threatening.

The scary thing is that is comes from a very common bacteria that is part
of most peoples skin flora. You might not even be able to see the wound
that it gets in through.

Well, the update is that having seen the doc, the doc rang a bacteriologist
who said Ray should be seen by a hospital. So we went to Torbay hospital at
4pm. It took 7 attempts to get a line in to give him antibiotics in liquid
form - absolutely not the young doctor's fault, though she was nearly in
tears - and finally a nurse did it and pumped it into him. Then they said
that given the nature of the infection and the length of time he's had it,
they wanted him to go to Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital where they have a
plastic surgery unit and that, apparently, deals with hand cases - something
to do with the minute scale of surgery required, if any. Net result is that
they were checking carefully for damage to the sheaths that cover the nerves
(?) in the fingers and if the absolute worst happened would have to operate
to drain the infection. However, they have kept him in overnight and having
kept the canula thingy in his arm will give him antibiotics overnight and if
need be, all day tomorrow.
The one thing that they were *very* clear about was that while tet jabs are
important, having one earlier would have made no difference in this
instance. It's the bacterial infection from the dog's teeth that is the
problem.
The truly weird thing is that he's actually feeling better than he has for
several days and that might be psychosomatic because he's agreed to do
something positive (!) or it might be a genuine result of the antibiotics
working fast.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-02-2007, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

On 7/2/07 21:26, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

snip

I had been getting these on a fairly regular basis, but the last time I
went to the Doc, he said he wouldn't give me any more as I was now immune!

I wasn't told I was immune exactly, but told not to bother with more
boosters unless I got an injury likely to cause tetanus.

Anyway, best wishes to Ray for a full recovery. Then he can stop swinging
the lead and get on with those posts and ropes :-))

I'd never thought of that! Must have shoved his hand in Oscar's mouth
deliberately. ;-)