GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blasted mice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/154161-blasted-mice.html)

Broadback 15-02-2007 04:29 PM

Blasted mice

If I still had children at home I am ashamed to say that I would have
blamed them and worse, not believed their denials. I keep bird seed and
and opened bag of potting compost in my garage. When I cam to use the
compost there was lots of bird seed mixed in it. Mice had been taking
the bird seed and transferring into the compost. Useless for potting now!

JennyC 15-02-2007 06:01 PM

Blasted mice

"Broadback" wrote in message
If I still had children at home I am ashamed to say that I would have
blamed them and worse, not believed their denials. I keep bird seed and
and opened bag of potting compost in my garage. When I cam to use the
compost there was lots of bird seed mixed in it. Mice had been taking the
bird seed and transferring into the compost. Useless for potting now!

Went to buy bird seed yesterday at my regular GC - they only had fat balls
left.
Went of to the next GC down the road - no seed either. When I asked if they
had any, the saleslady said, "we don't stock it because of the mice" !
Jenny

Sacha 15-02-2007 06:07 PM

Blasted mice

On 15/2/07 16:29, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

If I still had children at home I am ashamed to say that I would have
blamed them and worse, not believed their denials. I keep bird seed and
and opened bag of potting compost in my garage. When I cam to use the
compost there was lots of bird seed mixed in it. Mice had been taking
the bird seed and transferring into the compost. Useless for potting now!

Keep the bird seed in a dustbin. We do/did that with bird seed, chicken
pellets etc.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Broadback 15-02-2007 06:30 PM

Blasted mice

wrote:

If I still had children at home I am ashamed to say that I would have
blamed them and worse, not believed their denials. I keep bird seed and
and opened bag of potting compost in my garage. When I cam to use the
compost there was lots of bird seed mixed in it. Mice had been taking
the bird seed and transferring into the compost. Useless for potting now!

Keep the bird seed in a dustbin. We do/did that with bird seed, chicken
pellets etc.

You know it makes sense! :-)

Dave Liquorice 15-02-2007 06:47 PM

Blasted mice

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:29:05 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Mice had been taking the bird seed and transferring into the compost.
Useless for potting now!

Er why? I thought that bird seed was treated to prevent germination these
days. After people started planting it looking out for certain plants...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Alan Holmes 15-02-2007 07:39 PM

Blasted mice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:29:05 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Mice had been taking the bird seed and transferring into the compost.
Useless for potting now!

Er why? I thought that bird seed was treated to prevent germination these
days. After people started planting it looking out for certain plants...

I grew some of those once, just to see what they looked like!

Alan

Alan Holmes 15-02-2007 07:40 PM

Blasted mice

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
If I still had children at home I am ashamed to say that I would have
blamed them and worse, not believed their denials. I keep bird seed and
and opened bag of potting compost in my garage. When I cam to use the
compost there was lots of bird seed mixed in it. Mice had been taking the
bird seed and transferring into the compost. Useless for potting now!

Why not just kill the mice, it's very simple, set a nipper trap, bait it
with peanut butter, bingo trapped dead mouse!

Alan

Bob Hobden 15-02-2007 10:27 PM

Blasted mice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote
after Broadback wrote:

Mice had been taking the bird seed and transferring into the compost.
Useless for potting now!

Er why? I thought that bird seed was treated to prevent germination these
days. After people started planting it looking out for certain plants...

Don't think so, we get certain plants coming up every year underneath our
bird table.

--
Regards
Bob H

Sacha 15-02-2007 11:11 PM

Blasted mice

On 15/2/07 18:47, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:29:05 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Mice had been taking the bird seed and transferring into the compost.
Useless for potting now!

Er why? I thought that bird seed was treated to prevent germination these
days. After people started planting it looking out for certain plants...

Is it?! We get all kinds of strange brassica type things sprouting up but
possibly not the weird kind of things you're thinking of. Is this why we
have grumpy birds?

Broadback 16-02-2007 09:21 AM

Blasted mice

Sacha wrote:
On 15/2/07 18:47, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:29:05 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Mice had been taking the bird seed and transferring into the compost.
Useless for potting now!

Er why? I thought that bird seed was treated to prevent germination these
days. After people started planting it looking out for certain plants...

Is it?! We get all kinds of strange brassica type things sprouting up but
possibly not the weird kind of things you're thinking of. Is this why we
have grumpy birds?

Thanks for your interest. First I have now, as suggested trapped and
killed the mice, however the seed remained in the compost. ;-) I'm
afraid that the seeds did germinate, the potting compost was full of
shoots a week later, it is now composting on my compost heap!

Sacha 16-02-2007 10:19 AM

Blasted mice

On 16/2/07 09:21, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 15/2/07 18:47, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:29:05 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Mice had been taking the bird seed and transferring into the compost.
Useless for potting now!
Er why? I thought that bird seed was treated to prevent germination these
days. After people started planting it looking out for certain plants...

Is it?! We get all kinds of strange brassica type things sprouting up but
possibly not the weird kind of things you're thinking of. Is this why we
have grumpy birds?

Thanks for your interest. First I have now, as suggested trapped and
killed the mice, however the seed remained in the compost. ;-) I'm
afraid that the seeds did germinate, the potting compost was full of
shoots a week later, it is now composting on my compost heap!

Well, that seems appropriate. There was a case of an elderly couple who
were 'caught' growing cannabis at the bottom of their garden. It turned out
that it had grown from the bird seed they so kindly put out every day for
their feathered friends!

Cerumen[_2_] 16-02-2007 11:07 AM

Blasted mice

"Broadback" wrote in message
If I still had children at home I am ashamed to say that I would have
blamed them and worse, not believed their denials. I keep bird seed and
and opened bag of potting compost in my garage. When I cam to use the
compost there was lots of bird seed mixed in it. Mice had been taking the
bird seed and transferring into the compost. Useless for potting now!

You might get a few surprising results if you used it, I would certainly not
bin it but use it for starting some other easily identifiable seeds.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Sacha 16-02-2007 12:57 PM

Blasted mice

On 16/2/07 10:51, in article ,
"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Snip

Well, that seems appropriate. There was a case of an elderly couple who
were 'caught' growing cannabis at the bottom of their garden. It turned out
that it had grown from the bird seed they so kindly put out every day for
their feathered friends!

That brings back memories ...

... of Mother in her late 80's doing exactly that, then proudly
showing the
'pretty plant' to all visitors and asking them what they thought it was!

IIRC that's what happened to this couple and the next thing they knew the
police had called! Once they saw the age and totally confused innocence
they realised what had happened was a genuine mistake!

La Puce 16-02-2007 01:35 PM

Blasted mice

On 16 Feb, 13:07, Martin wrote:
totally confused innocence LOL!

S'for me arthritis guv, honest ;o)

La Puce 17-02-2007 05:45 PM

Blasted mice

On 16 Feb, 15:48, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:42:02 GMT, Jennifer Sparkes

... but Martin you never met my mother, she was
embarrassingly/worryingly innocent.

I have a similar close relative.

I'm not related to Martin.