Old 11-02-2007, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Summer elsewhere?

I just returned from Jersey this evening. In my son's garden there are
Gazanias flowering, along with daffodils and Coronilla and a few other
things you'd expect to see in spring. Last night the wind howled and blew
and screamed around their house but the Camellias remained relatively serene
and the Gazanias bloomed on. I found that a slightly surreal experience!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-02-2007, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi,
Until last couple of weeks my Gazanias (tiger stripes) have been flowering
but all heads are now brown and dead, but leaves are still OK, looks like I
may keep them through winter.
Also have carnation in floweroutside greenhouseand couple of fuschias in
hanging baskets are showing early signs of shooting again, even with all the
snow we have had here.

Cineman (West Midlands)

. uk...

Old 12-02-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
I just returned from Jersey this evening. In my son's garden there are
Gazanias flowering, along with daffodils and Coronilla and a few other
things you'd expect to see in spring. Last night the wind howled and blew
and screamed around their house but the Camellias remained relatively

serene
and the Gazanias bloomed on. I found that a slightly surreal experience!

I you find out where summer is can you let me know please. I can then go and
grab the ******* and make him appear down in the southern hemisphere where
he is supposed to be. Hes probably lying on a beach in the tropics having a
holiday. Damned no good lazy bum summer.

rob

Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
I just returned from Jersey this evening. In my son's garden there are
Gazanias flowering, along with daffodils and Coronilla and a few other
things you'd expect to see in spring. Last night the wind howled and

blew
and screamed around their house but the Camellias remained relatively

serene
and the Gazanias bloomed on. I found that a slightly surreal

experience!

I you find out where summer is can you let me know please. I can then go

and
grab the ******* and make him appear down in the southern hemisphere where
he is supposed to be. Hes probably lying on a beach in the tropics having

holiday. Damned no good lazy bum summer.

no good bum summer applied for the job, was offered it and took the job.
Rarely bothers to turn up these days instead sending its mate spring or
autumn.

rob

Old 12-02-2007, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
I just returned from Jersey this evening. In my son's garden there are
Gazanias flowering, along with daffodils and Coronilla and a few other
things you'd expect to see in spring. Last night the wind howled and
blew
and screamed around their house but the Camellias remained relatively

serene
and the Gazanias bloomed on. I found that a slightly surreal experience!

I you find out where summer is can you let me know please. I can then go
and
grab the ******* and make him appear down in the southern hemisphere where
he is supposed to be. Hes probably lying on a beach in the tropics having
holiday. Damned no good lazy bum summer.

rob

Read a Scientific Report somewhere which states that this 'global warming'
is a load of crap and that the Southern Ice Cap is in fact growing and the
World is going into a new Ice Age.

Ho hum, good for the Government to slap yet another tax on with the Global
Warming scare and for the tree huggers to jump up and down as well!!

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

el nino/nina (pick which one) rather, cool mild conditions, not conducive to
ripening tomatos. Great for Tomato Blight however.

rob

Old 12-02-2007, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:24:40 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Read a Scientific Report somewhere which states that this 'global warming'
is a load of crap and that the Southern Ice Cap is in fact growing and the
World is going into a new Ice Age.

Yes, the Ice Caps are changing. The Arctic is shrinking faster than
the Antarctic is growing. Was the report one of the many sponsored by
the US oil industry? Maybe global warming will balance out the coming
Ice Age. Either way I think we are in for a few big changes.

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com
Old 12-02-2007, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message

.. "I think we are in for a few big changes".

Such as ?????????

"I think" that the world is such a massive lump of matter that has existed
for millions of years before man stepped foot on it, that it will do its own
thing until long after man has disappeared.

However, carry on panicking and playing into the governments tax fiddles
:-(( along with the rest of the tree huggers

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 12-02-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:01:22 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Such as ?????????

Well, the local stormy weather will be more frequent and more intense.
That's my prediction, using my own methods. I'm not influenced by
other reports.

"I think" that the world is such a massive lump of matter that has existed
for millions of years before man stepped foot on it, that it will do its own
thing until long after man has disappeared.

Yes, but I'm not interested in what happened millions of years ago. I
mean now and the remaining years of my life. I'm a bit selfish.

However, carry on panicking and playing into the governments tax fiddles
:-(( along with the rest of the tree huggers

I'm neither panicking or tree hugging. I am just using my software to
predict short term changes based on the last few years.

Steve

Old 12-02-2007, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message

short term changes based on the last few years.

Short term? When it varies so much over 70 years that I can just about
remember? 1940 Thames frozen 1959 Scorcher of a Summer, but 1951 a very wet
one. 1947 and 1962 Winters terrible but 1976 a scorcher of a Summer followed
by heavy rain.

Changes all the time. Live with it.

The earth will out live you and all the panic merchants!!!
Just keep paying Gordon Brown's 'Environment Tax' and the next one he comes
up with.
Some of you will believe anything written in the Daily Mail and believe
what's on TV.
By the way, Eastenders is only acting. :-((

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 12-02-2007, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:13:12 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message
.. .

short term changes based on the last few years.

Short term? When it varies so much over 70 years that I can just about
remember? 1940 Thames frozen 1959 Scorcher of a Summer, but 1951 a very wet
one. 1947 and 1962 Winters terrible but 1976 a scorcher of a Summer followed
by heavy rain.

Yes, I remember the seriously cold winters of my childhood. I'm only
58.

Changes all the time. Live with it.

I have not alternative but to live with it but trying to predict short
term changes is more challenging that the long term ones. I like a
challenge.

The earth will out live you and all the panic merchants!!!
Just keep paying Gordon Brown's 'Environment Tax' and the next one he comes
up with.
Some of you will believe anything written in the Daily Mail and believe
what's on TV.
By the way, Eastenders is only acting. :-((

I've no idea how you grouped me in with panic merchants - I'm just the
opposite.

As for the Daily Mail. It's a joke. And I've never watched Eastenders
in my life. Is it any good?

Steve

Old 12-02-2007, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:24:40 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"George.com" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

So you read 'a Scientific Report somewhere'.
One unproven report by a lone attention-seeker that differs from the
hundreds produced around the world in peer-reviewed journals which all
agree the climate is being changed. You believe that one report
against all of the others.

Some of us have more common sense.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Some of us have more common sense.

Some of you are brain washed and become brain dead :-))

Live with it.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 12-02-2007, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message

short term changes based on the last few years.

Short term? When it varies so much over 70 years that I can just about
remember? 1940 Thames frozen 1959 Scorcher of a Summer, but 1951 a very
wet
one. 1947 and 1962 Winters terrible but 1976 a scorcher of a Summer
followed
by heavy rain.

Yes, I remember the seriously cold winters of my childhood. I'm only
58.

So you remember the winter of 1962-1963?

I remember the winter of 1946/47!

Alan

Old 12-02-2007, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message

short term changes based on the last few years.

Short term? When it varies so much over 70 years that I can just about
remember? 1940 Thames frozen 1959 Scorcher of a Summer, but 1951 a very wet
one. 1947 and 1962 Winters terrible but 1976 a scorcher of a Summer followed
by heavy rain.

Yes, I remember the seriously cold winters of my childhood. I'm only
58.

So you remember the winter of 1962-1963?

Yes, very well. We had some discussion about us kids walking across
the frozen lake (Hollingworth) in some other news thread (I forget the
usenet group it was in). More interesting than the frozen lake was the
ice covered houses along the lake bank. I few feet of snow wasn't must
of a problem but a solid layer of ice tended to lock us in for a day
or two. It was dangerous to try to break the ice off the walls because
it weighed a few tons.

Another year I remember was later (in the 1970s) when I was working in
Manchester. The shortcut from my house, across the tops to the
motorway, had no defined road. It was somewhere under the snow. The
snow was hard packed, I think it was an effect of the wind and ice
particles. I tried to drive over the hard snow by following a few
other cars but we all got stuck (including the leading Volvo with snow
chains on the wheels). When I went to dig my car out a few days later
I found it in a field about 20 yds off the road. A snow plough had
cleared the road but not the field

Steve