Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grow Your Own Veg - yesterday

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 11 Feb, 16:29, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:
She looks exactly like the women who used to inhabit Greenham Common
Peace
camp in the 1980s.

These wimmin happen to be my best friends )

Are you off your rocker like them as well?

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 11-02-2007, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Feb, 16:51, "'Mike'" wrote:
Are you off your rocker like them as well?

We rock alright.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Feb, 17:08, Martin wrote:
Have you been standing too near the transmitter dishes at Menwith Hills and
Fylingdales again?

)) NO BUT I'D BE GRATEFUL IF SOMEONE WOULD ASK MY SON TO PUT THE
MUSIC DOWN - I MEAN I DON'T MIND SYSTEMS OF THE DOWN, BUT I'M SURE
IT'S GOING TO LEAD TO COMPLICATION ... with my hearing, eventually.
That's better.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , shazzbat
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message ews.net, Sue
writes

Carol K is a brilliant gardening presenter, whether she's talking about
veg, or planting perennials for a flower garden. She never claimed to be
a beginner at growing vegetables - if people had been paying attention
they'd have seen she'd had lots of experience 'growning her own' many
years ago, but as J says, for the last two decades has concentrated on
her nursery business, shows etc.

I have seen a couple of the programmes and tend to agree with you. She
doesn't talk down to you, which means people who have very little
knowledge of gardening are more likely to listen to her.

I agree also. There is a difficult area between dumbing down to the point
where gardeners would be turning off, and "dumbing up" to the point where
novices/first timers would be lost. As an attempt at treading the middle
ground it's not so bad.

She might comb her hair though :-))

I think she has a problem with her hair that is insurmountable (I have
the same, so know what it is like
--
June Hughes
Old 11-02-2007, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , shazzbat
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message

ews.net, Sue
writes

[...]
I agree also. There is a difficult area between dumbing down to the

point
where gardeners would be turning off, and "dumbing up" to the point

where
novices/first timers would be lost. As an attempt at treading the

middle
ground it's not so bad.

She might comb her hair though :-))

I think she has a problem with her hair that is insurmountable (I have
the same, so know what it is like

Regardless of the content, the dishevelled look is refreshing in a media
world where real women have so often been pressured to try and look like
kids.

--
Mike.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, La
Puce writes
On 11 Feb, 17:08, Martin wrote:
Have you been standing too near the transmitter dishes at Menwith Hills and
Fylingdales again?

)) NO BUT I'D BE GRATEFUL IF SOMEONE WOULD ASK MY SON TO PUT THE
MUSIC DOWN - I MEAN I DON'T MIND SYSTEMS OF THE DOWN, BUT I'M SURE
IT'S GOING TO LEAD TO COMPLICATION ... with my hearing, eventually.
That's better.

You'll get used to it. Just learn to play a musical instrument and you
can drown out all sound from an amplifier!
--
June Hughes
Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Feb, 17:41, Martin wrote:
On 11 Feb, 17:08, Martin wrote:

My son has ringing in his ears and wonders why.

I used to go to the Led Mill in Sheffield. A fine but loud
establishment. I met John Peel there for the first time ...

Old 11-02-2007, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Feb, 21:48, June Hughes wrote:
You'll get used to it. Just learn to play a musical instrument and you
can drown out all sound from an amplifier!

You're psychic!! I've played piano for 35 years ... but that's not
loud enough. So I've bought an electric guitar for my son and I'm now
using it and I love it. We've got this sound card now on our hifi
system in which I can plug my guitar. Today my neighbours told me they
thought that Patti Smith was playing a concert at Trafford Park
because they heard 'I'm dancing barefoot'. I was so pleased ))))

Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote
talking point?

Yes, Carol Klein is apparently a very experienced and knowledgeable
plantswoman and grower. No doubt she and her family would be very
pleasant neighbours.

However, a good TV presenter she not - at least in this context.

A good presenter needs far more than the ability to sound enthusiastic
and 'not talk down to their audience'. They need to entertain, inform
and maintain viewer interest.

In this series, she fails in every respect.

On the contrary. As a viewer with a little gardening knowledge but with
lots to learn, especially as regards vegetable growing, I've found the
series entertaining, informative and it's more tha held my interest
throughout. So even if only using your terms of reference it's a success
afaic!

--
Sue

Old 12-02-2007, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ews.net,
Sue writes

but it isn't what this particular series
has presumably been designed for. I think it *will* inspire a lot of
back garden dabblers to have a go at planting things they can eat,
simply because of her infectious enthusiasm, and is also likely to
appeal to women.

Not if they insist on putting it on BBC2 they won't. It's just not going
to be seen by people who want to do a little light veg growing

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 12-02-2007, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Keith (Dorset)"
writes
talking point?

Yes, Carol Klein is apparently a very experienced and knowledgeable
plantswoman and grower. No doubt she and her family would be very pleasant
neighbours.

However, a good TV presenter she not - at least in this context.

A good presenter needs far more than the ability to sound enthusiastic and
'not talk down to their audience'. They need to entertain, inform and
maintain viewer interest.

In this series, she fails in every respect.

The BBC have been unsuccessful with Grow Your Own Veg because they have
attempted to appeal to too wide an audience. Of course this has, to an
extent, compromised Carol in the way she can lead the programmes. Many other
gardening presenters, I suspect, would not have taken it on.

Keith

Is anyone else old enough to remember the great Geoffrey Smith and his
"Mr smith's vegetable garden"?
He had a very "down to your level" friendly approach but showed an
immense amount of information and technique and clearly loved all things
botanical !

Old 12-02-2007, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
wrote:

[...]

Not that old! You're talking early 80s. When Gardeners' World
presenters had to talk to camera for up to 15 minutes in one continuous
take.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote ...

Oh dear... :-(

Well Keith, as someone with a little knowledge of growing one's own I find
the program rather entertaining in the almost childlike enthusiasm for the
subject, like the look on a child's face digging their first self grown spud
etc., wonderful to behold.
I also like Carol as a presenter and find her enthusiasm infectious (just
like Roy Lancaster). She does know about growing (pretty) stuff, has done it
for years, made a living out of it and built a business around it so also
has my respect.
Sounds awful but I actually didn't expect to learn much because it's on at
peak viewing time, a time when no program will be shown that might appeal to
a severely restricted audience like a serious down and in-depth gardening
program about veg growing would.
If it enthuses only one person to take up the challenge of growing their own
I say "Good on yer Carol".

And the arthritis in her hands ( did anyone else notice?) must be bloody
painful and still she smiles.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 13-02-2007, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Bob,

I agree with a lot you say - and I did very much enjoy seeing the kiddies
being allowed to get their hands dirty in several episodes.

I think Carol would be a much better presenter if she didn't overdo her
enthusiam... but as she's establishing I suppose it's understandable.

Roy Lancaster, is at the very top of the tree - Carol's on her way up there.
I hope things go well for her... and that next time she gets a richer
programme.

Best wishes,

Keith

Old 13-02-2007, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Feb, 23:36, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
[...]

Hear hear!!

And the arthritis in her hands ( did anyone else notice?) must be bloody
painful and still she smiles.

Yes, I did the first time. It's amusing to read some comments about
her hair, clothes and enthusiam. If she didn't have messy hair, dirty
clothes and had little enthusiasm, she wouldn't be a gardener )