Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Default OT Tetanus jabs

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our dogs
having a fight last Friday and got bitten on his left hand. He absolutely
refused to go to the doctor, doing his tough ex-Para 'thing' (!)
Consequently, on Sunday morning he was in so much pain and his hand so
swollen, with the pain travelling up his arm, that he had to go to our local
hospital for a tetanus jab and has been put on hefty antibiotics. We're
going to the doctor this morning for a check up because while it has
improved, his hand is still very swollen and poisoned and he can't use it at
all. On top of this, he has been in bed, feeling pretty poorly and sleeping
a lot, since last Sunday. This is extremely unlike him! So, if you fall
into any 'at risk' category, please visit your doctor!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-02-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:53:19 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date!

mines out of date now, must get it fixed.
--
Mike Reid
Los Canarios "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/canaries.htm"
Old 07-02-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

wrote:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date!

mines out of date now, must get it fixed.

I'll chalk up one success!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Feb, 10:53, Sacha wrote:
Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our dogs
having a fight last Friday

Ths is very well, or perhaps not, but your husband got bitten by your
own dog and therefore didn't get infected by soil. But, he is a
nursery man, working with soil all the time. How truly bizarre to give
such a warning to gardeners who are, I very much suspect, up to date
with their jabs, I know I am - 4 years before the next one - and not
look closer to home?!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Feb, 11:25, Martin wrote:
Are you covered for rabies, too?

GGGGggggggggggggrrrrrrrr.... watch out you! My dogs wouldn't dare
bitting me ;o)

Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 7 Feb, 10:53, Sacha wrote:
Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or
delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our dogs
having a fight last Friday

Ths is very well, or perhaps not, but your husband got bitten by your
own dog and therefore didn't get infected by soil. But, he is a
nursery man, working with soil all the time. How truly bizarre to give
such a warning to gardeners who are, I very much suspect, up to date
with their jabs, I know I am - 4 years before the next one - and not
look closer to home?!

You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole life
!!
I worked on farms, with horses, pigs, various crops etc and never thought
about it.
Do you think it's essential for home gardeners /
Jenny

Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:

| You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole life
| !!
| I worked on farms, with horses, pigs, various crops etc and never thought
| about it.
| Do you think it's essential for home gardeners /

The risk of getting tetanus is very low, but the risk of dying if you
get it is very high. The risk of the innoculation is very low, unlike
for some others.

Any soil that has had domestic animals on it in the past century, or
has had manure from such animals put on it during that period, may
contain viable tetanus spores. To a first approximation, that means
everywhere in the UK, but some soils will contain more spores than
others.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Feb, 12:07, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"JennyC" writes:
| You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole life
| !!
| I worked on farms, with horses, pigs, various crops etc and never thought
| about it.
| Do you think it's essential for home gardeners /

Absolutely. A cut and an infection would really make you sick. I
realised how serious this was when about 13 years ago, I was moving
some planks and to re-equilibrate myself I lean on a plank. It had a
rusty nail on it and it went straight into my hand. I cleaned it as
best I could - but 3 days later I was so sick I had to go to emergency
with a hand the size of an orange. I got a told off, some penicilin, a
tetanus jab and then promised myself to keep onto it because I was
told it could have been really serious.

The risk of getting tetanus is very low, but the risk of dying if you
get it is very high. The risk of the innoculation is very low, unlike
for some others.
Any soil that has had domestic animals on it in the past century, or
has had manure from such animals put on it during that period, may
contain viable tetanus spores. To a first approximation, that means
everywhere in the UK, but some soils will contain more spores than
others.

I have been asked many time prior to working with groups in gardens,
or the last job I had at a garden centre if I had had a jab. It is now
asked by many organisation. It's has important as steel toe boots
are )

Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:53:19 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Consequently, on Sunday morning he was in so much pain and his hand so
swollen, with the pain travelling up his arm, that he had to go to our
local hospital for a tetanus jab and has been put on hefty antibiotics.

Oh that sounds more like cellulitis, particularly the travelling up the
arm bit. Any broad red lines below the skin surface?

If it is cellulitis it needs to be taken very seriously. I got the red
tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two back, didn't think
much of it at first but ended up in hospital for four days being given
antibiotic injections by the gramme (not 1/4 or 1/2 gramme as is the
normal dose) every four hours. Off work for four weeks...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 07-02-2007, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:25:25 +0100, Martin wrote:

Are you covered for rabies, too?

Fortunately rabies is not in this country.

If you think the culling of 159,000 commercial turkeys is a bit drastic
you wait to see what they will probably do when rabies does get here.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/f...e_outbreak.htm

OK it's old but I doubt that the underlying plan, mentioned at the end,
has changed much.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 07-02-2007, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Feb 2007 04:16:43 -0800, La Puce wrote:

You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole
life !!

Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunistaions, comes with the
one against diptheria and something else.

I was so sick I had to go to emergency with a hand the size of an
orange.

Thats is just an infection, all be it a nasty one, not tetanus. Tetanus
causes muscle spasm hence the name "lock jaw".

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 07-02-2007, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article om,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
| On 7 Feb 2007 04:16:43 -0800, La Puce wrote:
|
| You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole
| life !!
|
| Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunistaions, comes with the
| one against diptheria and something else.

It used not to, but I don't know if it was given routinely in the UK.
I got it, often, but that was in a far country and, besides, the
vaccine is dead.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Feb, 13:59, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
Thats is just an infection, all be it a nasty one, not tetanus. Tetanus
causes muscle spasm hence the name "lock jaw".

Sure it wasn't - thank goodness (and me, locked jaw ... that would be
the day ;o))

But I got a jab there and then because the last one I had had I was 9
years old, after being bitten by a dog in Bridgewater, of all places.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 7/2/07 12:35, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:53:19 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Consequently, on Sunday morning he was in so much pain and his hand so
swollen, with the pain travelling up his arm, that he had to go to our
local hospital for a tetanus jab and has been put on hefty antibiotics.

Oh that sounds more like cellulitis, particularly the travelling up the
arm bit. Any broad red lines below the skin surface?

No, thank goodness. I was on the look out for that myself. The hand has
been very red and swollen and in fact, having seen the doc this morning, the
doc is ringing a bacteriologist for info on another type of antibiotic to
take in addition to he's already taking. Reassuringly, he did say that the
hospital had done the right thing but that he would have hoped to see much
less swelling in the hand. This makes me glad that I put my foot down with
a firm hand and made him see the doc today.

If it is cellulitis it needs to be taken very seriously. I got the red
tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two back, didn't think
much of it at first but ended up in hospital for four days being given
antibiotic injections by the gramme (not 1/4 or 1/2 gramme as is the
normal dose) every four hours. Off work for four weeks...

Some years ago a friend of mine got septicaemia and the doctors reckoned he
was about two hours away from death by the time he got to hospital. They
have no idea what caused it but think it might have been a scratch from a
rose thorn.