Old 14-02-2007, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storing horse manure ?

A friend of mine has provided me with 4 bags of horse manure for my
veg plot. There's a fair chance I wont use it all straight away - any
ideas how long it will store, and how best to store it ? Currently its
sat in plastic horse feed bags.

Old 14-02-2007, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Neil wrote...
A friend of mine has provided me with 4 bags of horse manure for my
veg plot. There's a fair chance I wont use it all straight away - any
ideas how long it will store, and how best to store it ? Currently its
sat in plastic horse feed bags.

Four bags and you can't use it all?
You either have very big bags or a very small plot. We spread two large
tipper trailer loads of horse manure on a different quarter of our allotment
each year (4 year rotation), it's 4+ inches deep at least. Then we rotovate
it in and plant that quarter with the spuds, amongst other things. You can
see the soil has changed colour, gone darker, blacker, by the next spring.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 14-02-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Feb, 17:16, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Neil wrote...
A friend of mine has provided me with 4 bags of horse manure for my
veg plot. There's a fair chance I wont use it all straight away - any
ideas how long it will store, and how best to store it ? Currently its
sat in plastic horse feed bags.

Four bags and you can't use it all?
You either have very big bags or a very small plot. We spread two large
tipper trailer loads of horse manure on a different quarter of our allotment
each year (4 year rotation), it's 4+ inches deep at least. Then we rotovate
it in and plant that quarter with the spuds, amongst other things. You can
see the soil has changed colour, gone darker, blacker, by the next spring.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

I have a fairly small plot, and the soil level is rising wih each
year. I could use all of the manure, but will have to dig out some of
the soil to make way - seems a bit of a waste of last years manure...
if you know what i mean ?
Do you think I should just dig it out anyway ?

Old 14-02-2007, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/2/07 17:52, in article
,
" wrote:

[...]

If you want to store it, you could put it in a corner and then use it when
you need to next winter.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-02-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Feb, 17:56, Sacha wrote:
On 14/2/07 17:52, in article
om,

" wrote:
[...]

Hi Sacha.
You mean in the bag, or just piled up out of the bag ?

Storing Manure Jane United Kingdom 3 04-07-2006 12:58 PM
Buying/storing manure after June 2005 Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 22 05-05-2005 12:59 PM
Horse manure again [email protected] United Kingdom 16 09-09-2003 10:32 AM
Storing manure? Jim W United Kingdom 4 30-04-2003 06:44 PM
Aged Horse Manure Avail for the taking Sheila Edible Gardening 8 07-04-2003 11:56 AM