GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mandevillas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/153924-mandevillas.html)

BIGTOM 07-02-2007 12:39 PM

Mandevillas

I was wondering where I might buy some Mandevilla plants.
They are very spectacular but I haven't much luck in keeping them
alive.

Sacha 07-02-2007 02:51 PM

Mandevillas

On 7/2/07 12:39, in article
, "BIGTOM"
wrote:

I was wondering where I might buy some Mandevilla plants.
They are very spectacular but I haven't much luck in keeping them
alive.

You should be able to buy them online from various nurseries. But where do
you live and are you trying to grow it outside? It's pretty tender.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Charlie Pridham 08-02-2007 09:05 AM

Mandevillas

"BIGTOM" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was wondering where I might buy some Mandevilla plants.
They are very spectacular but I haven't much luck in keeping them
alive.

The evergreen sorts are quite tender and although I keep them in an unheated
greenhouse would prefer it a bit warmer, say min +5. There is a species
which becomes deciduous in the uk if cold that is reasonable successful on a
warm wall outside, and that is mandevilla laxa (syn M sauveolans)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha 08-02-2007 09:09 AM

Mandevillas

On 8/2/07 09:05, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"BIGTOM" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was wondering where I might buy some Mandevilla plants.
They are very spectacular but I haven't much luck in keeping them
alive.

The evergreen sorts are quite tender and although I keep them in an unheated
greenhouse would prefer it a bit warmer, say min +5. There is a species
which becomes deciduous in the uk if cold that is reasonable successful on a
warm wall outside, and that is mandevilla laxa (syn M sauveolans)

I've had that growing on a wall in Jersey but even there lost it one year to
a frost of around -5. It's a shame because it's such a lovely thing.

BIGTOM 08-02-2007 12:31 PM

Mandevillas

On Feb 7, 2:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 7/2/07 12:39, in article
om, "BIGTOM"

wrote:
I was wondering where I might buy some Mandevilla plants.
They are very spectacular but I haven't much luck in keeping them
alive.

You should be able to buy them online from various nurseries. But where do
you live and are you trying to grow it outside? It's pretty tender.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I live in Northern Ireland. I have grown some in our Conservatory
but after a time lose them-probably due to overwatering them before
we go on holiday. Got some in B&Q but they had none last year.