Old 10-02-2007, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bromiliads

My mother was given a bromiliad for Christmas. It wasn't in soil but in a
rather strange red jelly type substance which also has "green peas" in it
(which I assume is some sort of slow release feed).

There is no evidence of any root system but I don't really want to pull it
out of the jelly in case I do more harm than good.

Questions - (1)what is the usual way of looking after these plants
(including what happens when the "flower" dies) and (2) is it worth planting
it in soil rather than leaving it in the jelly?

Jeanne

Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeanne Stockdale
writes
My mother was given a bromiliad for Christmas. It wasn't in soil but in a
rather strange red jelly type substance which also has "green peas" in it
(which I assume is some sort of slow release feed).

There is no evidence of any root system but I don't really want to pull it
out of the jelly in case I do more harm than good.

Questions - (1)what is the usual way of looking after these plants
(including what happens when the "flower" dies) and (2) is it worth planting
it in soil rather than leaving it in the jelly?

I have no idea what the planting medium is that you mention. As the
majority of bromeliads sold as house plants are epiphytes they gain
little nutrient from the roots, the main purpose of which is to anchor
them to the tree or whatever they are growing on. If you decide to
transfer the plant to a compost based medium ensure that it well drained
- incorporate plenty of sand/grit and some bark. An excellent resource
which covers propagation is http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG272
--
Robert