Old 07-02-2007, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Totally OT, help requested

My apologies for the OTness, but I hope I'm a familiar enough urgler for
people to judge that this isn't spam. I may possibly send this to one,
and only one, other group. If you feel it's abusing the newsgroup, I can
only apologise again, and plead that my intentions are honourable.

My son at Durham University needs some data for his undergraduate
dissertation, and has posted a short IQ test at the following site:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.a.lyle/index.php

He'd be very grateful to any volunteer guinea pigs kind-hearted enough
to take part. It's anonymous, of course; but anybody who cares to supply
an email address goes into a draw for a prize of £20!

--
Mike.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
.. .
My apologies for the OTness, but I hope I'm a familiar enough urgler for
people to judge that this isn't spam. I may possibly send this to one,
and only one, other group. If you feel it's abusing the newsgroup, I can
only apologise again, and plead that my intentions are honourable.

My son at Durham University needs some data for his undergraduate
dissertation, and has posted a short IQ test at the following site:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.a.lyle/index.php

He'd be very grateful to any volunteer guinea pigs kind-hearted enough
to take part. It's anonymous, of course; but anybody who cares to supply
an email address goes into a draw for a prize of £20!

--
Mike.

Yes we know you sufficiently to assist, well I am anyway:-), but can we know
what it is about before we 'plunge in' please.

My this takes me back!! I am at present doing some research on some lectures
I have been asked to provide details on and present sometime in the future
:-))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Feb, 12:33, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
My son at Durham University needs some data for his undergraduate
dissertation, and has posted a short IQ test at the following site:http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.a.lyle/index.php

Fantastic! Mind ... there's a typo on excercise 48 )

Old 07-02-2007, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
My apologies for the OTness, but I hope I'm a familiar enough urgler for
people to judge that this isn't spam. I may possibly send this to one,
and only one, other group. If you feel it's abusing the newsgroup, I can
only apologise again, and plead that my intentions are honourable.

My son at Durham University needs some data for his undergraduate
dissertation, and has posted a short IQ test at the following site:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.a.lyle/index.php

He'd be very grateful to any volunteer guinea pigs kind-hearted enough
to take part. It's anonymous, of course; but anybody who cares to supply
an email address goes into a draw for a prize of £20!

Great stuff. Bas and I have both done it. No test results yet.
--
June Hughes
Old 07-02-2007, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Feb, 14:06, Martin wrote:
Did you pass the test? )

Well, it reminded me of the 11+. I love this kind of quiz )

I await my GBP 20 random prize.

Shame on you - the poor lad is a student!! I'll give him back his 20
quids. Which reminds me that I once gave back the money to a school
quiz night - I felt so bad for them - and I removed my son from the
school shortly after g

Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
.. .
My apologies for the OTness, but I hope I'm a familiar enough urgler
for people to judge that this isn't spam.

[...]

Yes we know you sufficiently to assist, well I am anyway:-), but can
we know what it is about before we 'plunge in' please.

[...]

That's very kind: one of the problems the youngsters have with this kind
of thing is getting enough independent participants. But I'm afraid
that, as I'm one of the guinea pigs, it might tend to invalidate the
experiment if I knew what it was about!* My guess is probably much the
same as yours: I imagine he's hoping to compare people's results on one
kind of test with those on another, and see if there's any difference
which can be correlated with other known factors. The task may be to
compare two differing schools of thought; but I really have no idea.

What I _do_ know is that I be not near so good at these 'ere tests nor I
were fifty year ago!

To Martin: yes, I spotted a typo, too; but I can't remember where it
was.

*I volunteered, for money, as a guinea pig at Birkbeck once. We were
subjected by a succession of graduate students to a battery of tests in
ascending order of weirdness, and it wasn't till afterwards that we
realised we'd been tested not on the activities themselves, but on our
reactions to being set impossible tasks! At least this one isn't like
that.

--
Mike.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Feb, 21:16, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
That's very kind: one of the problems the youngsters have with this kind
of thing is getting enough independent participants. But I'm afraid
that, as I'm one of the guinea pigs, it might tend to invalidate the
experiment if I knew what it was about!* My guess is probably much the
same as yours: I imagine he's hoping to compare people's results on one
kind of test with those on another, and see if there's any difference
which can be correlated with other known factors. The task may be to
compare two differing schools of thought; but I really have no idea.

My son did a similar exercise a few months ago with questionnaire
addressed to possible employers and if/why/when/ etc. they would
employ a 16 years old. He does economic and loves it - I had to
however spend a whole evening stuffing envelopes and sending it to
suppliers, friends and whoever crossed my mind. What we wouldn't do
for our lil' ones.

To Martin: yes, I spotted a typo, too; but I can't remember where it
was.

I spotted the mistake on exercise 48, thankyouverymuch. It reads 'on
the of the on the'. Poor lad ;o)

Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
.. .
My apologies for the OTness, but I hope I'm a familiar enough urgler for
people to judge that this isn't spam. I may possibly send this to one,
and only one, other group. If you feel it's abusing the newsgroup, I can
only apologise again, and plead that my intentions are honourable.

My son at Durham University needs some data for his undergraduate
dissertation, and has posted a short IQ test at the following site:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.a.lyle/index.php

He'd be very grateful to any volunteer guinea pigs kind-hearted enough
to take part. It's anonymous, of course; but anybody who cares to supply
an email address goes into a draw for a prize of £20!

But, as I don't have a educational qualification which is listed, I can't
contribute!

Bloody stupid!

--
Mike.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote:

He'd be very grateful to any volunteer guinea pigs kind-hearted enough
to take part.

If colonials are allowed, I need a translation, since my knowledge of
English is incomplete:

GCSE
A-Level

??

There seems not to be a box for "The dean said to go away and never darken
these hallowed halls again," sometimes known here as "dean's _other_ list.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gary Woods wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote:

He'd be very grateful to any volunteer guinea pigs kind-hearted
enough to take part.

If colonials are allowed, I need a translation, since my knowledge of
English is incomplete:

GCSE
A-Level

??

"Finished HS with scores good enough for university" is near enough for
government work.

There seems not to be a box for "The dean said to go away and never
darken these hallowed halls again," sometimes known here as "dean's
_other_ list.

Well, I'm a colonial too, you know! We're taking over the world: the
Brits are getting used to it, though.

I don't know, for you and Alan, why the list of qualifications is so
limited. It looks like an oversight not to have added an "Other" box.
I'll mention it to him in case it's relevant to his conclusions.

Sorry, Puce: I knew _somebody_ had spotted the typo!

--
Mike.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mike Lyle writes

*I volunteered, for money, as a guinea pig at Birkbeck once. We were
subjected by a succession of graduate students to a battery of tests in
ascending order of weirdness, and it wasn't till afterwards that we
realised we'd been tested not on the activities themselves, but on our
reactions to being set impossible tasks! At least this one isn't like
that.

We subject some of our job applicants to an assessment centre, one of
the activities of which is an exercise in building a structure to help
us assess how well the applicants work in a team. Even when we tell them
the exercise is about team working, they are still convinced the
important thing is how good the structure is.
--
Kay
Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:16:17 +0000, Mike Lyle wrote
(in article ):

'Mike' wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
.. .
My apologies for the OTness, but I hope I'm a familiar enough urgler
for people to judge that this isn't spam.

[...]

Yes we know you sufficiently to assist, well I am anyway:-), but can
we know what it is about before we 'plunge in' please.

[...]

That's very kind: one of the problems the youngsters have with this kind
of thing is getting enough independent participants. But I'm afraid
that, as I'm one of the guinea pigs, it might tend to invalidate the
experiment if I knew what it was about!* My guess is probably much the
same as yours: I imagine he's hoping to compare people's results on one
kind of test with those on another, and see if there's any difference
which can be correlated with other known factors. The task may be to
compare two differing schools of thought; but I really have no idea.

Well I for one didn't need to know what it was about - it was sufficient to
know you as an urgler. I have to say this took me back to 11 Plus days -
people of my generation will remember those exams! I had great fun doing it
but found some of the questions surprisingly hard (and some very easy,
natch). I look forward to hearing whether I've got a place in my nearest
grammar school!

Good luck to your son.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
.. .
My apologies for the OTness, but I hope I'm a familiar enough urgler for
people to judge that this isn't spam. I may possibly send this to one,
and only one, other group. If you feel it's abusing the newsgroup, I can
only apologise again, and plead that my intentions are honourable.

My son at Durham University needs some data for his undergraduate
dissertation, and has posted a short IQ test at the following site:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.a.lyle/index.php

He'd be very grateful to any volunteer guinea pigs kind-hearted enough
to take part. It's anonymous, of course; but anybody who cares to supply
an email address goes into a draw for a prize of £20!
-- Mike.

Survived it...........I HATE mental arithmetic !
Jenny