Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Tetanus jabs

"Sacha" wrote
snip
The truly weird thing is that he's actually feeling better than he has
for several days and that might be psychosomatic because he's agreed
to do something positive (!) or it might be a genuine result of the
antibiotics working fast.

Good grief, Sacha, what a scare! I do hope your hubby is back to
fighting fit again as soon as possible.

--
Sue

Old 08-02-2007, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/2/07 10:26, in article
ws.net, "Sue"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
snip
The truly weird thing is that he's actually feeling better than he has
for several days and that might be psychosomatic because he's agreed
to do something positive (!) or it might be a genuine result of the
antibiotics working fast.

Good grief, Sacha, what a scare! I do hope your hubby is back to
fighting fit again as soon as possible.

He's got to spend another night in hospital but that's just because they can
get the antibiotics to work faster that way. He's actually feeling really a
great deal better in himself. We have the family network system set up so
that I can go to my grand daughter's christening and he will be looked after
when he gets out. At the moment, I wish I could spread myself a bit further!
I cannot praise the treatment he's had highly enough. Yes, there was a fair
bit of waiting around for one thing or another to happen but I imagine a lot
of that is down to paperwork. But the actual care and attention was superb.
Thank you all so much for the kind wishes and the lovely emails we've had.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-02-2007, 11:21 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

I got the red
tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two back,

didn't
think
much of it at first but ended up in hospital for four days

This comment has made me curious. I had drummed into me from
childhood on, that a red stripe moving out from a skin puncture

was
REALLY serious and not to be ignored and I'm sure you know that

too.

What were the circumstances that led to you ignoring the warning?.

I'm guessing - and it really is just a guess - English climate and

lack of
many *seriously* poisonous plants, insects etc.

That could be so I guess, but I would have thought that the warnings
about how to identify the spread of an infection would be a universal
thing?????????

I would have no idea how to identify an infection!

Alan

Old 08-02-2007, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 10:38:19 +0000, Sacha wrote:

He's got to spend another night in hospital but that's just because
they can get the antibiotics to work faster that way.

Not surprised. First off they'll want to be sure that they are working
then secondly they will reduce the dose and then make sure they are still
working.

He's actually feeling really a great deal better in himself.

When I was in I felt fine. Did an awful lot of reading, the worst bit was
the antibiotic induced trots and severe pain in the leg when I *had* to
go to the loo. I was instructed to keep it raised to let the muck/fluid
drain out so of course when lowered if filled back up with blood and I
got pins and needles like you wouldn't believe.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 7 Feb, 10:53, Sacha wrote:
Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or

delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our dogs
having a fight last Friday

Ths is very well, or perhaps not, but your husband got bitten by your
own dog and therefore didn't get infected by soil. But, he is a
nursery man, working with soil all the time. How truly bizarre to give
such a warning to gardeners who are, I very much suspect, up to date
with their jabs, I know I am - 4 years before the next one - and not
look closer to home?!

it all depends on whether or not Ray injured himself whilst working with
soil, or if if he had open sores.

dog bites are relevant to this scenario.

just because he works with soil does not mean he is at risk. it would
depend upon inury or prior injury whilst gardening.

it is not bizarre to give the warning. as a gardener (albeit a novice, and
therefore more prone to injury!) I have not had a tetanus since leaving
school..... I left school just before GCSEs were brought in.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 7, 5:58 pm, "Dave Poole" wrote:
On Feb 7, 11:10 am, "La Puce" wrote in response to Sacha:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.

Ths is very well, or perhaps not, but your husband got bitten by your
own dog and therefore didn't get infected by soil.

So, getting bitten by one's own dog is any less hazardous than being
bitten by any other? Tetanus can be transmitted via animal bites as
well as directly from the soil. Look it up!

But, he is a
nursery man, working with soil all the time. How truly bizarre to give
such a warning to gardeners who are, I very much suspect, up to date
with their jabs, I know I am - 4 years before the next one - and not
look closer to home?

Oh for goodness sake stop trying to score points by attempting a
sanctimonious jibe at what was a well-meaning warning brought on by an
accident that could befall us all. Remembering to get jabs is easily
forgotten by many and I wouldn't mind betting that most gardeners are
equally forgetful.

Stop trying it on, I can see the game you're trying to play. Don't
start that again Puce.

i thought it was just me who had a problem with her she went mad when
i mentioned her diesel bus and called me all sorts of names. everyone
by now knows exactly what she is up to and now that she has been
sussed by others she will move on trolls as usually do.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:54 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:

I would have no idea how to identify an infection!

Whats that?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:40 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

nurses are very often much better at inserting cannula than young
housepersons! Seven attempts is obscene - she should have given up and
passed it to a nurse after her first and most certainly her second failed
attempt.

4pm. It took 7 attempts to get a line in to give him antibiotics in
liquid
form - absolutely not the young doctor's fault, though she was nearly in
tears - and finally a nurse did it and pumped it into him.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:43 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

classic signs are - redness, swelling, pain and hot to the touch.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

After serving in the Royal Navy until 40, when I left a registered with a GP
was told by the nurse that I would have had enough tetanus injections to
last a lifetime.
If I remember correctly, and it is 15 years ago, there was a course of three
injections initially and then a booster every so often.

Alan as well!
"
I had been getting these on a fairly regular basis, but the last time I
went to the Doc, he said he wouldn't give me any more as I was now immune!

Alan

Old 09-02-2007, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Feb, 21:32, "Space" wrote:

it all depends on whether or not Ray injured himself whilst working with
soil, or if if he had open sores.
dog bites are relevant to this scenario.
just because he works with soil does not mean he is at risk. it would
depend upon inury or prior injury whilst gardening.

Hello Space. Sure - it's just that I thought it was funny, that's all.
I cannot work anywhere without proving I've got my jabs, my steel toe
boots, my criminal record check when with kids, etc. The chap's
holding a plant nurserie and didn't have a tetanus jab - it's just
strange. I was talking about this with my friend who's a tree surgeon,
even he has checks when he's being monitored when taking on
youngsters. I think it's best if I don't give my opinion - or best not
give my opinion when 'some' people are invovled. But I want to thank
you for a previous post you sent once saying you quite liked my posts.
That was pretty cool ;o)

Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 9, 11:01 am, "La Puce" wrote:
On 8 Feb, 21:32, "Space" wrote:

[...]

give it up whats wrong with you all you do is stir and still you have
to have a dig so keep your opinions to yourself nobody can trust them
and therefore nobody is interested in them

Old 09-02-2007, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Feb, 12:27, Martin wrote:
Have you been getting private e-mails from the Minister too?

Oh, don't. But I suspect I won't be getting a xmas card ;o)

Old 09-02-2007, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Feb, 12:50, Martin wrote:
On 9 Feb 2007 04:37:05 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:
Midsomer Murders crimes are easier to solve.

STOP IT will you?!? It's scary enough ... There was this chap who went
to the police recently claiming that a bloke had stolen his sword.
When the police took his statement and asked where did this took
place, the chap said 'on the internet'.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Feb, 14:27, Martin wrote:
True?

Off course! (But I won't say I never lie - just remember what happened
last time I did ...).

What about all the ones who have their identity stolen?
Do you know who you really are Puce?

Ho yes. What you are is what you have been; what you will be is what
you do now.