Old 20-02-2007, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sooty deposits on Ilex "Silver Milkboy"

Hi All...

If i didn't know better i'd say sooty mould from aphid "droppings" but it's
thr wrong time of year. These plants (4 to 5 feet) have been outside all
year and have sooty black deposits on the leaves. These deposits rub off
with a finger or thumb.

These Ilex Aquifolium are variagated, in pots and we're stumped...

any ideas for what it is and a control?

Thanks for any help... back to google /

Les (Blakeney House Nurseries)

Old 20-02-2007, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Richard Burge" wrote
If i didn't know better i'd say sooty mould from aphid "droppings" but
it's thr wrong time of year. These plants (4 to 5 feet) have been outside
all year and have sooty black deposits on the leaves. These deposits rub
off with a finger or thumb.

These Ilex Aquifolium are variagated, in pots and we're stumped...

any ideas for what it is and a control?

Scale Insect.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 20-02-2007, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Feb, 09:52, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Richard Burge" wrote
If i didn't know better i'd say sooty mould from aphid "droppings" but
it's thr wrong time of year. These plants (4 to 5 feet) have been outside
all year and have sooty black deposits on the leaves. These deposits rub
off with a finger or thumb.
These Ilex Aquifolium are variagated, in pots and we're stumped...
any ideas for what it is and a control?

Scale Insect.

Sounds like it indeed. Richard, you should have seen the scale insects
last year and now the mould is living on the honeydew they extracts.
Check this for confirmation. I have a similar problem with an acer.
Every year without fail, if I don't get rid of the scale insects,
everything below that tree is later covered of sooty mould.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/scale.htm

Old 20-02-2007, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Richard Burge writes
Hi All...

If i didn't know better i'd say sooty mould from aphid "droppings" but it's
thr wrong time of year. These plants (4 to 5 feet) have been outside all
year and have sooty black deposits on the leaves. These deposits rub off
with a finger or thumb.

These Ilex Aquifolium are variagated, in pots and we're stumped...

any ideas for what it is and a control?

Thanks for any help... back to google /

Scale insect? Usually what you notice first is the black deposits.
Search for the scale insects under leaves *above* the area of black
deposit.
--
Kay
Old 20-02-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message Scale Insect.

Sounds like it indeed. Richard, you should have seen the scale insects
last year and now the mould is living on the honeydew they extracts.
Check this for confirmation. I have a similar problem with an acer.
Every year without fail, if I don't get rid of the scale insects,
everything below that tree is later covered of sooty mould.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/scale.htm

Even after all the rain over the winter? i thought any exudate from the
insects would have washed off by now...

i'll take a look at the link... thanks for the pointers all!

Les

Old 20-02-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

Bob, La Puce and K... Thank you..

Just been out to the yard (re-potting the prickly buggers as we speak...)
and discovered beautiful brown scale insects hiding under their waxy coats
underneath the leaves and above the sooty mould.

Now... La Puce's link mentioned Provado as a systemic control. Off to find
some (or similar as we're commercial and I still have a whole lot to learn,
as you can tell )

Old 20-02-2007, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Richard Burge" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message

Bob, La Puce and K... Thank you..

Just been out to the yard (re-potting the prickly buggers as we
speak...) and discovered beautiful brown scale insects hiding under
their waxy coats underneath the leaves and above the sooty mould.

Now... La Puce's link mentioned Provado as a systemic control. Off
to find some (or similar as we're commercial and I still have a
whole lot to learn, as you can tell )

Intercept is the commercial form.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 20-02-2007, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Feb, 13:05, "Richard Burge" wrote:
Now... La Puce's link mentioned Provado as a systemic control. Off to find
some (or similar as we're commercial and I still have a whole lot to learn,
as you can tell )

That's great Richard but don't quote me on using chemicals! I'm
totally organic!! I remove my scale insects with washing up liquid and
a tooth brush, or using the back of my gorgeous knife, a Nontron, the
oldest found French knife (but that's another story ;o)

Old 20-02-2007, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/2/07 13:05, in article ,
"Richard Burge" wrote:

"K" wrote in message

Bob, La Puce and K... Thank you..

Just been out to the yard (re-potting the prickly buggers as we speak...)
and discovered beautiful brown scale insects hiding under their waxy coats
underneath the leaves and above the sooty mould.

Now... La Puce's link mentioned Provado as a systemic control. Off to find
some (or similar as we're commercial and I still have a whole lot to learn,
as you can tell )

Richard, we get our stuff from Syngenta, if it's of any help to you to look
up their web site.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-02-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

Bob, La Puce and K... Thank you..

Just been out to the yard (re-potting the prickly buggers as we speak...)
and discovered beautiful brown scale insects hiding under their waxy
coats underneath the leaves and above the sooty mould.

Now... La Puce's link mentioned Provado as a systemic control. Off to
find some (or similar as we're commercial and I still have a whole lot to
learn, as you can tell )

Intercept is the commercial form.
--
Rod

Found something that deals with the blighters in the "poisons" cupboard. We
have not had to resort to chemicals up here for years!

21 5 foot Ilex Aquifolium may be difficult with a toothbrush ;o)

Les

Old 20-02-2007, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

Bob, La Puce and K... Thank you..

Just been out to the yard (re-potting the prickly buggers as we
speak...) and discovered beautiful brown scale insects hiding under
their waxy coats underneath the leaves and above the sooty mould.

Now... La Puce's link mentioned Provado as a systemic control. Off
to find some (or similar as we're commercial and I still have a
whole lot to learn, as you can tell )

Intercept is the commercial form.

Thanks Rod (back on home PC now... hence name change..) Will try the gunk
we have on the next calm dry day. If not we will look for that one.. I
hate to use chemicals and wouldn't at home... But my boss is pretty good,
only using as the last resort.

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd
time!"

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 20-02-2007, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Feb, 16:28, "Richard Burge" wrote:
Found something that deals with the blighters in the "poisons" cupboard. We
have not had to resort to chemicals up here for years!
21 5 foot Ilex Aquifolium may be difficult with a toothbrush ;o)

There's that. I won't tell anyone ;o)