Old 16-02-2007, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default *Very* clingy rosemary

A friend of ours has a wonderful prostrate rosemary and has told us to go
and take cuttings if we want to (they live in Salcombe) This is not the
more usual prostrate one and they can't remember its name. It gives the
impression of clinging to the wall and flowing down it like a curtain and
onwards across the path. It doesn't arch out and then down. Has anyone any
suggestions as to which it might be? If I can get a few suggestions to give
them they might remembers its name. I know it's tender in most places.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-02-2007, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Feb, 13:16, Sacha wrote:
A friend of ours has a wonderful prostrate rosemary and has told us to go
and take cuttings if we want to (they live in Salcombe) This is not the
more usual prostrate one and they can't remember its name. It gives the
impression of clinging to the wall and flowing down it like a curtain and
onwards across the path. It doesn't arch out and then down. Has anyone any
suggestions as to which it might be? If I can get a few suggestions to give
them they might remembers its name. I know it's tender in most places.

There's Primley Blue, Jackman's and Blue Rain. Semi prostrate Corsican
Blue.

Old 16-02-2007, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 16/2/07 13:40, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

On 16 Feb, 13:16, Sacha wrote:
A friend of ours has a wonderful prostrate rosemary and has told us to

go
and take cuttings if we want to (they live in Salcombe) This is not

the
more usual prostrate one and they can't remember its name. It gives

the
impression of clinging to the wall and flowing down it like a curtain

and
onwards across the path. It doesn't arch out and then down. Has

anyone any
suggestions as to which it might be? If I can get a few suggestions to

give
them they might remembers its name. I know it's tender in most places.

There's Primley Blue, Jackman's and Blue Rain. Semi prostrate Corsican
Blue.

None of these remotely fit the description I gave. Primley Blue is *only
just* prostrate and by many is described as upright. I have described the
one we know as appearing almost to cling to the wall. Rosmarinus Blue

Rain
grows to about 2' and will not run down a wall and across a path. It's

more
of a basket or tub plant. R. Jackman's is unknown to me or to Ray or the
Plant Finder or Google. And no, it's not R. Severn Seas, either.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Try contacting Charles Williams (burncoose nurseries) as there is a plant
matching that description in their customer car parking area (sorry I have
no idea which it is - but I have seen them down here and wondered, so am
interested in the answer!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-02-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

-- "Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

None of these remotely fit the description I gave.

--
Sacha

well you wouldn't agree and give praise if it was would you?

So why reply?

Just HOW nasty CAN you get?

:-(((((

Mike

.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk
www.nsrafa.com

Old 16-02-2007, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Feb, 17:40, Sacha wrote:

None of these remotely fit the description I gave. Primley Blue is *only
just* prostrate and by many is described as upright.

'Remotely' is perhaps a bit too hard - but then it's not surprising. I
have a Blue rain which has followed the wall and went under the fence,
because the sun shines on that side. I've seen a Blue Rain entirely
covering a pot, running down the pot and across the path. There's also
Rampart Boule and Tuscan Blue, both are prostrate, the first one is
very rampant. There's so many. I thought you'd needed ideas of names
which is what I have given you. There's Mc Connell's Blue, Benenden
Blue, Corsican blue and Tuscan blue, Dwarf blue, Fota etc.

All are prostate and all can seemingly 'cling' to walls if left to it,
left unpruned. You didn't described how broad are the leaves which is
also something which would help with your search.

Old 17-02-2007, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Feb, 17:40, Sacha wrote:

R. Jackman's is unknown to me or to Ray or the
Plant Finder or Google.

I knew I hadn't imagined it and would find it. Check this link to find
Jackman's Prostrate which is so like the one you describe. I'll get
some pictures of it from a friend. The leaves are a bit broader and
waxy. The catalogue pdf gives you details of it.

http://www.burncoose.co.uk

Old 17-02-2007, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

None of these remotely fit the description I gave. Primley Blue is *only
just* prostrate and by many is described as upright. I have described the
one we know as appearing almost to cling to the wall. Rosmarinus Blue Rain
grows to about 2' and will not run down a wall and across a path. It's more
of a basket or tub plant. R. Jackman's is unknown to me or to Ray or the
Plant Finder or Google. And no, it's not R. Severn Seas, either.

Suggest you might try
National collection holder: Charlesworth, Dr S J

Address: Dr S J Charlesworth, Downderry Nursery, Pillar Box Lane,
Hadlow, Tonbridge, Kent, TN11 9SW,

Telephone: 01732 810081
E-mail:

Website:
www.downderry-nursery.co.uk

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 17-02-2007, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/2/07 12:27, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

None of these remotely fit the description I gave. Primley Blue is *only
just* prostrate and by many is described as upright. I have described the
one we know as appearing almost to cling to the wall. Rosmarinus Blue Rain
grows to about 2' and will not run down a wall and across a path. It's more
of a basket or tub plant. R. Jackman's is unknown to me or to Ray or the
Plant Finder or Google. And no, it's not R. Severn Seas, either.

Suggest you might try
National collection holder: Charlesworth, Dr S J

Address: Dr S J Charlesworth, Downderry Nursery, Pillar Box Lane,
Hadlow, Tonbridge, Kent, TN11 9SW,

Telephone: 01732 810081
E-mail:

Website:
www.downderry-nursery.co.uk

Thanks, Janet, I'll have a look at the rosemary in Salcombe first and
photograph it. I haven't seen it since last summer, so can't remember the
finer details, only its extraordinary growth habit. I'm also going to ask
Olivier Filippi in France if any of his answer that description. (Am also
going to order two or three of R. 'Montagnette' from him, which is a pure
white one) We do know that it's too tender for 'normal' gardens in this
country, so it might not be widely available, other than at places like
Burncoose, as Charlie suggested.

Old 17-02-2007, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:40:26 +0000
Sacha wrote:

[]
Thanks, Janet, I'll have a look at the rosemary in Salcombe first and
photograph it. I haven't seen it since last summer, so can't remember the
finer details, only its extraordinary growth habit. I'm also going to ask
Olivier Filippi in France if any of his answer that description. (Am also
going to order two or three of R. 'Montagnette' from him, which is a pure
white one) We do know that it's too tender for 'normal' gardens in this
country, so it might not be widely available, other than at places like
Burncoose, as Charlie suggested.

In fact my first thought was to check the Filippi web site. 'Barcelona'
might fit the bill. Tender, too.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 17-02-2007, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/2/07 14:16, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:40:26 +0000
Sacha wrote:

[]
Thanks, Janet, I'll have a look at the rosemary in Salcombe first and
photograph it. I haven't seen it since last summer, so can't remember the
finer details, only its extraordinary growth habit. I'm also going to ask
Olivier Filippi in France if any of his answer that description. (Am also
going to order two or three of R. 'Montagnette' from him, which is a pure
white one) We do know that it's too tender for 'normal' gardens in this
country, so it might not be widely available, other than at places like
Burncoose, as Charlie suggested.

In fact my first thought was to check the Filippi web site. 'Barcelona'
might fit the bill. Tender, too.

-E

That sounds very promising indeed. I can't find a pic of that anywhere
either, of course! I've emailed our friends because they're away at present
and asked them to cudgel their memories as to where they got it and if at
all possible, the name. The one they've got must be at least 5 to 6' long
but of course, in the conditions of Salcombe, it has the perfect location.
According to the Plant Finder, Pepiniere Filippi is the sole supplier of
this plant.

Old 17-02-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Feb, 18:03, "'Mike'" wrote:
well you wouldn't agree and give praise if it was would you?
So why reply?
Just HOW nasty CAN you get?
:-(((((

Don't worry Mike and thank you for your support. As I said I've found
Jackman's, the variety she said she never heard of, nor her husband
Ray, nor her books nor google. And Charlie advised her to see at
Burncoose - and they've got it. Mind boggle ...

http://www.burncoose.co.uk

Old 17-02-2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 16 Feb, 18:03, "'Mike'" wrote:
well you wouldn't agree and give praise if it was would you?
So why reply?
Just HOW nasty CAN you get?
:-(((((

Don't worry Mike and thank you for your support. As I said I've found
Jackman's, the variety she said she never heard of, nor her husband
Ray, nor her books nor google. And Charlie advised her to see at
Burncoose - and they've got it. Mind boggle ...

http://www.burncoose.co.uk

You're never too old to learn, unless of course ............
..
.......... 'You know it all' :-))))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 17-02-2007, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/2/07 15:34, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

On 16 Feb, 18:03, "'Mike'" wrote:
well you wouldn't agree and give praise if it was would you?
So why reply?
Just HOW nasty CAN you get?
:-(((((

Don't worry Mike and thank you for your support. As I said I've found
Jackman's, the variety she said she never heard of, nor her husband
Ray, nor her books nor google. And Charlie advised her to see at
Burncoose - and they've got it. Mind boggle ...

http://www.burncoose.co.uk

Charlie did not advise me to see that variety at Burncoose, he advised me to
ask which they have in their car park. That remark is extremely misleading.
You gave me the wrong and incomplete name originally and therefore what you
gave was untraceable. That is not *my* fault but you still persist in
calling it "Jackman's" which is how the confusion arose and why I said there
was no such plant.
Since you gave the correct name, I have established that Burncoose and one
other nursery in the east of UK have that plant. Even Filippi doesn't have
it and as it is not unknown for nurseries to mis-label things, some being
worse than others, I am waiting to hear more from the owners of the house
and to receive a reply from Burncoose as to which is in their car park.
There is no photograph of that variety available, Burncoose don't show it in
their catalogue, nor do they name it as a new variety, so it's possible it's
an unknown one they've named themselves. That happens in some nurseries
when a plant is not identifiable or is e.g. brought back from abroad and the
Plant Finder is full of such examples. We have a shrubby lonicera here that
nobody has ever been able to identify so we simply call it Lonicera 'Hill
House'. We have a rampantly climbing orange-flowered tropaeolum someone
brought us from Peru. You won't find a photograph of those anywhere on the
internet, either.

That might mean R. Jackman's Prostrate is the plant I'm searching for but it
might not. It might also be how the eastern UK nursery got hold of it - from
Burncoose. I am not convinced - personally - that the labelling of that
rosemary as Jackman's Prostrate is conclusive as to its identity.
Anyone can Google for information on prostrate rosemaries, which is what you
did. If I thought that would be the easy method of identifying this one, I
would have been satisfied with doing the same. As it is, I'm hoping to hear
from people who actually know what I'm looking for and at.