Old 09-02-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Tetanus jabs

"Space" typed

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 7 Feb, 10:53, Sacha wrote:
Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or

delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our dogs
having a fight last Friday

Ths is very well, or perhaps not, but your husband got bitten by your
own dog and therefore didn't get infected by soil. But, he is a
nursery man, working with soil all the time. How truly bizarre to give
such a warning to gardeners who are, I very much suspect, up to date
with their jabs, I know I am - 4 years before the next one - and not
look closer to home?!

it all depends on whether or not Ray injured himself whilst working with
soil, or if if he had open sores.

dog bites are relevant to this scenario.

just because he works with soil does not mean he is at risk. it would
depend upon inury or prior injury whilst gardening.

it is not bizarre to give the warning. as a gardener (albeit a novice, and
therefore more prone to injury!) I have not had a tetanus since leaving
school..... I left school just before GCSEs were brought in.

You are probably OK. (I'm old enough to have done O Levels...)

It is thought that 5 injections of Tetanus Toxoid gives lifelong
immunity. A child born and raised in the UK would normaly have acourse
of 3 doses as an infant (currently 2,3 and 4 months, combined with
polio[1], diphtheria and whooping cough) one at school entry and one at
school leaving. These 5 doses should be sufficient.

Tetanus toxoid is now combined with a diphtheria vaccine and this is
used for boosters. I tried to get a booster for foregin travel last
year, but the surgery did not obtain the vaccine on time.

Many people who develop tetanus cannot remember any significant injury
and have no scars. It is thought that some have had seemingly trivial
encounters wih rose thorns and the like.

An attack of tetanus gives no useful immunity against the disease and
victims should be immunised on recovery.

I have read reports of attacks of tetanus despite full immunisation, so
the protectin is not quite absolutely perfect.

[1] The oral and injected polio vaccines are completely separate
entities, the oral being live and the injected dead.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc
bof bof is offline

In message , Sacha
writes
Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date!

I got bitten by a dog a while back and went to hospital for a tetanus
jab, they said they didn't bother giving them these days.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old 09-02-2007, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" typed

I would have no idea how to identify an infection!

Oh yes you would!

Infected wounds HURT, SWELL, GO RED & HOT and the affected part is
close to USELESS.

I'm sure that lot would make you seek help (you might not know it's an
infection but you would know something is WRONG!)

or are you REALLY STUPID?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"bof" wrote in message
In message , Sacha
writes
Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date!

I got bitten by a dog a while back and went to hospital for a tetanus jab,
they said they didn't bother giving them these days.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Yes that figures. I asked the Doc about tetanus injections and he said the
same. Perhaps policy varies from place to place?

Old 09-02-2007, 07:40 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

"Robert Goodrick" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:

I would have no idea how to identify an infection!

Whats that?

I've no idea!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" typed

I would have no idea how to identify an infection!

Oh yes you would!

Infected wounds HURT, SWELL, GO RED & HOT and the affected part is
close to USELESS.

I'm sure that lot would make you seek help (you might not know it's an
infection but you would know something is WRONG!)

or are you REALLY STUPID?

Oh dear, you have guessed correctly!

Alan

Old 09-02-2007, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin typed

Yes that figures. I asked the Doc about tetanus injections and he said the
same. Perhaps policy varies from place to place?

I think the guidelines issued to doctors apply throughout the UK.

Perhaps they just don't give a toss, maybe appearances aren't
deceptive after
all?

They might give a toss, though some vaccine supplies are difficult.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Feb 9, 5:33 pm, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:
"Alan Holmes" typed

I would have no idea how to identify an infection!

Oh yes you would!
Infected wounds HURT, SWELL, GO RED & HOT and the affected part is
close to USELESS.

Oh here we go, net-shouting .... I've a strange feeling of deja-vu

I'm sure that lot would make you seek help (you might not know it's an
infection but you would know something is WRONG!)
or are you REALLY STUPID?

Hmm. I think you'd better go and cool-off lady, your tone is
unnecessarily offensive and arrogant. Stop trying to stir it.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Helen Deborah Vecht writes:
| Martin typed
|
| Yes that figures. I asked the Doc about tetanus injections and
| he said the same. Perhaps policy varies from place to place?
|
| I think the guidelines issued to doctors apply throughout the UK.
|
| Perhaps they just don't give a toss, maybe appearances aren't
| deceptive after all?
|
| They might give a toss, though some vaccine supplies are difficult.

That is implausible in this case. It is more likely that they don't
have a clue on what the best strategy is.

Even those of us who can analyse risks can't do so without reliable
data, and it is vanishingly unlikely that there is much of that in
this case. In any case, very, very few such policies are based on
a proper analysis of proper information - though the most serious
mistaken policies will eventually get changed when it is impossible
to ignore that they are harmful any longer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" typed

wrote:
"Alan Holmes" typed

I would have no idea how to identify an infection!

Oh yes you would!
Infected wounds HURT, SWELL, GO RED & HOT and the affected part is
close to USELESS.

Oh here we go, net-shouting .... I've a strange feeling of deja-vu

I'm sure that lot would make you seek help (you might not know it's an
infection but you would know something is WRONG!)
or are you REALLY STUPID?

Hmm. I think you'd better go and cool-off lady, your tone is
unnecessarily offensive and arrogant. Stop trying to stir it.

Most of my posts have been informative and inoffensive.

I put the cardinal features of infection in upper case to highlight
them, not to shout.

When someone plays the fool, my patience can wear a bit thin, but the
poster so playing seems to have taken this with better humour than some
people...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
"Alan Holmes" typed

I would have no idea how to identify an infection!

Oh yes you would!

Infected wounds HURT, SWELL, GO RED & HOT and the affected part is
close to USELESS.

I'm sure that lot would make you seek help (you might not know it's an
infection but you would know something is WRONG!)

or are you REALLY STUPID?

Alan is an old man, Helen. No. He isn't stupid but give him a chance,
please.
--
June Hughes
Old 09-02-2007, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Helen Deborah Vecht writes:
| Martin typed
|
| Yes that figures. I asked the Doc about tetanus injections and
| he said the same. Perhaps policy varies from place to place?
|
| I think the guidelines issued to doctors apply throughout the UK.
|
| Perhaps they just don't give a toss, maybe appearances aren't
| deceptive after all?
|
| They might give a toss, though some vaccine supplies are difficult.

That is implausible in this case. It is more likely that they don't
have a clue on what the best strategy is.

Even those of us who can analyse risks can't do so without reliable
data, and it is vanishingly unlikely that there is much of that in
this case. In any case, very, very few such policies are based on
a proper analysis of proper information - though the most serious
mistaken policies will eventually get changed when it is impossible
to ignore that they are harmful any longer.

Um. TB worries me more than tetanus.
--
June Hughes
Old 09-02-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Don't forget that GP's have now opted out of after surgery hours and the
like.
Do they really care anymore?

Old 09-02-2007, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

That sounds about right - was the hospital in Zambia or UK?
Alan
" My brother was bitten by a suspected rabid dog in Zambia, he didn't catch
rabies, but did catch malaria after being bitten by mosquitoes whilst in
hospital.
--

Martin

Old 09-02-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

"Alan McKenzie" wrote in message
classic signs are - redness, swelling, pain and hot to the touch.

And the presence of pus. Although I suspect if there is evidence of
that, it is generally going to quickly find it's way out by bursting
forth.

Charming subject this, but I guess a familiar scenario for gardeners.