Old 12-02-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Default OT Tetanus jabs

In article , Sacha
writes

Oscar is entire, the JRs aren't but it
seems to make no difference to the JRs in terms of sheer bloody mindedness.
Love them both as I do, I will never have two together again!

People who don't own dogs often make the assumption that smaller dogs
are less hassle but generally the bigger dogs don't have the 'Terrier'
mentality of taking and maintaining a dislike for another dog They can
be feisty little beggars even Yorkshire terriers!
Bigger dogs don't seem to be so keen to start a fight nor to take
umbrage but I hope they settle down for your sake Sacha!

Best wishes to Ray for a continued improvement, antibiotics can often
make you feel lousy and trips to the hospital are often more infectious
than the primary disease

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-02-2007, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

On 12/2/07 11:49, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Oscar is entire, the JRs aren't but it
seems to make no difference to the JRs in terms of sheer bloody mindedness.
Love them both as I do, I will never have two together again!

People who don't own dogs often make the assumption that smaller dogs
are less hassle but generally the bigger dogs don't have the 'Terrier'
mentality of taking and maintaining a dislike for another dog They can
be feisty little beggars even Yorkshire terriers!
Bigger dogs don't seem to be so keen to start a fight nor to take
umbrage but I hope they settle down for your sake Sacha!

So do I because they're absolute demons when they get the mood on them! It
seems that the one who is definitely bottom of the pack is always ready to
start a fight when the whim takes him, while Oscar and Bromley are
reasonably peaceable. But no, small does not mean easier! My son's
Alsatian is huge and is the biggest wuss known to man. If you talk even
slightly sternly to him, he flees to his bed and if you bend down to tickle
his tummy while he's lying down he's known for what we politely call his
'stress incontinence'. ;-)
As one dachie breeder said to me, they're not small dogs, they're big dogs
with short legs!

Best wishes to Ray for a continued improvement, antibiotics can often
make you feel lousy and trips to the hospital are often more infectious
than the primary disease

Thank you, Janet. His check up this am went well and they don't want to see
him again unless something untowards happens. He still has to do the hand
exercises, get a final check with his GP and stay away from work for a week.
At lest I know now that retirement will never, as I thought, figure in Ray's
plans. He's deathly bored with no work to do! His greeting on my return
home last night of "It's so good to have you home" was just slightly tinted
by the remark a few seconds later of "It's really boring here on my own"!!
;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-02-2007, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Sacha wrote:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or
delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our dogs
having a fight last Friday and got bitten on his left hand. He absolutely
refused to go to the doctor, doing his tough ex-Para 'thing' (!)
Consequently, on Sunday morning he was in so much pain and his hand so
swollen, with the pain travelling up his arm, that he had to go to our
local
hospital for a tetanus jab and has been put on hefty antibiotics. We're
going to the doctor this morning for a check up because while it has
improved, his hand is still very swollen and poisoned and he can't use it
at
all. On top of this, he has been in bed, feeling pretty poorly and
sleeping
a lot, since last Sunday. This is extremely unlike him! So, if you fall
into any 'at risk' category, please visit your doctor!

I was told by our GP that unless the wound requires hospital treatment they
won't give you a tetanus booster anymore. Might well be their little get
our clause, since they may have judged that in this case he obviously
needed hospital treatment.

I was told something like it's now generally considered to be 5 for life,
i.e. 5 jabs and you're protected for life.

Duncan
Old 12-02-2007, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/2/07 15:58, in article , "D Russell"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

No, at the point he was given his tet jab they didn't know he'd have to go
to hospital, so I don't think it was that. I think it's more likely that he
not only couldn't remember when he last had one but couldn't remember how
many he's had. I asked him the latter question this morning and he thinks
he had one when he did his National Service but otherwise can't remember
having any others!

I was told something like it's now generally considered to be 5 for life,
i.e. 5 jabs and you're protected for life.

Duncan

I thought it was 3 but there might be variations on a theme.