Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Default OT Tetanus jabs

"Sacha" wrote in message

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab

lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or

delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our

dogs
having a fight last Friday and got bitten on his left hand.

Aaah the joys of dog ownership! I know it well. I find a foot
covered with a strong leather boot put between their chests with a
hefty sideways motion often works well. I learned long ago that hands
and dog's fangs don't make a good combo in this situation.

He absolutely
refused to go to the doctor, doing his tough ex-Para 'thing' (!)
Consequently, on Sunday morning he was in so much pain and his hand

so
swollen, with the pain travelling up his arm, that he had to go to

our local
hospital for a tetanus jab and has been put on hefty antibiotics.

We're
going to the doctor this morning for a check up because while it has
improved, his hand is still very swollen and poisoned and he can't

use it at
all. On top of this, he has been in bed, feeling pretty poorly and

sleeping
a lot, since last Sunday. This is extremely unlike him! So, if you

fall
into any 'at risk' category, please visit your doctor!

Poor man. I hope he's beginning to feel better Sacha.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

I got the red
tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two back, didn't

think
much of it at first but ended up in hospital for four days

This comment has made me curious. I had drummed into me from
childhood on, that a red stripe moving out from a skin puncture was
REALLY serious and not to be ignored and I'm sure you know that too.

What were the circumstances that led to you ignoring the warning?.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

On 7/2/07 23:56, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab

lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or

delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our

dogs
having a fight last Friday and got bitten on his left hand.

Aaah the joys of dog ownership! I know it well. I find a foot
covered with a strong leather boot put between their chests with a
hefty sideways motion often works well. I learned long ago that hands
and dog's fangs don't make a good combo in this situation.

It's damned Jack Russells and a wire haired Dachshund that's the problem!
One Jackie and Oscar the whd, are tussling it out for who's leader of the
pack - or who is second in the pack. Oscar is entire, the JRs aren't but it
seems to make no difference to the JRs in terms of sheer bloody mindedness.
Love them both as I do, I will never have two together again!
They *love* people, even if they bark like demons and mostly, they love each
other but occasionally these furious outbursts happen over the classic "who
goes first through the door?"!
snip

Poor man. I hope he's beginning to feel better Sacha.

Thanks so much. Slowly mending and I hope the overnight hospital stay is
going to do the trick.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-02-2007, 01:06 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 8/2/07 00:34, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

I got the red
tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two back, didn't

think
much of it at first but ended up in hospital for four days

This comment has made me curious. I had drummed into me from
childhood on, that a red stripe moving out from a skin puncture was
REALLY serious and not to be ignored and I'm sure you know that too.

What were the circumstances that led to you ignoring the warning?.

I'm guessing - and it really is just a guess - English climate and lack of
many *seriously* poisonous plants, insects etc.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"Sacha" wrote in message

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab

lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements

and/or
delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our

dogs
having a fight last Friday and got bitten on his left hand.

Aaah the joys of dog ownership! I know it well. I find a foot
covered with a strong leather boot put between their chests with a
hefty sideways motion often works well. I learned long ago that

hands
and dog's fangs don't make a good combo in this situation.

It's damned Jack Russells

Snap! I have 2 Jack Russells and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel .

I say it's the sublime to the rididulous - the sublime breed varies
given the circumstances - sometimes it's the JRs and sometimes the
King Chuck.

and a wire haired Dachshund that's the problem!
One Jackie and Oscar the whd, are tussling it out for who's leader

of the
pack - or who is second in the pack. Oscar is entire, the JRs

aren't but it
seems to make no difference to the JRs in terms of sheer bloody

mindedness.

I know exactly what you mean about JRs! In our case one of our JRs is
entire and the other isn't. My boy, (Bertrand Rusell Jack Russell -
aka Bertie) has been neutered and is a lovely wee man but he simply
won't let my husband's entire JR (just plain old Max - he's a thick
boofhead but a very good looking dog who has been called on to do his
duty in producing litters for neighbours) dominate him.

Sometimes Bertie just stands there and shakes with his head averted as
Max growls whilst guarding the food bowl or a human's feet or whatever
it is he's trying to be dominant about and sometimes Bertie will just
finally have enough and just go for him. But the problem is always
started by Max.

Love them both as I do, I will never have two together again!

I think that half the fun of JRs is having 2 together and we've not
really had any problems before till Max. But then we do live n a farm
and they go off hunting rabbits and things together and have a lovely
time. And we never really had a problem with them till the CKC
arrived. Max treats the CKC as being "his" bitch and Bertie is not
allowed to go near him. (But if the CKC starts rogering Bertie then
somehow Max sees that as being Bertie's fault and goes for Bertie).

They *love* people, even if they bark like demons and mostly, they

love each
other but occasionally these furious outbursts happen over the

classic "who
goes first through the door?"!

LOL. I can just picture it! The same thing happens here on a daily
basis. Like living in a 3 ring circus. But wouldn't life be quiet and
dull without the little brutes?

snip

Poor man. I hope he's beginning to feel better Sacha.

Thanks so much. Slowly mending and I hope the overnight hospital

stay is
going to do the trick.

I hope it does too. But there is also another dimension to this. I
always think an overnight stay in hospital is good for a man in any
circumstances. It knocks them off thier perch a bit and they stop
acting like Jack Russells for a short while (at least it's done so
with my husband who has recently retired and is still recovering from
the luxury of having 2,000 staff and thinks that I'll put up with his
attempts at managerial antics) ;-P

Old 08-02-2007, 02:00 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

I got the red
tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two back,

didn't
think
much of it at first but ended up in hospital for four days

This comment has made me curious. I had drummed into me from
childhood on, that a red stripe moving out from a skin puncture

was
REALLY serious and not to be ignored and I'm sure you know that

too.

What were the circumstances that led to you ignoring the warning?.

I'm guessing - and it really is just a guess - English climate and

lack of
many *seriously* poisonous plants, insects etc.

That could be so I guess, but I would have thought that the warnings
about how to identify the spread of an infection would be a universal
thing?????????

Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Sacha wrote:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or delving
into the soil need them.

Some do and some don't. :-)

I have been known to play with sharp implements, my fist tetanus was in
62 after nicking the artery in my thumb. The next one that I had was
about ten years ago when I severed/cut two tendons in a finger, the
nurse asked me when the last one was and saw me pause and gave me a
double booster :-(

In the mean time between 62 - 97 [stop reading now Mike] I have had one
finger in a band saw [deep cut] that I just taped up. Stuck the blade of
a boning knife threw the joint of one finger [just taped up]. Filleted
the palm of my hand ... yes, just taped up. Clipped a main vain in the
arm in the wrist area close to the artery, blood shot up over a foot.
All I did was tape it up sat on the back step with a hot cup of tea and
a pack of cigarettes. Stabbed myself in the stomach with a boning knife
..... just taped it up.

I seem to have more problems if I go to the hospital as they want to
give me all these free things, all I have used on myself is telfa pads
and tape. And yes I have been told that I should get things seen too, I
have a wife who is a nurse and has been preaching to me for over thirty
five years. :-)

I tend to heal well and fast with little scaring, probably this is due
to healthy food, on the other hand I might have just been plain lucky.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article om,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
| On 7 Feb 2007 04:16:43 -0800, La Puce wrote:
|
| You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my

whole
| life !!
|
| Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunistaions, comes with

the
| one against diptheria and something else.

It used not to, but I don't know if it was given routinely in the UK.
I got it, often, but that was in a far country and, besides, the
vaccine is dead.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Both the kids had it as part of their childhood jabs and for years I had it
while travelling and our local health centre has up posters advising
gardeners to keep up to date although they always seem to want to give you
another if you do have a mishap ("Just in case"!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

On 8/2/07 01:58, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

snip

Snap! I have 2 Jack Russells and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel .

I say it's the sublime to the rididulous - the sublime breed varies
given the circumstances - sometimes it's the JRs and sometimes the
King Chuck.

One of my daughters has a KC bitch - sweet little dog but she can certainly
stand her ground with 'the boys'!

[...]

Our JRs are called Russell & Bromley and they're litter brothers. Russell
is the biggest wuss in terms of overall timidity about things and people new
and strange but he's also the one that starts most, if not all, of the
fights. The only time Oscar (the dachie) growls at the others is if they
threaten his food and that isn't often an option as he could easily
substitute for a hoover at mealtimes!

Love them both as I do, I will never have two together again!

I think that half the fun of JRs is having 2 together and we've not
really had any problems before till Max. But then we do live n a farm
and they go off hunting rabbits and things together and have a lovely
time. And we never really had a problem with them till the CKC
arrived. Max treats the CKC as being "his" bitch and Bertie is not
allowed to go near him. (But if the CKC starts rogering Bertie then
somehow Max sees that as being Bertie's fault and goes for Bertie).

All this sounds very familiar, too. Our two go rabbiting together and
always make me think of small boys who have a tear in their shorts and their
socks falling down and their shirt collars all over the place! They're very
popular here if they catch a rabbit or three, because rabbits and young
plants are not a good combination.
snip
Thanks so much. Slowly mending and I hope the overnight hospital
stay is
going to do the trick.

I hope it does too. But there is also another dimension to this. I
always think an overnight stay in hospital is good for a man in any
circumstances. It knocks them off thier perch a bit and they stop
acting like Jack Russells for a short while (at least it's done so
with my husband who has recently retired and is still recovering from
the luxury of having 2,000 staff and thinks that I'll put up with his
attempts at managerial antics) ;-P

Oh that isn't Ray. He's very quiet and unassuming in his way but at the
same time has quite a commanding presence. It's hard to explain but his
perch is secure. ;-)

Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 8/2/07 02:00, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:
snip

I'm guessing - and it really is just a guess - English climate and

lack of
many *seriously* poisonous plants, insects etc.

That could be so I guess, but I would have thought that the warnings
about how to identify the spread of an infection would be a universal
thing?????????

It should be, I agree. I don't think we make quite so much of it here, no.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

On 8/2/07 07:37, in article %qAyh.913038$R63.772850@pd7urf1no, "Robert
Goodrick" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or delving
into the soil need them.

Some do and some don't. :-)

I have been known to play with sharp implements, my fist tetanus was in
62 after nicking the artery in my thumb. The next one that I had was
about ten years ago when I severed/cut two tendons in a finger, the
nurse asked me when the last one was and saw me pause and gave me a
double booster :-(

snip of swoon making stuff

Bit of everything I'd say and perhaps you have a really good immune system?
Certainly your catalogue of injuries seems to indicate it's either that or a
guardian angel on serious overtime! ;-)
But my husband, while otherwise very fit and healthy because he spends so
much time working outdoors and always has, is in his 70s and has Type 2
diabetes, so the hospitals made it clear to us that these are reasons to
take this situation seriously. The other thing is that animal bites,
including those from humans (!), are among the worst things you can get
because of all the bacteria in the mouth. The animals you deal with are in
no position to fight back..... ;-)
I did all the hot water and sloshing Dettol stuff around for Ray but because
the dog's tooth caught the bone, I think the infection was probably already
in there within seconds.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
The truly weird thing is that he's actually feeling better than he
has for several days and that might be psychosomatic because he's
agreed to do something positive (!) or it might be a genuine result
of the antibiotics working fast.

Heavy duty antibiotics straight into the system DO work quickly - as I found
when I had bacterial meningitis 25 years ago.

pk

Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 8/2/07 07:37, in article %qAyh.913038$R63.772850@pd7urf1no, "Robert
Goodrick" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Snip

So have you got much snow there this morning Sacha? Only rain here, and a
slight sunny interval at the mo, but it's not going to last.

Steve

Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:34:32 +1100, Farm1 wrote:

I got the red tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two
back, didn't think much of it at first but ended up in hospital for
four days

This comment has made me curious. I had drummed into me from
childhood on, that a red stripe moving out from a skin puncture was
REALLY serious and not to be ignored

The tender faint red lines where about 6" long at the top of my leg no
where near any skin punctures. Apart from the tenderness they looked more
like a broad gentle scratch. They also faded within my normal "if it
doesn't show signs of improvement in 24hrs I'll start to worry" window.
I'd simply not come across or heard about this inflamation of the lymph
system before and what it meant in terms if infection elsewhere.

I'm well aware of infection actually at wound sites and will open up
infected wounds to remove any puss (even if not visible), clean, and make
sure there is good flow of blood.

and I'm sure you know that too.

I do now!

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 08-02-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

On 8/2/07 09:33, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

. uk...
Goodrick" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Snip

So have you got much snow there this morning Sacha? Only rain here, and a
slight sunny interval at the mo, but it's not going to last.

Not a flake here, Steve, though I gather there's quite a bit on the moor.
Some roads are icy, others totally clear - usual unpredictable Devon, I'm
afraid!