Old 15-02-2007, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blasted mice

If I still had children at home I am ashamed to say that I would have
blamed them and worse, not believed their denials. I keep bird seed and
and opened bag of potting compost in my garage. When I cam to use the
compost there was lots of bird seed mixed in it. Mice had been taking
the bird seed and transferring into the compost. Useless for potting now!
Old 15-02-2007, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
If I still had children at home I am ashamed to say that I would have
blamed them and worse, not believed their denials. I keep bird seed and
and opened bag of potting compost in my garage. When I cam to use the
compost there was lots of bird seed mixed in it. Mice had been taking the
bird seed and transferring into the compost. Useless for potting now!

Went to buy bird seed yesterday at my regular GC - they only had fat balls
left.
Went of to the next GC down the road - no seed either. When I asked if they
had any, the saleslady said, "we don't stock it because of the mice" !
Jenny

Old 15-02-2007, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:29:05 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Mice had been taking the bird seed and transferring into the compost.
Useless for potting now!

Er why? I thought that bird seed was treated to prevent germination these
days. After people started planting it looking out for certain plants...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 15-02-2007, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:29:05 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Mice had been taking the bird seed and transferring into the compost.
Useless for potting now!

Er why? I thought that bird seed was treated to prevent germination these
days. After people started planting it looking out for certain plants...

I grew some of those once, just to see what they looked like!

Alan

Old 15-02-2007, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
If I still had children at home I am ashamed to say that I would have
blamed them and worse, not believed their denials. I keep bird seed and
and opened bag of potting compost in my garage. When I cam to use the
compost there was lots of bird seed mixed in it. Mice had been taking the
bird seed and transferring into the compost. Useless for potting now!

Why not just kill the mice, it's very simple, set a nipper trap, bait it
with peanut butter, bingo trapped dead mouse!

Alan

Old 15-02-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote
after Broadback wrote:

Mice had been taking the bird seed and transferring into the compost.
Useless for potting now!

Er why? I thought that bird seed was treated to prevent germination these
days. After people started planting it looking out for certain plants...

Don't think so, we get certain plants coming up every year underneath our
bird table.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 16-02-2007, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
If I still had children at home I am ashamed to say that I would have
blamed them and worse, not believed their denials. I keep bird seed and
and opened bag of potting compost in my garage. When I cam to use the
compost there was lots of bird seed mixed in it. Mice had been taking the
bird seed and transferring into the compost. Useless for potting now!

You might get a few surprising results if you used it, I would certainly not
bin it but use it for starting some other easily identifiable seeds.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 16-02-2007, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Feb, 13:07, Martin wrote:
totally confused innocence LOL!

S'for me arthritis guv, honest ;o)

Old 17-02-2007, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Feb, 15:48, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:42:02 GMT, Jennifer Sparkes

... but Martin you never met my mother, she was
embarrassingly/worryingly innocent.

I have a similar close relative.

I'm not related to Martin.