Old 20-02-2007, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a grey day...

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:42:20 GMT, "Draven" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 19/2/07 17:52, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

snip

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs
and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed
hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Thing is where do you get barbed wire from?
B&Q don't seem to have any.

Farmer's merchant, that sort of place or look online for some to be
delivered to you, perhaps?
Careful with the spike thing. I replaced an old iron fence which had
spikes
on top and was told I couldn't put spikes onto the new one, only blunt
pencil shaped things with no point at all.
--

Who told you you couldn't put spikes on your fence?

As I see it as long as I put a sign up stating of anti-climb measures on
the
fence I shouldn't have a problem.

You will if somebody is injured.

Why are they climbing over my 7 foot fence anyway?

To get to the other side?
--

Martin

Being my garden.
What are they doing in my garden?
I say you should have a right to protect your property from intruders and
intruders should have no rights in such a case.

Old 20-02-2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/2/07 09:42, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 19/2/07 17:52, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

snip

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but I
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs
and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Thing is where do you get barbed wire from?
B&Q don't seem to have any.

Farmer's merchant, that sort of place or look online for some to be
delivered to you, perhaps?
Careful with the spike thing. I replaced an old iron fence which had
spikes
on top and was told I couldn't put spikes onto the new one, only blunt
pencil shaped things with no point at all.
--

Who told you you couldn't put spikes on your fence?

The blacksmith who made it for me. He told me it's against the law to have
spiky spikes in case Burglar Bill hurts himself.

As I see it as long as I put a sign up stating of anti-climb measures on the
fence I shouldn't have a problem.
Why are they climbing over my 7 foot fence anyway?

I sympathise with your pov but it would be worth checking your situation
first.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-02-2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/2/07 10:23, in article
, "Mike in Spain"
wrote:

On 18 Feb, 15:09, Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have a
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind to
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

glorious sunshine and blue skies here, the freesias are a picture in
the garden and the ranunculus just coming out. Have just bought a
Hardenbergia for its beautiful flowers at this time of the year, going
to grow it along my front fence, alos coming out is a wonderfully
scented jasmine, even smell it while the buds are waiting to open,
that will join the Hardenbergia along the fence, so it will be a
mixture as there is already a purple bourgainvillia there, hopefully
giving colour throughout the year.

Bah humbug!

Old 21-02-2007, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Draven
writes

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but I
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Wouldn't lightweight trellis on top of the fence be better? it doesn't
take the weight of hefty burglars and might be a deterrent. They often
cite this as a useful security tip on police programmes.

Why not grow a nice thorny rose over the shed, or Pyracantha up the side
of the fence? ?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-02-2007, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Feb, 14:09, Sacha wrote:
I don't know what everybody else is getting weatherwise but here we have a
'Dartmoor clag' sitting about 8" above our heads and not a breath of wind to
blow it away. It's v. depressing and doesn't make any of us feel like
gardening. ;-) The only note of real colour is a lovely big trolley full
of massed primulas - gorgeous! Two or three days ago we had a brilliantly
blue and sunny day and it's frustrating to think it's up there somewhere!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Today, it is beautiful at Norwich. I have just been to my parents'
grave and the churchyard is in bloom with thousands of snowdrops. The
crocus that I planted on the grave are in bloom and I can also see
tete a tete are just about to flower. On my way home, I bought some
tomato seeds and I shall sow these now in the greenhouse where it is
surprising warm inside.

Judith at home

Old 21-02-2007, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Draven
writes

I've just ordered some wall spikes to put on the fence.
My neighbour has got some of that tar paint to put on his shed roof but I
pointed out to him that the cats, including mine, lye on the shed roofs
and
sleep in the sun.
I'm going to get some barbed wire to fix from the fence to my shed hence
cutting of them getting between the gap.

Wouldn't lightweight trellis on top of the fence be better? it doesn't
take the weight of hefty burglars and might be a deterrent. They often
cite this as a useful security tip on police programmes.

Why not grow a nice thorny rose over the shed, or Pyracantha up the side
of the fence? ?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I was thinking along those lines and was going to go for prickly holly in
the gap between my shed and the fence.

Old 21-02-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 21, 3:13 pm, Martin wrote:
In Zuid Holland it has rained all day, the garden is water logged again.
The sun is struggling to come out.

It's 21C (Lidl scale) inside and 12 C (Lidl scale) outside.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

We are only 40 minutes from Amsterdam, by air, so the distance is not
so great.

Last night it poured and poured, the river has, yet again, broke it's
banks and flooded the road and the surrounding fields. When this
happens, instead of it taking me 6 minutes to get to my office, I have
to go twice the distance as I have to go to a village that is not en
route and then double back by a main road.

I passed Lidl today on my way to the churchyard and I saw 2 big
posters in their windows but I was going too fast to read them except,
it said special offers and I am sure it said "garden" so I shall look
online to see if it's anything worthwhile. Is Lidl in Holland the
same as Lidl here? In that, do they have the same offers, just in a
different language.

Judith at home

Old 21-02-2007, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/2/07 15:04, in article
,
" wrote:

On 18 Feb, 14:09, Sacha wrote:
[...]

We woke to the most beautiful morning but it had rained in the night so the
drops on the naked branches of the trees, sparkled like diamonds in the
early sunlight - it was a most enchanting sight. Then, as the day has gone
on, it has clouded over and we've had intermittent rain and wind. But at
least I can *see*! The most distant fields and hills are visible whereas
when I posted the original in this thread, they were totally disguised by
low cloud.

Old 21-02-2007, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 21, 4:51 pm, Martin wrote:
On 21 Feb 2007 07:47:03 -0800, "

wrote:
On Feb 21, 3:13 pm, Martin wrote:
In Zuid Holland it has rained all day, the garden is water logged again.
The sun is struggling to come out.

It's 21C (Lidl scale) inside and 12 C (Lidl scale) outside.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

We are only 40 minutes from Amsterdam, by air, so the distance is not
so great.

Last night it poured and poured, the river has,

The same here. It's cleared up and the sun is shining now.

yet again, broke it's
banks and flooded the road and the surrounding fields. When this
happens, instead of it taking me 6 minutes to get to my office, I have
to go twice the distance as I have to go to a village that is not en
route and then double back by a main road.

I passed Lidl today on my way to the churchyard and I saw 2 big
posters in their windows but I was going too fast to read them except,
it said special offers and I am sure it said "garden" so I shall look
online to see if it's anything worthwhile.

Garden week starts on 26-2-07 in Germanyhttp://www.lidl.de/de/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070226.index.ar5

Is Lidl in Holland the
same as Lidl here?

Yes Lidl and Aldi are German. They are all over Europe, even in France.

In that, do they have the same offers, just in a
different language.

They have the same or similar offers, but not at the same time.
Often you are offered better stuff in UK than us, although we get offered their
Strong Beer more often. In Lidl Netherlands it is satellite receivers this week.http://www.lidl.nl/nl/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070222.index

In Aldi it is Italian week.

Lidl's ABM flour is good and so was their Bordeaux wine last year.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Martin, I have told my husband about the flour as he is
experimenting at the moment to get a balance between white and brown.

JudithL at home

Old 21-02-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

A plant which does a good impression of razor wire is COLLETIA hystrix
(armata) .

Old 23-02-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I've fixed the hole in my Shed and I have attached fence spikes to most of
the fence.

It seems the Chavs resent me stopping them from getting to my shed and have
taken to shooting my glass greenhouse with an air rifle.

Old 23-02-2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/2/07 09:12, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:
snip

I've fixed the hole in my Shed and I have attached fence spikes to most of
the fence.

It seems the Chavs resent me stopping them from getting to my shed and have
taken to shooting my glass greenhouse with an air rifle.

CCTV camera out of their reach and range!

Old 23-02-2007, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Draven
writes

I've fixed the hole in my Shed and I have attached fence spikes to most of
the fence.

It seems the Chavs resent me stopping them from getting to my shed and have
taken to shooting my glass greenhouse with an air rifle.

Must remember never to buy a house in your neck of the woods, sounds
horrendous!
Old 23-02-2007, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

CCTV camera out of their reach and range!

You can understand why people finally crack and decide to do something
drastic to the little darlings.
No doubt they will plead ignorance, poverty, bad parenting, drug abuse
and other mitigating circumstances for their behaviour.
Why are people so surprised that this sort of behaviour often
precipitates aggression ?

Grey day ;-( Sacha United Kingdom 12 05-08-2013 10:43 AM
What a grey day... Sacha[_4_] United Kingdom 68 04-01-2010 04:56 PM
Rainy, grey, grey, sun, grey, rainy etc. Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 12 03-06-2008 07:52 PM
Plant Explorers FYI Rainy Day or Winter day joys William Wagner Gardening 0 04-09-2004 05:10 PM