Old 16-02-2007, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cat Deterrents

I expect this has been asked before, however, I don't visit the group very
often so here goes.
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from about
£16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with these
devices? and is price related to efficiency?

Ditto chemicals, or cat deterring plants?

Ditto rubber spikes on fences?

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Don

Old 16-02-2007, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
I expect this has been asked before, however, I don't visit the group very
often so here goes.
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from
about £16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with
these devices? and is price related to efficiency?

Don't know how much we paid for ours but it is wonderful. Get rechargable
bateries and a charger.

Ditto chemicals, or cat deterring plants?

Poison, but don't eat the dead cats.

Ditto rubber spikes on fences?

Carpet gripper strips last longer.

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Gun?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Put the offending neighbour's house on the market.

Don

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 16-02-2007, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Feb, 11:31, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:
Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

We've started to use Silent Roar pellets because we have new
neighbours and they have a tom cat who not only is not scared of our
tom, not scared of our 2 dogs but get in our house to eat our cat's
food! This moggie is amazing. We've water pistoled him several times
but he is still there! I became concerned because when chased out of
our garden he would leg it across the road to his house and a few
times he missed cars by inches and we don't want him dead.

So far I haven't seen any mess on my raised beds which is where he
kept going - I've started applying about 3 weeks ago when I noticed
how bad it was (when we were felling our eucalyptus tree). These
pellets are also good for squirrels and foxes apparently and were
voted best product last year. I made absolutely sure that the area was
all cleanned first and used lots of twigs as well.

I haven't tried any other methods because most moggies visiting are
usually scared of our dogs and find a strong tom. Though he is 17
years old now and perhaps cannot fight any longer or simply cannot be
bothered )

Old 16-02-2007, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 16 Feb, 11:31, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:
Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

We've started to use Silent Roar pellets because we have new
neighbours and they have a tom cat who not only is not scared of our
tom, not scared of our 2 dogs but get in our house to eat our cat's
food!

if so stupid busteds have a tom cat in the neighbourhood, apart from giving
them a mouthful about being irresponsible, one of the easiets things may be
to bung them some $$ to get the cat fixed if they can't be bothered
themselves. Getting a tom fixed solves a number of problems.

rob

Old 16-02-2007, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" asked:
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

---
If you live near a Zoo, lion or tiger manure scattered around the garden is
a sure winner, so I am told!

MikeCT

Old 16-02-2007, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/2/07 16:37, in article ,
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Donwill" asked:
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

---
If you live near a Zoo, lion or tiger manure scattered around the garden is
a sure winner, so I am told!

At Paignton Zoo they turn it into compost, known as Zoo Poo!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-02-2007, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
I expect this has been asked before, however, I don't visit the group very
often so here goes.
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from

about
£16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with these
devices? and is price related to efficiency?

Ditto chemicals, or cat deterring plants?

Ditto rubber spikes on fences?

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Don

Not digging, or alternatively providing an area of clean sand so at least
you know where its likely to be! :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-02-2007, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Feb, 16:37, "MikeCT" wrote:
If you live near a Zoo, lion or tiger manure scattered around the garden is
a sure winner, so I am told!

Yes indeed - that's what we use and I ommitted to say that 'Silent
Roar' is indeed made of lion poo. It has a 'zoo' smell to it )

Old 16-02-2007, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Donwill
writes
I expect this has been asked before, however, I don't visit the group
very often so here goes. Can anyone comment on the success (or
otherwise) of strategies to prevent cats fouling their garden.
Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

I had this problem a lot ... until a cat decided to live here.
It inspected the whole house - every corner of every room - just like a
prospective purchaser - and then spent nine months using all the
seduction techniques in the book - until we succumbed.
Since then there has been zero fouling of the garden.
It's about territory.
If you can't beat 'em ...
--
Chris
Old 17-02-2007, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 16 Feb, 15:42, "George.com" wrote:
if so stupid busteds have a tom cat in the neighbourhood, apart from

giving
them a mouthful about being irresponsible, one of the easiets things may

be
to bung them some $$ to get the cat fixed if they can't be bothered
themselves. Getting a tom fixed solves a number of problems.

If the cats start to really get on our nerves and keep eating our food
and foul our gardens, we've decided to call the RSPCA. Looks like one
of the cat is getting fatter ...

one way may be to nap puss and take him down to the vets yourself to be
done. From there either 2 things may happen, puss returns home and is less
territorial or he moves in with you and you have a nice lazy contented house
puss with 1/2 the problems caused by a tom.

rob

Old 17-02-2007, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Feb, 15:42, "George.com" wrote:
if so stupid busteds have a tom cat in the neighbourhood, apart from giving
them a mouthful about being irresponsible, one of the easiets things may be
to bung them some $$ to get the cat fixed if they can't be bothered
themselves. Getting a tom fixed solves a number of problems.

This did occur to us - but they don't look too approachable right now,
3 blokes it seems with two white dirty vans, 2 cars (one has never
moved), we counted 4 cats so far, they have bulbs with no shades in
every rooms, no curtains but a really nice blue snooker table in the
front room, lots of old furnitures on the path on the side of the
house. Rob, it's quite impossible for me to go and knock at that door.
I prefer to deal with this myself and just wave at them from afar. And
once spring starts all the leaves will cover their house and we won't
see them again for another 8 months ;o)

Old 17-02-2007, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 16 Feb, 15:42, "George.com" wrote:
if so stupid busteds have a tom cat in the neighbourhood, apart from
giving
them a mouthful about being irresponsible, one of the easiets things may
be
to bung them some $$ to get the cat fixed if they can't be bothered
themselves. Getting a tom fixed solves a number of problems.

This did occur to us - but they don't look too approachable right now,
3 blokes it seems with two white dirty vans, 2 cars (one has never

La Puce. It is MOST important that you talk to them and 'make friends' with
them. You have to 'live' with them and they are SO important to your
happiness. We have wonderful neighbours all round because we talk to them
and joke with them. One of them people are a bit wary of, but he is fine, he
was the one clearing the pedestrian underpass the other day. Believe it or
not, you have something in common with these and have a 'talking point'.
Find it, enlarge on it, and then 'approach' your problem.

Only today I approached a neighbour with a problem he was making, (as it
happens he was annoyed by the problem himself, not aware HE was making
it!!!!) and it will be looked into next Tuesday when a rep calls on him!!!

Sorry, but I studied psychology and have dealt with 'The Human Race' for
quite a number of years :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 17-02-2007, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Feb, 17:03, "'Mike'" wrote:
La Puce. It is MOST important that you talk to them and 'make friends' with
them. You have to 'live' with them and they are SO important to your
happiness. We have wonderful neighbours all round because we talk to them
and joke with them. One of them people are a bit wary of, but he is fine, he
was the one clearing the pedestrian underpass the other day. Believe it or
not, you have something in common with these and have a 'talking point'.
Find it, enlarge on it, and then 'approach' your problem.

You are entirely right off course. I'll perhaps brace myself and will
go across. But Mike, I have an accent, I'm a little lady, I'm smilling
all the time, I cannot say no, I get distracted and I love animals -
I'm sure they're going to either offer me the bleeding cats or ask me
in for a beer and a game of pool and I'll end up making them some food
and clearing their garden LOL!!!

I just don't have that time. Maybe when I'll retire ...

Only today I approached a neighbour with a problem he was making, (as it
happens he was annoyed by the problem himself, not aware HE was making
it!!!!) and it will be looked into next Tuesday when a rep calls on him!!!
Sorry, but I studied psychology and have dealt with 'The Human Race' for
quite a number of years :-))

It's true, until you talk you simply don't know. You sound like a good
neighbour and a great diplomat )

Old 17-02-2007, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

I just don't have that time. Maybe when I'll retire ...

Now don't fall into the trap that you will do this that and the other when
you retire :-((

I 'AM' retired but there are not enough hours in the day, not enough days in
the week, and not enough weeks in the month to do all the exciting things
:-))

At 70, I am STILL being chased to do 'just this, that or the other' and am
just about to embark on a 'new career'!!!!!!!!

Retirement? How the hell did I find time to go to work?????????

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 17-02-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Retirement? How the hell did I find time to go to work?????????

Retirement?

STRONGLY recommend it :-))

Mike

--