GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing garlic (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/154024-growing-garlic.html)

shazzbat 11-02-2007 12:53 AM

Growing garlic

When you grow garlic from a clove, and you get (hopefully) a bulb consisting
of several cloves round a central core, what happened to the original clove
you planted? Does that one become the central core, or does it wither away
like a seed potato?

Steve

Robert[_2_] 11-02-2007 08:30 AM

Growing garlic

shazzbat wrote:
: When you grow garlic from a clove, and you get (hopefully) a bulb
: consisting of several cloves round a central core, what happened to
: the original clove you planted? Does that one become the central
: core, or does it wither away like a seed potato?
:
: Steve

It has expanded and split into several cloves

Cerumen[_2_] 11-02-2007 08:42 AM

Growing garlic

"shazzbat" wrote in message
When you grow garlic from a clove, and you get (hopefully) a bulb
consisting of several cloves round a central core, what happened to the
original clove you planted? Does that one become the central core, or does
it wither away like a seed potato?

I have always assumed it is the central core that is found in the bulb.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Adrian 11-02-2007 10:14 AM

Growing garlic

HI Chris

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:42:37 -0000, "Cerumen"
wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message
When you grow garlic from a clove, and you get (hopefully) a bulb
consisting of several cloves round a central core, what happened to the
original clove you planted? Does that one become the central core, or does
it wither away like a seed potato?

I have always assumed it is the central core that is found in the bulb.

Well - according to Carol on 'Grow your own veg', you have to have a
cold snap while the garlic is forming otherwise you end up with one
enormous 'bulb' - rather than a clump of them.....

....don't know how true that might be ?? g

West Cork eh ?? - wonder where - we're near Ballydehob, impatiently
waiting for the ground to dry out enough so's we can dig in something
to lighten it up a little, and get the cladding on the new
polytunnel....

Regards
Adrian

Broadback 11-02-2007 11:56 AM

Growing garlic

wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message
When you grow garlic from a clove, and you get (hopefully) a bulb
consisting of several cloves round a central core, what happened to the
original clove you planted? Does that one become the central core, or does
it wither away like a seed potato?

I have always assumed it is the central core that is found in the bulb.

Well - according to Carol on 'Grow your own veg', you have to have a
cold snap while the garlic is forming otherwise you end up with one
enormous 'bulb' - rather than a clump of them.....

...don't know how true that might be ?? g

West Cork eh ?? - wonder where - we're near Ballydehob, impatiently
waiting for the ground to dry out enough so's we can dig in something
to lighten it up a little, and get the cladding on the new
polytunnel....

Regards
Adrian

I grow garlic planted in the late Autumn and early Spring, both split
and do well for me. Keep well away from me though, I have smelly breath! ;-)

Cerumen[_2_] 11-02-2007 12:23 PM

Growing garlic

"Adrian" wrote in message
HI Chris
West Cork eh ?? - wonder where - we're near Ballydehob, impatiently
waiting for the ground to dry out enough so's we can dig in something
to lighten it up a little, and get the cladding on the new
polytunnel....

Just east of Clonakilty on the coast.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Mike Lyle 11-02-2007 01:29 PM

Growing garlic

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message
When you grow garlic from a clove, and you get (hopefully) a bulb
consisting of several cloves round a central core, what happened to

the
original clove you planted? Does that one become the central core,

or does
it wither away like a seed potato?

I have always assumed it is the central core that is found in the

bulb.

I think that's true, in simple terms: left to itself, it would go on
producing leaves and finally a flowering stalk if allowed to grow on in
the same cycle. That's why you have to eat it rather than plant it. I
wonder, though, if one _did_ plant it in good conditions, it might
produce some weak new cloves, but after another season, and having used
most of its energy for flowering; but I've never tried, so probably it
just flowers and dies.

--
Mike.

Adrian 11-02-2007 03:35 PM

Growing garlic

Hi Chris

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:23:45 -0000, "Cerumen"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
.. .
HI Chris
West Cork eh ?? - wonder where - we're near Ballydehob, impatiently
waiting for the ground to dry out enough so's we can dig in something
to lighten it up a little, and get the cladding on the new
polytunnel....

Just east of Clonakilty on the coast.

Oh, right - our next-door neighbour comes from out that way.....
nice part of the world - but a bit colder than we are g

Spent a few days in a B&B in Clon while we were looking for this
house..

Enjoy the gardening !
Adrian