Old 10-02-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bubble wrap as grenhouse insulation.

Hi,

Horse stable bolted comes to mind as the snow starts to melt, but does
anyone know how much bubble wrap is needed to insulate an 8ft x 6ft
greenhouse. Its a normal type with a sloping roof that is 8ft x 4ft
either side.

I'm sure all the organised gardners on the group have done this
already. My maths skills arnt up to it :-(

Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
Hi,

Horse stable bolted comes to mind as the snow starts to melt, but does
anyone know how much bubble wrap is needed to insulate an 8ft x 6ft
greenhouse. Its a normal type with a sloping roof that is 8ft x 4ft
either side.

I'm sure all the organised gardners on the group have done this
already. My maths skills arnt up to it :-(

Tina
In the past I have bought it in large rolls and kept the leftover stuff for
the following year.
You will need the supporting clips as well if the frame is aluminium.
However, be aware that it does slightly reduce the light so make sure that
the glass is clean.
Personally, I cannot be bothered with it any more as it increases the
moisture and encourages mould / fungus disease. Also it is a pain to take
down when all the plants have grown as I usually have tomatoes in the
boarders and cucumbers trailing across the roof + hanging baskets of tumbler
tomatoes.
Having said this, it will definitely reduce your heating costs.

Steve

Old 10-02-2007, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:41:49 -0000, "Springtime"
wrote:
Steve,
Might be a tupid suggestion, but why cant it go on the outside, like a
big bubblewrap cover?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Steve,
Might be a tupid suggestion, but why cant it go on the outside, like a
big bubblewrap cover?

[...]

The answer begins with w and ends with eather.

--
Mike.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote
Might be a tupid suggestion, but why cant it go on the outside, like a
big bubblewrap cover?

A) Makes a hell of a racket in the wind
B) Will probably tear in the wind
C) Doesn't look good :~))

Jenny

Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , tina
writes
Hi,

Horse stable bolted comes to mind as the snow starts to melt, but does
anyone know how much bubble wrap is needed to insulate an 8ft x 6ft
greenhouse. Its a normal type with a sloping roof that is 8ft x 4ft
either side.

I'm sure all the organised gardners on the group have done this
already. My maths skills arnt up to it :-(

No idea but also thinking about bubble wrapping my old greenhouse until
I get the new one! Only need bubble wrap for starting seeds etc as I
have heater that keeps it just above freezing.
I found if I overwinter some shrubs and keep them too warm they continue
t grow and I lose them when they rot off or they never quite acclimatise
to the spring weather outside

I bought my bubble wrap roll from Viking quite cheap, also Ebay has
rolls of the stuff. The bits left over I can drape over makeshift
cloches
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 21:28:50 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:
OK fair enough.

"tina" wrote

Old 11-02-2007, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
Hi,

Horse stable bolted comes to mind as the snow starts to melt, but does
anyone know how much bubble wrap is needed to insulate an 8ft x 6ft
greenhouse. Its a normal type with a sloping roof that is 8ft x 4ft
either side.

I'm sure all the organised gardners on the group have done this
already. My maths skills arnt up to it :-(

My neighbour 'liberated' from work a roll which was 1200mm, or 4ft wide,
(standard width?) and 15metres long. I cut it in half, ie into 2 rolls 15m x
600mm, since this matches the width of the sections of the greenhouse, and
then cut one of the halves into 4 lengths of (almost) 4 metres. Each length
goes from half way up one side, up the roof, down the other side, and to
halfway down the side again. I decided that will do, hopefully enough to
retain some heat without being enough to cause damp/mould problems. I
haven't done the ends because one is close to the fence and hopefully that
will help, and the other end with the door is just too fiddly. I'm going to
use the other half roll to do the greenhouse on the allotment in the same
way. So I've used 9.6 square metres per greenhouse.

Incidentally, I didn't use clips, I had already drilled several holes in
various parts of the structure of the g/h, specifically the angle sections,
which allowed me to thread several strands of the previously liberated
fishing line through them the length of the g/h to support the wrap.

HTH

Steve

Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"tina" wrote
Might be a tupid suggestion, but why cant it go on the outside, like a
big bubblewrap cover?

A) Makes a hell of a racket in the wind
B) Will probably tear in the wind
C) Doesn't look good :~))

Jenny

Bubble wrap.............tear..............I have a job cutting it.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lez Pawl" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

"tina" wrote
Might be a tupid suggestion, but why cant it go on the outside, like a
big bubblewrap cover?

A) Makes a hell of a racket in the wind
B) Will probably tear in the wind
C) Doesn't look good :~))

Jenny

Bubble wrap.............tear..............I have a job cutting it.

Heard about....... Not seen .......... But can picture and 'hear' it :-))

Warehouse... Roll of Bubble wrap unrolled on the floor........
..
..
..
and driven over in a Fork Lift Truck!!

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lez Pawl" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

"tina" wrote
Might be a tupid suggestion, but why cant it go on the outside, like a
big bubblewrap cover?

A) Makes a hell of a racket in the wind
B) Will probably tear in the wind
C) Doesn't look good :~))

Jenny

Bubble wrap.............tear..............I have a job cutting it.

try this :
http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/popnow.shtml
Jenny "~)

Old 11-02-2007, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

shazzbat writes

Incidentally, I didn't use clips, I had already drilled several holes in
various parts of the structure of the g/h, specifically the angle sections,
which allowed me to thread several strands of the previously liberated
fishing line through them the length of the g/h to support the wrap.

We have a number of canes suspended running the length of the roof. The
bubble wrap drapes over these and then tucks behind the plants down to
shelf level. Quick to put up in the autumn, even quicker to take down in
the spring.

Below shelf level I keep the bubble wrap in place permanently.

I use the same bubble wrap from one year to the next.
--
Kay
Old 11-02-2007, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

Below shelf level I keep the bubble wrap in place permanently.

I use the same bubble wrap from one year to the next.

I take mine out now Kay and hose it down on the lawn or I find that
spider mite is quicker to return to the greenhouse come the warmer
weather.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
shazzbat writes

Incidentally, I didn't use clips, I had already drilled several holes in
various parts of the structure of the g/h, specifically the angle
sections,
which allowed me to thread several strands of the previously liberated
fishing line through them the length of the g/h to support the wrap.

We have a number of canes suspended running the length of the roof. The
bubble wrap drapes over these and then tucks behind the plants down to
shelf level. Quick to put up in the autumn, even quicker to take down in
the spring.

Below shelf level I keep the bubble wrap in place permanently.

I use the same bubble wrap from one year to the next.
Kay

I leave the BW up in the roof as its a b.....r to take down. It does
however start to disintegrate within about three years due to the heat/sun

Jenny

Old 11-02-2007, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
In article , K
writes

Below shelf level I keep the bubble wrap in place permanently.

I use the same bubble wrap from one year to the next.

I take mine out now Kay and hose it down on the lawn or I find that
spider mite is quicker to return to the greenhouse come the warmer
weather.

That's not feasible for me as there's so much in the greenhouse atm. I
just would not be able to take it all out once the greenhouse had warmed
up in the morning, hose it daown and dry it, and get it back before
sunset.
--
Kay