GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Laburnum disease ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/154118-laburnum-disease.html)

Carole[_2_] 14-02-2007 04:08 PM

Laburnum disease ?

I have a laburnum about 2 yrs old, flowers great, but the leaves appear and
then 'disappear' - no sign of them on the ground or any obvious sign of
pests, but I presume something is eating them ?? After the flowers have
gone - the tree is virtually bare all year, but hasn't died.
Any ideas ?

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 14-02-2007 04:21 PM

Laburnum disease ?

"Carole" wrote in message
I have a laburnum about 2 yrs old, flowers great, but the leaves appear and
then 'disappear' - no sign of them on the ground or any obvious sign of
pests, but I presume something is eating them ?? After the flowers have
gone - the tree is virtually bare all year, but hasn't died.
Any ideas ?

I have seen leaves eaten by some form of caterpillar that loves laburnum. A
quick inspection will tell you if this is the problem.
As the tree gets bigger the problem will become less as the ratio of
leaves/caterpillar becomes bigger