Old 18-02-2007, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a grey day...

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

It's come to light some one has been trying to get into my shed via the
roof so now I have to fix that this week.

Isn't gardening fun? Well it would be if all the dole scum stealing
chavs would just die.

Thank God for good neighbours who keep an eye on things for you. :-))

Mike

It was my next door neighbours son who actually alerted me to my side gate
being open, and banging in the wind.
He closed the gate and left a note on my front door.
He's only 10yrs.
Bless him.

Like I said, thank God for good neighbours.

BUT, neighbours are only as good as you are to them :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 18-02-2007, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 18:56, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip Instead of gardening we've 'enjoyed' ourselves filling a couple
of
wheeled 'trucks' with stuff from the boiler room which is to be painted
tomorrow. The accumulation of years of near junk!

How can you possibly describe this valuable material as 'near junk'?

There is no such thing as 'junk' which you have carefully collected over
the
years!

I'd love to attribute 'carefully collected' but shoved in until the door
is
bursting open doesn't quite do it. ;-)

But that is exactly what 'carefully collected' means!

Alan

Old 18-02-2007, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/2/07 23:20, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 18:56, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip Instead of gardening we've 'enjoyed' ourselves filling a couple
of
wheeled 'trucks' with stuff from the boiler room which is to be painted
tomorrow. The accumulation of years of near junk!

How can you possibly describe this valuable material as 'near junk'?

There is no such thing as 'junk' which you have carefully collected over
the
years!

I'd love to attribute 'carefully collected' but shoved in until the door
is
bursting open doesn't quite do it. ;-)

But that is exactly what 'carefully collected' means!

No, Alan, that's squirrelling! ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-02-2007, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 20:11, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 16:48, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:

snip

Isn't gardening fun? Well it would be if all the dole scum stealing
chavs
would just die.

Could just as well be school children simply 'having fun' because
they're
'bored'? I wasn't allowed to utter the word 'bored' when I was a
teenager!
Not sure it had been invented then, either...... ;-))
--

There have been a couple of sheds broken into in the area and the police
have been doing a door to door patrol.

Children on half term?! ;-))
--
Sacha

They are on half term this week in my area.
We've had sheds being broken into over the last few weeks.
They've been at mine during the day time.

Looking on the bright side I've actually got a Margaret Merril rose in
flower.
Going to have a sniff of it now. ;O)

Old 19-02-2007, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 18/2/07 23:20, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/2/07 18:56, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
snip Instead of gardening we've 'enjoyed' ourselves filling a couple
of
wheeled 'trucks' with stuff from the boiler room which is to be painted
tomorrow. The accumulation of years of near junk!
How can you possibly describe this valuable material as 'near junk'?

There is no such thing as 'junk' which you have carefully collected over
the
years!

I'd love to attribute 'carefully collected' but shoved in until the door
is
bursting open doesn't quite do it. ;-)

But that is exactly what 'carefully collected' means!

No, Alan, that's squirrelling! ;-)

Junk is what you throw away today and find a use for tomorrow!

Old 19-02-2007, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/2/07 09:38, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip

Children on half term?! ;-))
--
Sacha

They are on half term this week in my area.
We've had sheds being broken into over the last few weeks.
They've been at mine during the day time.

It's half term here this week but our local school is a primary and the
adolescent hormones haven't kicked in yet. I'm touching wood as I write
this!

Looking on the bright side I've actually got a Margaret Merril rose in
flower.
Going to have a sniff of it now. ;O)

Little lift of the spirits!

Old 19-02-2007, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Feb, 09:38, "Draven" wrote:
They are on half term this week in my area.
We've had sheds being broken into over the last few weeks.
They've been at mine during the day time.
Looking on the bright side I've actually got a Margaret Merril rose in
flower.
Going to have a sniff of it now. ;O)

Old Tony yesterday told me quite a good idea - he has never had his
shed broken into. He told me that's because he puts his buckets of
salty slugs/snails by the door, comfrey mix and fag mix as well. The
stench is so formidable, kids run from it. I usually manage to clear
it all by november and sometimes mine don't smell until you move them
about - but am going to try it and see (and perhaps hang the bones
which I find when digging on the doors of my sheds, with feathers etc.
- hoping that would be scary?! (Though my kids would be curious and
would like to see inside ... and I would have been too as a kid ;o)

Old 19-02-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Feb, 09:38, "Draven" wrote:
[...]

Good idea.
But my shed has a fire door with a 5 lever insurance approved lock.
It's not the door that's at risk it's the roof. Which they have been having
a go at on a daily basis.

Old 19-02-2007, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/2/07 17:00, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

snip
Good idea.
But my shed has a fire door with a 5 lever insurance approved lock.
It's not the door that's at risk it's the roof. Which they have been having
a go at on a daily basis.

Is it illegal to cover it with barbed wire? How about a CCTV camera (or
even a fake one) perched where they can't reach it? A blinding light? Some
kind of trembler device that sets off an ear-splitting siren such as used in
South African burglar alarms?!

Old 19-02-2007, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Draven wrote:
"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Feb, 09:38, "Draven" wrote:
[...]

Having a go from the roof or from below? If from the roof how about
fixing carpet gripper to it, or anti vandal paint?
Old 19-02-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Draven wrote:
"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Feb, 09:38, "Draven" wrote:
[...]

They have been coming over the back fence which my neighbour erected last
year.
He removed the impenetrable privet to do it.

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but I
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Thing is where do you get barbed wire from?
B&Q don't seem to have any.

Old 19-02-2007, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/2/07 17:52, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

snip

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but I
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Thing is where do you get barbed wire from?
B&Q don't seem to have any.

Farmer's merchant, that sort of place or look online for some to be
delivered to you, perhaps?
Careful with the spike thing. I replaced an old iron fence which had spikes
on top and was told I couldn't put spikes onto the new one, only blunt
pencil shaped things with no point at all.

Old 20-02-2007, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 19/2/07 17:52, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

snip

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but I
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs
and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Thing is where do you get barbed wire from?
B&Q don't seem to have any.

Farmer's merchant, that sort of place or look online for some to be
delivered to you, perhaps?
Careful with the spike thing. I replaced an old iron fence which had
spikes
on top and was told I couldn't put spikes onto the new one, only blunt
pencil shaped things with no point at all.
--

Who told you you couldn't put spikes on your fence?

As I see it as long as I put a sign up stating of anti-climb measures on the
fence I shouldn't have a problem.
Why are they climbing over my 7 foot fence anyway?

Old 20-02-2007, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Feb, 15:09, Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have a
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind to
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

glorious sunshine and blue skies here, the freesias are a picture in
the garden and the ranunculus just coming out. Have just bought a
Hardenbergia for its beautiful flowers at this time of the year, going
to grow it along my front fence, alos coming out is a wonderfully
scented jasmine, even smell it while the buds are waiting to open,
that will join the Hardenbergia along the fence, so it will be a
mixture as there is already a purple bourgainvillia there, hopefully
giving colour throughout the year.

Grey day ;-( Sacha United Kingdom 12 05-08-2013 10:43 AM
What a grey day... Sacha[_4_] United Kingdom 68 04-01-2010 04:56 PM
Rainy, grey, grey, sun, grey, rainy etc. Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 12 03-06-2008 07:52 PM
Plant Explorers FYI Rainy Day or Winter day joys William Wagner Gardening 0 04-09-2004 05:10 PM