Old 17-02-2007, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storing parsnips

I expect this question has been asked before at some time.
I have still got a row of last years parsnips in the ground. They are
in fine condition but I find some of them are beginging to sprout.
I plan to dig them up, but how should I store them. I thought,
perhaps, dry sand?.

Old 18-02-2007, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

fruitbat wrote:
: I expect this question has been asked before at some time.
: I have still got a row of last years parsnips in the ground. They are
: in fine condition but I find some of them are beginging to sprout.
: I plan to dig them up, but how should I store them. I thought,
: perhaps, dry sand?.

You could slice them into meal ready slices and freeze them like we do

Old 18-02-2007, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
fruitbat wrote:
: I expect this question has been asked before at some time.
: I have still got a row of last years parsnips in the ground. They are
: in fine condition but I find some of them are beginging to sprout.
: I plan to dig them up, but how should I store them. I thought,
: perhaps, dry sand?.

You could slice them into meal ready slices and freeze them like we do

Do you blanche them first?

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 18-02-2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote after...
fruitbat asked:
: I expect this question has been asked before at some time.
: I have still got a row of last years parsnips in the ground. They are
: in fine condition but I find some of them are beginging to sprout.
: I plan to dig them up, but how should I store them. I thought,
: perhaps, dry sand?.

You could slice them into meal ready slices and freeze them like we do

Do you blanch them first?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 18-02-2007, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote after...
fruitbat asked:
: I expect this question has been asked before at some time.
: I have still got a row of last years parsnips in the ground. They are
: in fine condition but I find some of them are beginging to sprout.
: I plan to dig them up, but how should I store them. I thought,
: perhaps, dry sand?.

You could slice them into meal ready slices and freeze them like we do

Do you blanch them first?

I'd be interested too. We've never frozen parsnips, but in general I wonder
whether blanching is always as important as often stated. It's certainly a
nuisance when you have a large crop to be frozen.

Richard

Old 18-02-2007, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Richard_G" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote after...
fruitbat asked:
: I expect this question has been asked before at some time.
: I have still got a row of last years parsnips in the ground. They are
: in fine condition but I find some of them are beginging to sprout.
: I plan to dig them up, but how should I store them. I thought,
: perhaps, dry sand?.

You could slice them into meal ready slices and freeze them like we do

Do you blanch them first?

I'd be interested too. We've never frozen parsnips, but in general I
wonder whether blanching is always as important as often stated. It's
certainly a nuisance when you have a large crop to be frozen.

Richard

That's why I raised the question. We seem to feel that blanching is not the
'be all and do all' in freezing.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 18-02-2007, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Richard_G wrote:
: "Bob Hobden" wrote in message
: ...
::
:: "Robert" wrote after...
::: fruitbat asked:
:::: I expect this question has been asked before at some time.
:::: I have still got a row of last years parsnips in the ground. They
:::: are in fine condition but I find some of them are beginging to
:::: sprout.
:::: I plan to dig them up, but how should I store them. I thought,
:::: perhaps, dry sand?.
:::
:
: I'd be interested too. We've never frozen parsnips, but in general I
: wonder whether blanching is always as important as often stated. It's
: certainly a nuisance when you have a large crop to be frozen.
:
: Richard

We don't for parsnips and we've never had food poisoning from them, touch
wood

Old 18-02-2007, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote ...
Richard_G wrote:
: "Bob Hobden" asked

:: "Robert" wrote after...
::: fruitbat asked:
[...]

Good, that make the whole process much easier. I did wonder, as Blanching is
usually to preserve the colour of the fruit/veg, and as Parsnips don't have
much......

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 19-02-2007, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

We don't for parsnips and we've never had food poisoning from them, touch
wood

Good, that make the whole process much easier. I did wonder, as Blanching
is usually to preserve the colour of the fruit/veg, and as Parsnips don't
have much......

We have tried freezing runner beans without blanching. To be honest there
doesn't seem to be much difference in the taste or texture.

Richard

Old 19-02-2007, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Richard_G wrote:
: "Bob Hobden" wrote in message
: ...
:
::: We don't for parsnips and we've never had food poisoning from them,
::: touch wood
:::
:: Good, that make the whole process much easier. I did wonder, as
:: Blanching is usually to preserve the colour of the fruit/veg, and as
:: Parsnips don't have much......
::
:
: We have tried freezing runner beans without blanching. To be honest
: there doesn't seem to be much difference in the taste or texture.
:
: Richard

We had a discussion about blanching last year (broad beans) and somebody put
forward the point that unless blanching took place you could not be
completely safeguarded against food poisoning as even in freezer conditions,
one type of bacteria(?) could multiply

Old 19-02-2007, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
Richard_G wrote:
: "Bob Hobden" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]

Most references talk about breaking down enzymes rather than bacteria. But
on the occasions when we've not used blanching I've not noticed any
degradation. It would would be interesting to know what process the big
frozen food companies use.

Richard

Old 19-02-2007, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Feb, 14:39, "Richard_G" wrote:
Most references talk about breaking down enzymes rather than bacteria. But
on the occasions when we've not used blanching I've not noticed any
degradation. It would would be interesting to know what process the big
frozen food companies use.

Frood, that's what it was called, and it got me giggling ) I can't
beleive Findus Ltd belong to Nestle....

http://www.kzwp.com/lyons2/frood.htm

Blanching, or immersing vegetables in boiling water for a short time,
helps set in the vegetables' color, retains vitamins and keeps them
from continuing to mature. Only peppers, tomatoes and herbs don't
require blanching.

Asparagus, whole stalks - 2 to 4 minutes (shorter time for thinner
stalks)
Green or wax beans, whole - 3 minutes
Broccoli, whole or chopped - 3 minutes
Carrots, small, whole - 5 minutes; diced or sliced - 2 minutes
Corn on the cob - 7 to 11 minutes (depending on size)
Okra, whole - 3 to 4 minutes
Green peas, shelled - 1.5 minutes
Squash, cubed - 2.5 to 3 minutes
Zucchini and summer squash, cubed or sliced - 3 minutes

Old 19-02-2007, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"Robert" wrote in message
Richard_G wrote:
: "Bob Hobden" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]

AFAIK the purpose of blanching is to destroy enzymes which continue to change the
food biochemistry after it has been picked e.g. sugar is coverted into starch in
things like peas and sweetcorn. I dont think this process can be taking place in parsnips
because they still taste sweet quite a long time after they are dug out of the ground.

I think you must be mistaken about blanching for hygeine because it is unlikely to kill a
bacteria population. This is why sterilisation involves boiling for 15-20 mins and all the
flash heat treatments such as UHT use very much higher temps.

Gill M

Storing parsnips Broadback[_3_] United Kingdom 2 07-12-2016 06:28 PM
Parsnips shazzbat United Kingdom 5 26-02-2004 08:55 PM
Bitter Parsnips Charles Drown United Kingdom 22 13-02-2004 02:51 PM
pixie lilies and parsnips shannie United Kingdom 2 22-07-2003 04:11 AM
pixie lilies and parsnips shannie United Kingdom 0 21-07-2003 02:55 AM